An Old School Catholic Message Board

Help me figure out an Order...

Cherie

Sponsa-Christi

The Holy Spirit Adoration Sisters do have another habit for outside the cloister. It's grey. Here it is. Are these the sisters you saw? (Note: I don't think the habit on the doll is entirely accurate - I think the veil they have for the grey habit also has a guimpe and a white inner piece, even though that's not  shown here.)

I've heard that the Holy Spirit Adoration Sisters do wear a gray habit outside the enclosure, but I think the other nun doll in the photo is wearing the old Maryknoll habit. 

Poor Clares of Perpetual Adoration from Canton, Ohio.

Poor Clares of Perpetual Adoration.jpg

Another Poor Clares of Perpetual Adoration from Cleveland, Ohio

09_Daily_Life_1_jpg.jpg

Edited by Lumiere

No, not Visitation. Not those Poor Clares, either; no hair was showing. They definitely had a bandeau across the forehead, and the veil was more "flowy," and definitely had white on the underside of the veil.

No, not the Benedictines of Mary, and not in the CMSWR photo, either.

Since they were driving a car with an Ohio license plate, I imagine they'd have to be a community with a presence in Ohio? I can't imagine the Sisters would drive a car that wasn't theirs, if only for insurance/liability purposes? And the bumper stickers (and old model of the car) make me think it wasn't a rental.

petitpèlerin

I don't know about the order, but the "choc" euro bumper sticker is a common sight around Cleveland. They're from a local chocolate company called Malley's. You can order a sticker here http://www.malleys.com/chocolate-club and if it's spotted by a Malley's employee you could win $500, or a $25 gift certificate. So those sisters must love good, free chocolate. Does that narrow it down? Probably not at all . . .  ;) Okay, but it might be an indication that the sisters are from the Cleveland/Akron area.

The sede vacantist group that Truthfinder speaks of might be the Daughters of Mary.

Daughter of Mary are sede vacantist? And they wear purple. 

Daughter of Mary are sede vacantist? And they wear purple. 

You're confusing them with the Children of Mary.

IgnatiusofLoyola

It's very surprising that we are so stumped on this. Between all of us, we usually figure these things out.

Based on the bumper sticker that suggested the Cleveland area, I decided to try investigate all the orders of nuns/Religious Sisters in the Cleveland/Youngstown diocese. I found the list of religious orders in the Diocese on the Diocescan Web site, and simply went down the list.

Unfortunately, I failed in my search. Most of the habits of Communities in/near Cleveland didn't even come close to the description. :(

The closest I came were a Community of Poor Clare Colletine nuns. (The Diocesan Web site did not say in exactly what city they were located.) Many aspects of their habit seemed to fit the description, but, for example, their veils are not lined in white. Here is a link to this Community's description on the Cleveland Diocese Web site--it includes a few pictures. http://www.churchvocations.com/poor-clare-colettine-nuns-p-c-c/

If someone wants to do it, we could try to do the same for the other Dioceses/Archdioceses in Ohio, particularly the ones closest to Cleveland (because of the bumper sticker).

However, with our luck, the nuns either borrowed someone else's car, or they were using a car donated to them by someone in or near Cleveland, but they are located elsewhere. <_<

Yes, I know, Iggie! That was the first thing I did, too, but the only similar habit is the PCCs.

Normally I would have just resigned myself to it being the PCCs, but I really don't think it was. The veil was very clearly lined with white, similar to the way Mother Angelica's PCPAs are. Their habit was similar, only the bandeau wasn't "squared" like the PCPAs are. And I'm pretty sure the entire neck wasn't covered, because as they passed me I got a closer look; but at first glance, it did look fully covered (you know how a bandeau + guimpe often gives that impression! Plus with how "flowy" the veil was, it did look that way.)

I swear I'm not crazy, or making it up! I drove beside/in front of/behind them for a good 20 minutes. I didn't get an amazingly good look (because...driving!) but I did get enough of a look to be able to recognize it again if I saw a picture of them. 

Also, I swear their habit was black, not brown. 

Thanks for all the help! I'll have to ask St. Anthony to either help me find out who they are, or quell that nagging feeling about not figuring it out! 

You're confusing them with the Children of Mary.

haha yeah I was sorry! My cousin is discerning with them and I didn't think they were a schism.