An Old School Catholic Message Board

Fabulous win by the US Women's Soccer Team

Yaatee

Congrat USA team

I was sooo happy when the Canadian chick's lost - that meant we in Canadians can keep focusing on hockey (sport!) and stop talking about soccer (neat game, not a sport).

:smokey::smokey::smokey::smokey:

Congrat USA team

I was sooo happy when the Canadian chick's lost - that meant we in Canadians can keep focusing on hockey (sport!) and stop talking about soccer (neat game, not a sport).

agreed i do not really consider it a sport, especially when the strategy is kick the ball, though i am stunned at how large the goal net is, 1 goalie, it is so impossible to score higher than one does, because everyone is always clumped up on each other.

puellapaschalis

It's never going to be a sport if you insist on giving it a stupid name like 'soccer', no.

Nihil Obstat
soccer (n.) Look up soccer at Dictionary.com
1889, socca, later socker (1891), soccer (1895), originally university slang (with jocular formation -er (3)), from a shortened form of Assoc., abbreviation of association in Football Association (as opposed to Rugby football); compare rugger. An unusual method of formation, but those who did it perhaps shied away from making a name out of the first three letters of Assoc.

Congrat USA team

I'm not a hockey fan, mainly because I think the ice and skates make it inferior to naturally played games like soccer, baseball, basketball, and football. If anything is less of a sport, it's hockey.

Nihil Obstat

I'm not a hockey fan, mainly because I think the ice and skates make it inferior to naturally played games like soccer, baseball, basketball, and football. If anything is less of a sport, it's hockey.

Did you fall and hit your head?

Did you fall and hit your head?

What's natural about a bunch of men on feet-knives flying around on ice and launching a puck across a frozen terrain with a stick. Quarterbacks generate their power from their arm, pitchers too, shooters control the ball, kickers (soccer) have to run and kick. Hockey is the only one with an artificial terrain and unnatural pace of play.

Nihil Obstat

What's natural about a bunch of men on feet-knives flying around on ice and launching a puck across a frozen terrain with a stick. Quarterbacks generate their power from their arm, pitchers too, shooters control the ball, kickers (soccer) have to run and kick. Hockey is the only one with an artificial terrain and unnatural pace of play.

How do you think hockey players generate power? Propellers?

How do you think hockey players generate power? Propellers?

With their bodies, but the playing field is artificial and moves them at unnatural speeds. In the other major sports, players move at the speed of their legs on the ground, nothing more, nothing less. The equivalent would be if football fields were like those long moving walking planks they have at airports where you can walk a little bit faster than everyone else.

Nihil Obstat

With their bodies, but the playing field is artificial and moves them at unnatural speeds. In the other major sports, players move at the speed of their legs on the ground, nothing more, nothing less. The equivalent would be if football fields were like those long moving walking planks they have at airports where you can walk a little bit faster than everyone else.

The surface allows them to move at higher absolute speeds, but they still have to push their bodies to the maximum in order to compete at a high level. It's not like they only put in 50% effort because 50% is all it takes to go as fast as a soccer player.

Edited by Nihil Obstat

The surface allows them to move at higher absolute speeds, but they still have to push their bodies to the maximum in order to compete at a high level. It's not like they only put in 50% effort because 50% is all it takes to go as fast as a soccer player.

I have nothing against hockey players as athletes, but the speed of the game and the artificial field IMO makes it an inferior sport aesthetically.

Nihil Obstat

I have nothing against hockey players as athletes, but the speed of the game and the artificial field IMO makes it an inferior sport aesthetically.

Is steak an inferior food to raw vegetables because it requires artificial processing (i.e. heat) to make it edible? :|

Is steak an inferior food to raw vegetables because it requires artificial processing (i.e. heat) to make it edible? :|

It depends what value you attach to eating. If you're a hunter-gatherer, steak is definitely an inferior food. Natural movement is something essential to my sport aesthetic...which admittedly makes me biased against a lot of stuff, like biking, auto racing, etc. Though I can find hockey enjoyable since it does involve man-to-man competition...not really Nascar, which I see no point in.

Nihil Obstat

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.