An Old School Catholic Message Board

Fabulous win by the US Women's Soccer Team

Yaatee

franciscanheart

It's a sociological iron law that the more women participate in any activity, the less status it has among the general public - even among the female public. 

LOL. 

Which is why so many men attended this World Cup, right?

Archaeology cat

I need to get Charlotte things from women's teams, not just LFC. After all, she's my footballer, not the boys.

ETA: Didn't even know Liverpool had a women's team, too. Not premier league, but still. Or maybe I should get her Everton things for the women's team, since she was born in Everton country. ;) You know, keep up some friendly rivalry. 

Edited by Archaeology cat

rivalry? doesn't saint paul warn us against that?

p.s i don't really like being the downer but aye.

oh and no pun intended to the o.p. Many christians get into competitive sports. I don't mind sports for fun, i just hate making another human being/s feel like a looser, if it's just for fun the score doesn't really matter. :)

I hate it, too, Tab, but not in this case.  A Great Game, by a Great Team.  Classic.  Epic.  One for the ages. The Japanese took it well, tho' I felt VERY sorry for their goalie.  But all in all,  women in sports.  end out ahead.  These women especially, this sport, soccer, just got a big shot in the arm.

Let's not forget this flawless fan.

WigglyLinedCollardlizard.gif

Yes!

franciscanheart

I need to get Charlotte things from women's teams, not just LFC. After all, she's my footballer, not the boys.

Yes! Love! Do!

Who's her favorite footballer?

veritasluxmea

We also CHOOSE lower paying jobs because our uterus doesnt allow us to aspire to anything more than wanting to spend the most time with our kids. So the wage gap is fair too.

Not really.

But it doesn't sound like you're saying the wage gap for same jobs is an issue. It sounds like you're saying is women would get paid as much if they did the same job, but they're just not choosing the same job? That's a different issue. So, being female doesn't allow us to aspire to "anything more than wanting to spend the most time with our kids". Please show me something, anything, that stops me from picking the career of my choice. I have looked into both a career in Geology and Engineering and found both fields at my college to be very accommodating and interesting fields. The only thing I can come up with is because mostly men are in them, women "don't want" to do them. First of all, don't speak for all women. Secondly, um, if that's what stopping you, you probably shouldn't be in the field in the first place. Grow a spine. Thirdly, so what? I was treated decently and appropriately by all the men in those fields. There actually was a good amount of other women taking these classes. They were some of my more enjoyable ones, even that one class where I and the professor were the only women in attendance. It didn't matter. 

I think we can agree that any career choice should be open to men and women. I guess what I'm stuck on is why, exactly, if it's mostly attended by men is that an issue, how that is sexist, or how that's stopping a women. 

Edited by veritasluxmea

Yes!  The USA broke some sort of record for number of goals within a certain time frame (or types of goals?--not sure). ANYway, something. ;)

Too bad many men's sports programs had to be killed in the process.

Oh, dear.

oh my goodness (don't blasphemy). If one more person beeshes about how much the women made financially in this tournament...

They didn't have to go to the tournament. They didn't have to participate. Let's start there. And since I'm already hated by feminists for starting there, let's get to the real point: IF WOMEN'S FOOTBALL WAS SUPPORTED IN THE SAME WAY MEN'S FOOTBALL HAS BEEN SUPPORTED FOR UMPTEEN YEARS, THEY TOO WOULD BE RECEIVING BOUCOUP. But women's football HASN'T been supported in the same way. People DON'T watch with the same fervor as they do the men's teams. They don't show up to the matches the way they do for men's teams. They don't buy the merch, interact on social, etc. It's a BUSINESS. When the women start pulling in consistent viewership -- both in person and on the telly -- they will start seeing the money the men do.

Did you know that in the United States, we have had three different women's national leagues? The first two folded after three seasons each. THREE SEASONS. That's ludicrous.

I feel like I'm not all that intelligent and even I can see why the women making less RIGHT NOW is totally fair.

Want to see the women get more money? Watch more games. Go to more matches. This is not personal, it's business.

For everyone who thinks the women were cheated for receiving "so little" financially for their win: http://www.businessinsider.com/womens-small-soccer-salaries-are-fair-2015-7

The good news is that, at least for now, people are doing what is required to see these women earn more: http://espn.go.com/espnw/news-commentary/article/13217266/national-women-soccer-league-upbeat-potential-windfall-via-world-cup

Rant. rant. rant & rant.

In future, women's sports will command a larger audience, more advertisers, more revenue, and therefore the teams will command more revenue.  And in part because of THIS GAME.  Women's sports, training, performance will be much better and many more people will watch women's soccer, the most-watched sport in the world.

I read something about Lloyd's training (and presumably, her trainer, whom she personally thanked live at the end of the game) --that she practiced/worked out or something SIX HOURS A DAY, followed by 90 minutes practice of PENALTY KICKS ("PKs" in the trade).  This reminds me of Michael Jordan--he practiced 90 minutes' of three-pointers A DAY.)

Women playing soccer, one of the most ridiculous things egalitarianism has brought us. 

As usual, catllick.

franciscanheart

Rant. rant. rant & rant.

In future, women's sports will command a larger audience, more advertisers, more revenue, and therefore the teams will command more revenue.  And in part because of THIS GAME.  Women's sports, training, performance will be much better and many more people will watch women's soccer, the most-watched sport in the world.

I read something about Lloyd's training (and presumably, her trainer, whom she personally thanked live at the end of the game) --that she practiced/worked out or something SIX HOURS A DAY, followed by 90 minutes practice of PENALTY KICKS ("PKs" in the trade).  This reminds me of Michael Jordan--he practiced 90 minutes' of three-pointers A DAY.)

I don't understand your point. At least, not in regard to me. I am a huge football fan and played actively for over ten years. I come from a footballing family and watch as often as TV providers show the games (on channels that don't require special subscriptions). If I had a professional women's team in my area, I'd be at games a lot more frequently. They're still STUPID cheap in Houston (under $40 a ticket, even right next to the field) but Houston is a four hour drive from me. So.

I skimmed the first one and it basically was saying the gap is fair because society doesn't value women as much as men and blamed the activists for not going to games. 

NO one took girls' sports seriously (I use the term "girls'" to underscore this, lest anyone misunderstand...).  In my day, centuries ago, we couldn't do more than 3 dribbles in basketball (does anyone remember these rules?), something about hurting our delicate insides.  Fortunately, women's basketball, especially in the midwest, left this behind decades ago.  In many schools and small towns, the women's sports are far better and attract far higher attendance than the men's.

I started reading it more thoroughly and it just irritates me, the whole article is achieving this weird balance of saying FIFA is treating women fairly while at the same time highlighting how its based on an unfair social norm that should be abolished.

The entire reason women are paid less is because men are socially more dominant in all areas of society so the relative worth of anything that women do is less. That is 100% fair from a business standpoint because business cares about nothing but money. Hell, Im surprised we even have women sports since their value is so much considerably lower its any wonder why they want to continue with it in the first place.

So I can see your argument from a detached, superficial view, but the real issue is still staring us in the face without any real recognition. It is unfair. And I say this addressing the larger scope of the issue, not just what relates to FIFA's treatment of women...which is actually quite hilariously sexist. The former chair of FIFA was a raging misogynist. Im pretty sure one of his best lines was something similar to "we have women's sports only because young women look nice while playing"

FIFA is a terrible organization in itself.

Well, half of FIFA is going to end up in jail, if that's any consolation.

Not really.

But it doesn't sound like you're saying the wage gap for same jobs is an issue. It sounds like you're saying is women would get paid as much if they did the same job, but they're just not choosing the same job? That's a different issue. So, being female doesn't allow us to aspire to "anything more than wanting to spend the most time with our kids". Please show me something, anything, that stops me from picking the career of my choice. I have looked into both a career in Geology and Engineering and found both fields at my college to be very accommodating and interesting fields. The only thing I can come up with is because mostly men are in them, women "don't want" to do them. First of all, don't speak for all women. Secondly, um, if that's what stopping you, you probably shouldn't be in the field in the first place. Grow a spine. Thirdly, so what? I was treated decently and appropriately by all the men in those fields. There actually was a good amount of other women taking these classes. They were some of my more enjoyable ones, even that one class where I and the professor were the only women in attendance. It didn't matter. 

I think we can agree that any career choice should be open to men and women. I guess what I'm stuck on is why, exactly, if it's mostly attended by men is that an issue, how that is sexist, or how that's stopping a women. 

Jees, Ver.  It's well documented that women earn about 70% less than men for the same work in the same field.  I personally did not experience this.

ETA: Didn't even know Liverpool had a women's team, too. Not premier league, but still. Or maybe I should get her Everton things for the women's team, since she was born in Everton country. ;) You know, keep up some friendly rivalry. 

I think it's funny that your daughter is the footballer.

Archaeology cat

Yes! Love! Do!

Who's her favorite footballer?

She doesn't have one particular player she favors. I looked up the players for both Liverpool and Everton women's teams, but (surprise, surprise) can't find any merchandise for them on the official pages. Maybe I'm just overlooking it. 

So maybe I'll go with the US team and get her something with Hope Solo or Carli Lloyd? 

Archaeology cat

@Yaatee - we started Charlotte in Munchkin League soccer when she was 4 because she wanted to do something her brothers couldn't do. Kieran was too old and Leo too young. Turns out she loves it, so she played all last year and is starting U6 this year. Kieran prefers his violin to soccer.

franciscanheart

She doesn't have one particular player she favors. I looked up the players for both Liverpool and Everton women's teams, but (surprise, surprise) can't find any merchandise for them on the official pages. Maybe I'm just overlooking it. 

So maybe I'll go with the US team and get her something with Hope Solo or Carli Lloyd? 

Or Rapinoe or Wambach or Rapone. They're all stars. And come on: Julie Johnston? BEAST. Kriegs was pretty fantastic, Moe Brian is a future star, and Tobin is a name in her own right. Oh and LEROUX? STOP IT RIGHT NOW. That girl is FIERCE.

@Yaatee - we started Charlotte in Munchkin League soccer when she was 4 because she wanted to do something her brothers couldn't do. Kieran was too old and Leo too young. Turns out she loves it, so she played all last year and is starting U6 this year. Kieran prefers his violin to soccer.

Go! Go! Char!!

SO looking forward to Olympic Women's Soccer!

Archaeology cat

Or Rapinoe or Wambach or Rapone. They're all stars. And come on: Julie Johnston? BEAST. Kriegs was pretty fantastic, Moe Brian is a future star, and Tobin is a name in her own right. Oh and LEROUX? STOP IT RIGHT NOW. That girl is FIERCE.

You're right - they are all great. We had fun watching together. Wambach is a UF alum. :) 

Go! Go! Char!!

SO looking forward to Olympic Women's Soccer!

amesome.