An Old School Catholic Message Board

White Privilege?

Anastasia13

If I own a business and give a job to my son; is that considered <white privilege>?  Is it morally wrong?

If I own a business and give a job to my son; is that considered <white privilege>?  Is it morally wrong?

1) You are aware that there was a vibrant Native American community that the self-serving "Canadians" kicked them out.  Do you have any clue what the world "Cajun" comes from.  It comes from the driving out of the French Indian mixed breeds into Acadia (Maine) who left and then went further down the Mississippi to get the farthest they could possibly get away.  Your version of Quebec culture means white-washed Frenchies hanging on to whichever semblance of pompus nonsense they can as they pretend to be their own country.

2) Giving a piece of personal property to a child is in no way racist, no matter what color you are.  However, there has been a new call in the business world not to hire by referral people's aunts/uncles/parents/children because they contribute to a very whitewashed business unit, especially in upper management.

Look, no one's saying you can't have good things because you are white.  You live in a country that has far better race relations than America does.  You probably don't see it.  There was a whole push in the 90's where many Canadians (and British) adopted black American babies because they would have a far better life than growing up in the American south.  I met the half-brothers once, during an reunion.  The boy who'd been adopted and lived in Canada really did have a completely different life experience with race than his brother.  The young candadian boy didn't understand the ugly world that he was in and why when he yelled at his younger brother (who was white) they called security, but when his older brother (white also) played a mean trick he wasn't penalize at all. 

You are describing both racial eletism and clasism.  There's no problem in undersanding and preserving heritage, it just can't be done at the cost of others, and quite frankly most Eastern Canadian and American "culture" has been done at a VERY high cost to native peoples.

​That's an example of class "privilege", not white "privilege." They're not using their skin color to get a lawyer, they're using their money. 

​are not they one in the same, in this case?

In principle there is nothing wrong with hiring a white man over an equally competent black man. Skin color affects social cohesion and is thus a relevant factor for a business - as well as for a nation. 

​it would be morally wrong if you didn't favor your son.  unless you didn't or don't get along, but that's another story!

In principle there is nothing wrong with hiring a white man over an equally competent black man. Skin color affects social cohesion and is thus a relevant factor for a business - as well as for a nation. 

​I wish I  was Japanese instead of a white-washed piece of croutons.

*sigh*

:cry4:

Edited by Didacus
I wanted to edit my post.

dominicansoul

1) You are aware that there was a vibrant Native American community that the self-serving "Canadians" kicked them out.  Do you have any clue what the world "Cajun" comes from.  It comes from the driving out of the French Indian mixed breeds into Acadia (Maine) who left and then went further down the Mississippi to get the farthest they could possibly get away.  Your version of Quebec culture means white-washed Frenchies hanging on to whichever semblance of pompus nonsense they can as they pretend to be their own country.

2) Giving a piece of personal property to a child is in no way racist, no matter what color you are.  However, there has been a new call in the business world not to hire by referral people's aunts/uncles/parents/children because they contribute to a very whitewashed business unit, especially in upper management.

Look, no one's saying you can't have good things because you are white.  You live in a country that has far better race relations than America does.  You probably don't see it.  There was a whole push in the 90's where many Canadians (and British) adopted black American babies because they would have a far better life than growing up in the American south.  I met the half-brothers once, during an reunion.  The boy who'd been adopted and lived in Canada really did have a completely different life experience with race than his brother.  The young candadian boy didn't understand the ugly world that he was in and why when he yelled at his younger brother (who was white) they called security, but when his older brother (white also) played a mean trick he wasn't penalize at all. 

You are describing both racial eletism and clasism.  There's no problem in undersanding and preserving heritage, it just can't be done at the cost of others, and quite frankly most Eastern Canadian and American "culture" has been done at a VERY high cost to native peoples.

​Those freaking Canadians... 

​Those freaking Canadians... 

​I can't believe you nibbled at the bait!   :o

Beware the hook, it is evil!

:incense:

​And what people forget, Obama is half-white so despite his adherence to being the big black guy, he's not really.  I'm pretty convinced this is one of the only reasons that he was elected...if he was 100% or dark skined he wouldn't of been.

​I'm pretty convinced Obama's "black" race was one of the only reasons he was elected, as he had accomplished remarkably little real before being elected President.  His "blackness" worked to his advantage, rather than against him.  (It got people excited about being part of the "history" of supporting the First Black President, and allowed the cheap, though effective tactic of accusing anyone against him of racism.)

Who defines what this "white privilege" is?  What is the criteria? At what point does this "white privilege" become no longer?  Who decides?

​Al Sharpton, I think.

I work with underprivleged persons, some who do better than others, no matter their skin color.  I do see some disadvanteges.  I can send an average white person to walmart for a suit but not an average black male or asian woman beucase they simply don't carry clothing that fits them.  It does matter...maybe not to you, but it does.

​First, there is in fact very little difference in average height and size between races.  In fact, this national survey shows that the average height blacks men is actually slightly less than that of whites.  I'm white and I know plenty of black guys shorter than myself (I'm 6'.) Most people of both races are within "average" range, and an unusually tall or big white guy would have just as much trouble finding a suit that fits as an unusually tall or big black guy.  And there are "Big and Tall" stores to cater to such folks. (Similar situation with unusually short/small persons,)  I very much doubt any of this has anything to do with racism.

Secondly, billions of people around the world would kill to live in a country in which something like having to look a little harder to find a suit that fits would be listed as a major instance of "oppression."

This striving to find "racism" and "bigotry" everywhere is a symptom of our whiny, petty, grievance-obsessed culture.

But saying that obviously proves me an Evil Racist White Guy.

America is horribly racist and oppressive to anyone not white, which explains why millions of non-white people from over the world flock here.

Credo in Deum

​I'm pretty convinced Obama's "black" race was one of the only reasons he was elected, as he had accomplished remarkably little real before being elected President.  His "blackness" worked to his advantage, rather than against him.  (It got people excited about being part of the "history" of supporting the First Black President, and allowed the cheap, though effective tactic of accusing anyone against him of racism.)

Sadly, the same type of novelty loving is what's going to push Hilary to the commander and chief position.  

Sadly, the same type of novelty loving is what's going to push Hilary to the commander and chief position.  

​I didn't know she was black!

I guess you learn something new every day.  

This striving to find "racism" and "bigotry" everywhere is a symptom of our whiny, petty, grievance-obsessed culture.  

​true dat

MarysLittleFlower

​Not really.  "State of mind" dosn't fix many of the things that I questiond about earlier.  It dosn't fix the fact that bandaids look ludicrous on black skin, or that becuase of their size asin woman are often forced to shop in the juniors or even children's sections.  It dosn't change the fact that modern makeup still tends to encourage black women to look lighter-skinned or that hair care is still almost universally geared for the straigh-haired white person who's hair gets oily overnight.

Now, you can say these things don't matter beucase you've never faced a world where finding clothing, medical, hair care and skin care products is difficult.

I find most band aids are clear or a very tan colour that's an in between colour in general... I'm pale and they stand out on me too. With shampoo I don't know if companies make more money focusing on daily shampoo because more shampoo gets used that way. I agree though that theres a fashion for people of other races lighten their hair etc... Personally I believe in being how God made you and I don't wear makeup etc. Actually I'm often much more pale than what is "trendy". Its not accepted to have no tan either.