An Old School Catholic Message Board

Crazy Cat Lady

dominicansoul

IgnatiusofLoyola

Oh DS, I'm SO sorry!

Note: Cats DO generally get much easier to take care of once they are past age 1 or 2. Adult cats in good health are generally pretty low maintenance (definitely less low maintenance than dogs). When I adopted my kitty, I deliberately chose a 2-year old for this reason. (Also, adult cats generally are harder to find good homes for than kittens, so I felt better adopting an adult cat.)

I understand your dilemma all too well. When my older cat died 2 1/2 years ago, I really should have adopted another male cat as a companion for my little girl. (She doesn't particularly like other female cats.) However, because I am sick and sometimes find it a challenge just to take care of myself, I worried about taking on another responsibility. As a result, so far I have not adopted another cat. I think my little girl would be happier with another cat companion, but so far she seems to be getting along okay with just me. However, I am home all day, and my cat stays pretty close by--either on top of me, or within 5-6 feet away. If I were working, or otherwise had to be away from home a lot, I would have to adopt another cat, because my cat is not a "loner"--she needs company.

IgnatiusofLoyola

I wish I lived in England. There was a heartbreaking article in the Daily Mail about a cat shelter where there are a lot of gorgeous black cats waiting for homes because people don't want to adopt black cats.

The article has pictures of the cats and their stories. One of the cats would be perfect for me because he needs a quiet home without children. Plus, he is male, and my little girl strongly prefers male cats. (She doesn't hate female cats--she just ignores them.)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-3294156/Superstition-means-black-cats-left-rescue-homes-one-centre-trying-families-Halloween.html

dominicansoul

If I put my kitties up for adoption, I would hate for that to happen to Batty and Scamp :(  I'm sure Cuddles would get adopted really quick cos she's gorgeous and has beautiful markings.  I think my black ones are gorgeous as well, and Scamp has some white paws and white tufts on his belly.  Batty is a gorgeous all black cat with the cutest little face!  I just have to keep praying...

I haven't even written to the no-kill shelter yet.  I find my self breaking down everytime I begin...

By the way, I find it odd that this shelter is having this black cat adoption thingy for Halloween.  Here in my neck of the woods, most animal shelters will absolutely NOT allow black cats be adopted around this season because people do wicked things to these poor animals during this holiday...

If youre going to do something perhaps doing it quickly, like ripping off a band aid fast, will help.  Just do it and get it over with. 

dominicansoul

easier said than done vee...

I've seen these kitties from their beginnings...

I remember the midnite and 4 a.m. bottle feeds

they went from being wee little rascals to beautiful cats with personalities and they love me and my brother cos they show it everyday.  It's gonna be difficult not only for me but for my brother as well...and I know I have to do it soon, but I can't just do it like ripping off a bandaid... :sad2: Although it would be best for them as well if I do it quickly, so they can find their new homes and start living the rest of their lives...

IgnatiusofLoyola

By the way, I find it odd that this shelter is having this black cat adoption thingy for Halloween.  Here in my neck of the woods, most animal shelters will absolutely NOT allow black cats be adopted around this season because people do wicked things to these poor animals during this holiday...

The London Daily Mail is basically a tabloid (which is why I found this article so welcome and lovely). Even if the shelter started the Halloween theme, the Daily Mail chose to publicize it because black cats it made a good Halloween story.

From the comments made by the shelter, I am going to give it the benefit of the doubt that it will be very careful whom it allows to adopt its beloved black kitties, especially around Halloween.

IgnatiusofLoyola

I just read that today (October 29) is National Cat Day. I've never heard of National Cat Day, but anything that celebrates kitties is cool with me.

BTW--EVERY day in my house is "Cat Day." We celebrate with lots of cuddles and scratching behind the ears. 

IgnatiusofLoyola

I can't imagine how hard it must be to even consider giving up your kitties for adoption.

But, kittens ARE a lot of work and can be destructive--especially three of them.

If you are going to give them up for adoption, sooner would be better, because younger cats are usually more quickly adopted. In addition to the the local no-kill shelter, also talk to your vet. Often a vet knows people who would be looking for new cat(s). And, the vet has had experience with the owner, so wouldn't place a kitten in a less than ideal home.

If/when you give up your kittens, what about considering adopting one older cat? Older cats are MUCH less work and are less destructive. My little girl has never scratched the furniture, or destroyed ANYTHING. She always uses her litter box. There are some older cats who would be happiest in home without any other pets. Because the cat is older, the shelter or vet would know this about the cat. With an older cat, you know what you are getting in terms of temperament, so you can match it to what would fit your household best. For example, my little girl needed a quiet house with no children (she was/is deathly afraid of children). Some cats are more difficult than others, but with an older cat, you would probably know of any potential problems before adoption. I'm still amazed at how perfectly behaved my cat is.

Just a thought.........

Oh, I'm sorry. :sad: My kitty cats (one special one, and various others) were barn cats (couldn't help it; mom's allergic and the barns ALWAYS need de-mousing) but that didn't mean I loved them any less. My special one was black, and named Moses. He always came when I called, until one day he wasn't there any more. :cry4:I still feel bad about it.

Anyway, I hope everything will turn out well for you and yours. :)

I just saw this thread.

Ironically, just about the time you started this thread, I also took in a stray orange marbled American shorthair.  A stray cat gave birth to a litter in my next door neighbor's garage, so I took in one of them.  Feral at first (was screaming and trying to scratch as I carried her to my house), by the end of the next evening she was purring in my arms.

Even though housemates had cats before, this is my first one, which is a new experience, since by nature I'm more of a dog person.

There are two littermates left, and a neighbor across the street took them and the mother to be fixed at a place that does cat fixings for free, and found out the mother had another litter started in her already!

Anyway, her name is Sandy (partially because of the color, partially because the name can be used by both males and females).  She's half mischief and half energy.

dominicansoul

Wow!  Sandy was my stray cat's name.  I believe he's the father of my present kittens.  

I've never had kittens inside the house until these three, but i've had tons of strays that I would just casually throw food at and they stick around.  Sandy was one of those.  He came and went as he pleased and I loved seeing him around.  My dog, Leia loved him too and would defend him when he got into fights with other wild strays.  But one night this year, he was beat up pretty bad and I think a coyote took him.  Leia was wrestling with it trying to save his life, but he was already gone.  She is still devestated about that...

dominicansoul

I finally was present when Cuddles went and pooped into the litter box.  I collected the sample and took it to the Vet this morning.  I'm hoping they discover why she keeps getting worms.  She's not an outdoor cat, I'm not sure where she's getting these from.  I'm afraid there might be ascarid eggs all over my house.  :(  All kittens are born with roundworm, it's the most common of all the worms they get.  If you don't nip it in the bud early, they keep excreting the worm and the worm's microscopic eggs in their litter, and of course, carry them around wherever they walk.  I'm hoping that's not the case in my home.  I clean it every week, but I hear ascarids are pretty indestructible...

Pray for my household...