An Old School Catholic Message Board

Ireland Reff/ Marriage

superblue

Nihil Obstat

So if it gets bad enough then what? Do you break off or ? Honestly curious.

I do not understand the question.

Nihil Obstat

If things get bad enough in the Church. If the crisis goes to far.

The only thing we can do us continue to fight. That is what Jesus expects of us.

That is not to say things cannot still get very, very bad. Ireland is proof enough. The Arian crisis is proof enough. There will be heresies.

I hope hell is empty. I wouldnt wish it on anyone.

Many of the posts in this thread have disturbed me to my core. If there is a God, I hope he is more forgiving and caring than what I have seen here. Legit emo.

Edited by CrossCuT

Nihil Obstat

Many of the posts in this thread have disturbed me to my core. If there is a God, I hope he is more forgiving and caring than what I have seen here. Legit emo.

We hear big dramatic statements like this every single time the topic of hell comes up. Christ Himself said that many will be lost. Why is this so disturbing for some people? We humans have free will to use and abuse.

We hear big dramatic statements like this every single time the topic of hell comes up. Christ Himself said that many will be lost. Why is this so disturbing for some people? We humans have free will to use and abuse.

​Im sorry my concern for others confuses you.

KnightofChrist

It really comes down to whether or not we believe the teachings of Christ or reject the teachings of Christ. Christ teaches that hell is not empty, and will not be empty at the end of the age. He teaches that in relation to those that are dåmned those that will be saved are few. Few could be billions, trillions, or greater. But they will be fewer than the dåmned. It makes me very sad in human terms to know that there will be souls in hell. But I choose to believe Christ, even though it is a hard teaching.

Edited by KnightofChrist

KnightofChrist

​It is not a matter of wishing anyone to hell. It is about believing Christ. If the best physician or doctor teaches that a certain illness has a terminal rate of 90% and only a 10% rate of survival for those who contract it, it would not be wishing anyone to die if I repeat what that doctor says.

I dont understand how the hope for no one to go to hell is incompatible with your faith.

Nihil Obstat

I dont understand how the hope for no one to go to hell is incompatible with your faith.

Because it directly contradicts the actual words from God on the topic. If one asks "dare we hope?" And God says such hope is in vain, then we dare not.

KnightofChrist

Hope must have the possibility of becoming true. If we hope no one ever dies a natural death on the earth our hope is in vain, because all living things on the earth die a natural death.

veritasluxmea

I think that if God has infinite mercy, it will cover a lot of sins.

​God's infinite mercy covers all sins. Not just a lot of them, not just some of them, but all of them. Thank God. But only the person who has committed those sins can allow Him to cover them (transform is a better word).  If the person doesn't reach out to God and His forgiveness and mercy in whatever way they can... He can't help them. Period. It'd be like making a square circle. 

I dont understand how the hope for no one to go to hell is incompatible with your faith.​

​Put it this way, I hope (wish might be a better word) that from today on no one goes to hell. I work and pray for everyone living right now to be saved because I know that all of them technically can be saved if they wish it's a very real possibility that many of them might be saved. However, we know in general based on Christ's words that a number of people have gone to hell and will be in hell for eternity, and hell is a very real possibility for every person living right now. 

Hope must have the possibility of becoming true. If we hope no one ever dies a natural death on the earth our hope is in vain, because all living things on the earth die a natural death.

​Those living when Christ returns will not die a natural death so . . .

theory REJECTED.

The rest of this post is just thinking out loud feel free to ignore it as we've gone way off-topic.

I know hell is not empty. There are people who upon their death bed would surely spit in the face of Christ and His mercy because of pride or just pure seething hatred of God and all things holy. But I'm weak. I'm not a hero or a saint and I have many flaws I can only hope God comes to my aid on the day that I die and that the prayers of mother Mary protect me. I also wish for all those I know and love to be saved, even though most of them outwardly appear to reject God. They have been swooned and deceived by the philosophies of this day and age, and they are weak too. I pray to God daily for their health and well-being, but most of all that they be saved in the end, or at least before they die will be fully conscious of the consequences of their choice. That's how I deal with it, although mass damnation is still a very upsetting idea to me.

I still hope the number of the saved is high. Christ said lots of cryptic things, I don't claim to be a scholar, but I do know that presuming one will be saved is a very dangerous line to walk. So maybe there is a reason in the rhetoric. idk many things. I frequently ask Christ to have mercy on me and those I love. What else can one do really?

Benedictus

The Church prays that no one should be lost: "Lord, let me never be parted from you." If it is true that no one can save himself, it is also true that God "desires all men to be saved" (1 Tim 2:4), and that for him "all things are possible" (Mt 19:26).

I don't think God would make the conditions for people harder or more harsh than prior to the time of the Gospel; it is the Good news afterall. God is all about love and all he does is take people in that direction. People themselves are damaged, hurt, misunderstood or 'bad' for various reasons and the heart is only really known to God, not us. I see Hell as meaning many things in the Bible, and in the tradition, some things being universal to all of us and some specific. I see it more as a spiritual prison, but not just in a punitive sense. Most of the punishment aspects and the 'pay back' attitudes seem more about human expectations and cultural mindset/psychology than anything about God. God is about reconciliation and rebuilding relationship always, period.. We are supposed to also be apart of that work. I hope most people will eventually find their way to God. But I think it's possible some could, at least in theory, never want to do so.