An Old School Catholic Message Board

Fabulous win by the US Women's Soccer Team

Yaatee

franciscanheart

Ah, man, that's a great shirt

Right? I bought two before they sold out. I've also requested they re-stock. Now I'm going to tweet them and ask about kid sizes.

HopefulHeart

I didn't follow the Women's World Cup, but reading this topic makes me wish I had! Maybe I'll check out some of the highlights. :) One of the major stars of Team USA is actually from the town right next to mine.

NadaTeTurbe

I didn't follow the Women's World Cup, but reading this topic makes me wish I had! Maybe I'll check out some of the highlights. :) One of the major stars of Team USA is actually from the town right next to mine.

Try to watch the highlights of USA-Japan. Great match ! 
Even if we lost early, I think the French team played well, but maybe I'm not objective ;) 

franciscanheart

It was such a fun journey, but the most "dazzling" highlights came from the last two games. I watched every send-off game and every Cup game (including the games that did not include our team). It was such a fun tourney!

franciscanheart

Apparently Charlotte wants to support the Swedish team. 

I love Charlotte. And the Swedes were fun to watch, too. (I'm learning Swedish.)

Too bad many men's sports programs had to be killed in the process.

I know. Let's all bow our heads in silence for the underprivileged male athletes.

Not really.

But it doesn't sound like you're saying the wage gap for same jobs is an issue. It sounds like you're saying is women would get paid as much if they did the same job, but they're just not choosing the same job? That's a different issue. So, being female doesn't allow us to aspire to "anything more than wanting to spend the most time with our kids". Please show me something, anything, that stops me from picking the career of my choice. I have looked into both a career in Geology and Engineering and found both fields at my college to be very accommodating and interesting fields. The only thing I can come up with is because mostly men are in them, women "don't want" to do them. First of all, don't speak for all women. Secondly, um, if that's what stopping you, you probably shouldn't be in the field in the first place. Grow a spine. Thirdly, so what? I was treated decently and appropriately by all the men in those fields. There actually was a good amount of other women taking these classes. They were some of my more enjoyable ones, even that one class where I and the professor were the only women in attendance. It didn't matter. 

I think we can agree that any career choice should be open to men and women. I guess what I'm stuck on is why, exactly, if it's mostly attended by men is that an issue, how that is sexist, or how that's stopping a women. 

I'm a psychology major. Now the field is populated mostly by women. Before (let's say around the 60's) most psychologists were men.

I want you to take a stab at who got paid more.

While my semi-libertarian views don't feel comfortable with the government artificially evening out the wage gap, I do think we need to look at why we  don't value things as much when women do them as when men do them. If in 30, 50, or 100 years more women flood the STEM field, chances are that won't be the boon it is today.

It's a sociological iron law that the more women participate in any activity, the less status it has among the general public - even among the female public. 

LOL. 

yeah lol. Super funny. I'm glad you think that's OK that women are given less status. I'm not even sure if we have souls. Certainly our intellect is weaker. I'm sure you believe these things because you were apparently dropped here by a time machine from the 12th century.

Or you're just a troll here to goad people into saying terrible things to you because of the utter croutons you post. I haven't figured out which. I find your posts dealing with race and sex absolutely vile. Congratulations, you've gotten under my skin. Go hang that on momma's refrigerator.

Have a nice day!

Archaeology cat

I love Charlotte. And the Swedes were fun to watch, too. (I'm learning Swedish.)

You seriously need to come hang out. 

I know. Let's all bow our heads in silence for the underprivileged male athletes.

I'm a psychology major. Now the field is populated mostly by women. Before (let's say around the 60's) most psychologists were men.

While my semi-libertarian views don't feel comfortable with the government artificially evening out the wage gap, I do think we need to look at why we  don't value things as much when women do them as when men do them. If in 30, 50, or 100 years more women flood the STEM field, chances are that won't be the boon it is today.

yeah lol. Super funny. I'm glad you think that's OK that women are given less status. I'm not even sure if we have souls. Certainly our intellect is weaker. I'm sure you believe these things because you were apparently dropped here by a time machine from the 12th century.

Or you're just a troll here to goad people into saying terrible things to you because of the utter croutons you post. I haven't figured out which. I find your posts dealing with race and sex absolutely vile. Congratulations, you've gotten under my skin. Go hang that on momma's refrigerator.

Have a nice day!

Ice, Ignore Catlick.  He's like a two year old boy. The best way to treat posters like him, is to ignore him.   Notice that I said him.

veritasluxmea

Going by your last paragraph I'm going to guess women. I see where you're coming from but I would still prefer to have some questions answered before passing judgement. In that field, are you doing the same work as the mostly male psychologists of the past? For example, if most women are criminal justice lawyers employed by the state and work nine to five, five days a week, and then the high-powered, CEO lawyer 60 hours a week job is mostly men, we could say there's a "wage gap" in the lawyer field. But, there's not really- they're not doing the exact same jobs. Is there a higher interest in psychology today, and more psychology graduates, leading to more competition for jobs in the field and a lower pay rate? I'm not sure how true this is, but nowadays aren't there more jobs that fall under psychology's umbrella, such as a wider availability of less-expensive mental health counseling, social work with foster children, counselors in public schools, and so on? Those aren't going to be higher paying by nature. 

I think the STEM field will be less valued in the future for different reasons, but you could be right and it could be that fields mostly populated by women are less valued. 

Going by your last paragraph I'm going to guess women. I see where you're coming from but I would still prefer to have some questions answered before passing judgement. In that field, are you doing the same work as the mostly male psychologists of the past? For example, if most women are criminal justice lawyers employed by the state and work nine to five, five days a week, and then the high-powered, CEO lawyer 60 hours a week job is mostly men, we could say there's a "wage gap" in the lawyer field. But, there's not really- they're not doing the exact same jobs. Is there a higher interest in psychology today, and more psychology graduates, leading to more competition for jobs in the field and a lower pay rate? I'm not sure how true this is, but nowadays aren't there more jobs that fall under psychology's umbrella, such as a wider availability of less-expensive mental health counseling, social work with foster children, counselors in public schools, and so on? Those aren't going to be higher paying by nature. 

I think the STEM field will be less valued in the future for different reasons, but you could be right and it could be that fields mostly populated by women are less valued. 

I was told psychologists (I'm assuming PhDs used to be paid more, when most psychologists were male. Take that with a grain of salt. I haven't examined the issues and idk what studies have looked at how pay rate in a profession fluctuates with respect to the gender that populates the field.

There could be other factors. It's all speculation.

It was amazing. COngrat USA ! You can be proud :D 

Can be ?

We always were.

An with great reason .

An we need no ones permission.

An the haters can keep on hating.

It's pretty sad if the fields that attract women are also the lowest paid, which may indeed be true.  That includes teachers, the most important jobs we have, and we are paying them the lowest wages in view of that they're doing and to whom, our future generation.

Men and women in medicine are opting for lower pay for regular hours.  It will be interesting to see what happens to viewership for women's soccer and the players'  wages.