An Old School Catholic Message Board

Fabulous win by the US Women's Soccer Team

Yaatee

franciscanheart

I think you either placed the videos opposite the intended order OR you mean "ridiculous" in the "HOW DID THEY EVEN DO THAT THAT IS SO AMAZING" way.

NadaTeTurbe

Opposite the intended order ? LIke, I find the USA Vs Japan amazing (but this is ridiculous because there is women /insert sarcasm/), and the Germany/argentina not very good at all (well, there's some good moment. but, mostly, it was BORING), (but it is not ridiculous because there is men /insert sarcasm/)

Women playing soccer, one of the most ridiculous things egalitarianism has brought us. 

I 300% literally can't even...

:twitch:

veritasluxmea

Women playing soccer, one of the most ridiculous things egalitarianism has brought us. 

:coffee:  

oh my goodness (don't blasphemy). If one more person beeshes about how much the women made financially in this tournament...

They didn't have to go to the tournament. They didn't have to participate. Let's start there. And since I'm already hated by feminists for starting there, let's get to the real point: IF WOMEN'S FOOTBALL WAS SUPPORTED IN THE SAME WAY MEN'S FOOTBALL HAS BEEN SUPPORTED FOR UMPTEEN YEARS, THEY TOO WOULD BE RECEIVING BOUCOUP. But women's football HASN'T been supported in the same way. People DON'T watch with the same fervor as they do the men's teams. They don't show up to the matches the way they do for men's teams. They don't buy the merch, interact on social, etc. It's a BUSINESS. When the women start pulling in consistent viewership -- both in person and on the telly -- they will start seeing the money the men do.

Did you know that in the United States, we have had three different women's national leagues? The first two folded after three seasons each. THREE SEASONS. That's ludicrous.

I feel like I'm not all that intelligent and even I can see why the women making less RIGHT NOW is totally fair.

Want to see the women get more money? Watch more games. Go to more matches. This is not personal, it's business.

For everyone who thinks the women were cheated for receiving "so little" financially for their win: http://www.businessinsider.com/womens-small-soccer-salaries-are-fair-2015-7

The good news is that, at least for now, people are doing what is required to see these women earn more: http://espn.go.com/espnw/news-commentary/article/13217266/national-women-soccer-league-upbeat-potential-windfall-via-world-cup

I think youre highlighting the superficial narrative that makes sense from a monetary prospective, but the underlying issue is people dont give a floop about women doing anything.

We also CHOOSE lower paying jobs because our uterus doesnt allow us to aspire to anything more than wanting to spend the most time with our kids. So the wage gap is fair too.

Edited by CrossCuT

franciscanheart

I think youre highlighting the superficial narrative that makes sense from a monetary prospective, but the underlying issue is people dont give a floop about women doing anything.

Wrong. The women set records all over the place with this tournament and people are paying attention. People are interested. Maybe this is what it took. Did it come way too late in the game? In my opinion, yes. But am I going to whine about the past now that our present is making (what is sure to be) history? NOPE.

Wrong. The women set records all over the place with this tournament and people are paying attention. People are interested. Maybe this is what it took. Did it come way too late in the game? In my opinion, yes. But am I going to whine about the past now that our present is making (what is sure to be) history? NOPE.

That is fair, but the problem still remains.

Its also the prize money awarded by FIFA which was doubled in the last year or so. Im wondering what affect merch sales or attendance has on a 1 million dollar raise in a short amount of time? Does merch sales have anything to do with the prize money? Id have to look into it unless you know.

Edited by CrossCuT

franciscanheart

That is fair, but the problem still remains.

Its also the prize money awarded by FIFA which was doubled in the last year or so. Im wondering what affect merch sales or attendance has on a 1 million dollar raise in a short amount of time? Does merch sales have anything to do with the prize money? Id have to look into it unless you know.

Well, I mean, as for FIFA, I don't know if purchasing their merch changes things, but I know that showing up for matches and watching them on TV does affect things. If FIFA sees an interested market, they're more likely to dump the funding. Did you read the article I posted above?

I 300% literally can't even...

:twitch:

It is beyond me that people at a Catholic forum '300% literally can't even...' understand that someone would reserve certain activities for a certain sex. 

Up until 50 years ago soccer was even considered not-done for any middle- and upper-class Catholic man....

Well, I mean, as for FIFA, I don't know if purchasing their merch changes things, but I know that showing up for matches and watching them on TV does affect things. If FIFA sees an interested market, they're more likely to dump the funding. Did you read the article I posted above?

I skimmed the first one and it basically was saying the gap is fair because society doesn't value women as much as men and blamed the activists for not going to games. 

franciscanheart

It is beyond me that people at a Catholic forum '300% literally can't even...' understand that someone would reserve certain activities for a certain sex. 

Up until 50 years ago soccer was even considered not-done for any middle- and upper-class Catholic man....

:wall: There's a reason you're a phishy.

I skimmed the first one and it basically was saying the gap is fair because society doesn't value women as much as men and blamed the activists for not going to games. 

CC. Don't skim. Please. And if people want to see them paid more, they should pump more money into the sport. This is really basic business principle.

It's a sociological iron law that the more women participate in any activity, the less status it has among the general public - even among the female public. 

LOL. 

CC. Don't skim. Please. And if people want to see them paid more, they should pump more money into the sport. This is really basic business principle.

I started reading it more thoroughly and it just irritates me, the whole article is achieving this weird balance of saying FIFA is treating women fairly while at the same time highlighting how its based on an unfair social norm that should be abolished.

The entire reason women are paid less is because men are socially more dominant in all areas of society so the relative worth of anything that women do is less. That is 100% fair from a business standpoint because business cares about nothing but money. Hell, Im surprised we even have women sports since their value is so much considerably lower its any wonder why they want to continue with it in the first place.

So I can see your argument from a detached, superficial view, but the real issue is still staring us in the face without any real recognition. It is unfair. And I say this addressing the larger scope of the issue, not just what relates to FIFA's treatment of women...which is actually quite hilariously sexist. The former chair of FIFA was a raging misogynist. Im pretty sure one of his best lines was something similar to "we have women's sports only because young women look nice while playing"

FIFA is a terrible organization in itself.

Edited by CrossCuT