An Old School Catholic Message Board

Crazy Cat Lady

dominicansoul

Wow, I haven't posted here since the day before the big surgeries happened.  Needless to say, I've been busy taking care of my little ones and helping them through recovery.

Cuddles was the one I worried about the most.  But her wound has healed nicely.  I've been sleeping with her in the living room.   she can't be with her rough and tumble brothers at night without supervision during her recovery.  They've missed each other...I've missed sleeping in my comfortable bed!! lol 

Last night I was really scared because I overdosed them on Revolution!  But animal poison control got me in contact with a vet on staff who said they will be fine.  *whew*

I'm telling you these little guys are going to give me a heart attack... I never knew how much work it was to care for an animal...  most of my outdoor pets are nothing to worry about, but these indoor types are so high maintenance...!

poor millie

and ha good luck getting her to the vet!  If that attempt happens let me know so I can sit there and sip a beer while watching the fun.

• 2 weeks later...
dominicansoul

I emailed my vet and he said that this is normal.  The kittens are at that age where they will start losing their kitty teeth as their adult teeth are pushing themselves out already.  I was just amazed cos I've never seen this before, but then again, I'm new at this.  Also he said Batty feeling hot is normal because just like human babies, kittens can get a little sick with teething.  As long as he doesn't look drained but remains his old self, keeps his appetite and drinks a lot of water and his gums aren't infected, he should be fine. :)

AccountDeleted

I emailed my vet and he said that this is normal.  The kittens are at that age where they will start losing their kitty teeth as their adult teeth are pushing themselves out already.  I was just amazed cos I've never seen this before, but then again, I'm new at this.  Also he said Batty feeling hot is normal because just like human babies, kittens can get a little sick with teething.  As long as he doesn't look drained but remains his old self, keeps his appetite and drinks a lot of water and his gums aren't infected, he should be fine. :)

Wow, learn something new every day. Glad it's nothing bad.

Bella is growing up fast, here is a pic of her now.

small Bella in grass.jpg

dominicansoul

She's beautiful!  ANd enjoys the outdoors? My little ones haven't been out doors since I first rescued them and brought them inside.  I have plans to build a future cat house with a pet door so they can go in and out... I just feel like my house is not big enough for three growing kittens to be happy.  

They need at least two acres to explore :P  But I'll need to put a protective fence around them, don't want coyotes coming into the back yard and taking them!  

I just have to save some moneys...

IgnatiusofLoyola

I wonder why the three of us--Nunsense, DS, and I--all have black cats. I like the fact that I have a black cat because black cats are the least likely to be adopted and most likely to be euthanized. So, I feel like I've done a double good deed by adopting not only a rescue cat, but a black rescue cat.

One of these days I'm going to try to have to try to get a picture of my little girl. She's moved into middle age--she's 11 now--but she's still my "little girl" because she is very small and a perfect size for my lap.

My cat is black with yellow eyes like Bella, but looks COMPLETELY different because she is a pedigree Devon Rex. Her fur is curly and her head and face are unusually small, like a kitten's face, which makes her eyes and ears look very big. She has no hair on her stomach, except for a curly black jabot at her neck. It makes her look like she is wearing a blouse. Her mother was a Grand Champion who looked just like a Siamese (except with a Devon Rex build). Her father was a Champion who was all black with unusually curly fur. I think the breeder hoped she would look like a Siamese but with very curly fur. Instead, she is black like her father with her mother's fur. However, even if her looks weren't champion quality, she has a perfect temperament, and from the time she was born her nickname was "Sweetie." (Her pedigree name is Cindy Lou--It makes me think of Cindy Lou Who from "The Grinch That Stole Christmas") I should try to take a picture because my kitty is very unusual looking, you probably have never seen a cat that looks like her.

AccountDeleted

A picture would be really nice Iggy, as would one of the three kitties now DS.

My Bella was an indoor cat for over a month, but I decided that it was my fears that were keeping her in the house, so I made sure she had a collar with both bell (so I could find her and she wouldn't get any birds) and a council reg tag. She is microchipped but the tag identifies her right away. I introduced her to the outside by going out and sitting with her while she explored, and she was very scared at first and kept coming back to me.

As time went on, I let her out without me, but only for a little while and then I would go collect her.She never seems to wander too far, just our yard and our neighbor's (who share a wall and an entrance path). Now I let her out in the morning before I go to work and then bring her inside until I get home, then I let her go outside again until just before dark. She always comes when I go out and call her in. But that is probably because I have trained her to come for her dinner with the sound of a fork banging on the side of her metal bowl! this will get her inside every time. In the photo, she is watching me do some gardening. She likes it when I am outside with her.

Sometimes when she is out, she runs back inside, just to make sure I am still  here. She comes for a cuddle and then runs out again.I adore her. At night, when the doors are closed and she can't go out any more, I take off her collar and give her a good brush. I hang her collar near the door, and in the morning when I shake it and the bell rings, she comes running to let me put it on. Who says cats can't be trained?

And Iggy, I got a black cat sort of incidentally. I was looking for a short haired tiger cat (tabby) because the last one I had was my partner for so long and I really wanted another one like her, but the ones I saw at the RSPCA didn't have the personality I was looking for. When I went into Bella's cat room, she came over and sat on my lap and went to sleep and I just felt she was the one. It was all about the personality. But I do love her color as well. Sometimes she drives me nuts because she still has so many kitten traits and knocks everything to the floor (broke my hairbrush) and destroys things (chewed up my bookmark) etc, but she is the sweetest thing imaginable. It's just not easy to photograph a black cat unless the background helps her to stand out. The yard was a good one. In most of the other photos I have, all you can see are her eyes!

• 2 weeks later...
dominicansoul

I'm considering putting my kitties up for adopion.  :(     :sad2:          :cry4:

I'm worried because I live in a very tiny house along with a mentally ill sibling.  The little kitties are getting BIG and starting to jump everywhere, even in places they shouldn't be jumping onto.  Also, I have been struggling with one being wormy.  I am a germ a phobe, and having these little darlings in my house has been good for that, but I'm not entirely over my phobias.  I'm worried the wormy one has a roundworm, which is harmful to humans.  Despite being on dewormer for the last 4 months, I still see them in her poop once in a blue moon.  So there's that.  Then there's the fact that I have no central heating in my house, and that house becomes an ice chest during the winter (people think it doesn't get cold in Texas, but it really does!  I had a Canadian in my house during the winter, and she can vouch for how very cold it gets in there!)  So I'm worried they will be miserable in the cold.  And then there's the expense and the time dedicated to taking care of them, keeping their environment spotless and clean, getting them to the vet which is very very expensive, their food bill, etc.  I've been late to work more times in the last 7 months than I have in the last 7 years because they are unpredictable and I find things in their room in the morning that needs quick clean up.  I used to be exhausted for caring for my sibling, and now I have 3 other little bodies to worry about and care for.

I have bonded with these little guys and they with me.  As cramped as we all are in our house, they seem to be having the time of their lives running around and hiding in places and playing.  It totally breaks my heart to think they will have to get readjusted to someone else and another home, and the fact of the matter is they may be totally seperated (who adopts three kittens?) They wail and cry when they are apart for just a few moments... :(

Did I see this when I decided to take them in?  No.  I had no clue what I was getting into, becuase I've never had kittens before or had animals in my house.  I also didn't intend to keep them, I had always had the "taking them to the no-kill shelter soon" in my head...But weeks became months and months became 7 whole months going on 8...and here I am...stuck with sorrow...

Please pray I do the right thing for them...