An Old School Catholic Message Board

Thoughts On Suffering

17 minutes ago, Credo in Deum said:

Was the alligator attack evil? Aren't all of the animals controled by God and follow his will?  If so, then how is God not a part of it? Do animals have free will? Does God not have the Supreme right to do what He wills with His creation? 

Right. So you think God feeds babies to alligators. 

Credo in Deum
Just now, Maggyie said:

Right. So you think God feeds babies to alligators. 

I love how you try to vilify it.  What do you believe caused it Maggyie? Bad luck? Coincidence? Those are pagan concepts. God is the beginning and end of all things. 

3 minutes ago, Credo in Deum said:

I love how you try to vilify it.  What do you believe caused it Maggyie? Bad luck? Coincidence? Those are pagan concepts. God is the beginning and end of all things. 

Vilify... I'm not the one who thinks God feeds babies to alligators.

I think God made alligators to hunt for prey splashing in the edge of the water at night. I think because we are not puppets nature took its course and he didn't send an angel to pick the baby up or do a little mind control to have the parents change their mind and go camping instead of Disney. 

But I don't think God feeds babies to alligators, nope. 

Credo in Deum
1 minute ago, Maggyie said:

Vilify... I'm not the one who thinks God feeds babies to alligators.

I think God made alligators to hunt for prey splashing in the edge of the water at night. I think because we are not puppets nature took its course and he didn't send an angel to pick the baby up or do a little mind control to have the parents change their mind and go camping instead of Disney. 

But I don't think God feeds babies to alligators, nope. 

But you just shown he could have stopped it if he willed it to be stopped. He had the power to change the course of the alligator, but he didn't.

5 minutes ago, Credo in Deum said:

But you just shown he could have stopped it if he willed it to be stopped. He had the power to change the course of the alligator, but he didn't.

Cuz he's not a puppeteer. I don't believe he micromanages the weather and controls what eats who on what day at what time. Not because he couldn't, but because his relationship with his creation doesn't work that way. Nor do I believe he strangles unborn children with the umbilical cord, nor does he cause them to slowly cook to death in the backseat of a car, screaming and clawing to get out of their car seat as the plastic burns their tiny bodies. YOU think God does that. YOU are comfortable assigning that to God. 

Credo in Deum
Just now, Maggyie said:

Cuz he's not a puppeteer. I don't believe he micromanages the weather and controls what eats who on what day at what time. Not because he couldn't, but because his relationship with his creation doesn't work that way. Nor do I believe he strangles unborn children with the umbilical cord, nor does he cause them to slowly cook to death in the backseat of a car, screaming and clawing to get out of their car seat as the plastic burns their tiny bodies. YOU think God does that. YOU are comfortable assigning that to God. 

I'm comfortable with assiging that to God because I know any natural disaster or calamity can never be considered evil. The second one which is a result of sin I don't not blame God for because while he is in control, he is not responsible for the guilt of sin. 

Right. So again, you're one of those people that believes when a woman delivers a dead baby she needs to understand it's God's will. 

Credo in Deum
11 minutes ago, Maggyie said:

Right. So again, you're one of those people that believes when a woman delivers a dead baby she needs to understand it's God's will. 

Is God not in charge of life and death?-1 Samuel 2:6-7

How about when He killed all of the first born in Egypt Maggyie? Do you beleive there were no children or infants caught up in that? 

Edited by Credo in Deum

22 minutes ago, Credo in Deum said:

Is God not in charge of life and death?-1 Samuel 2:6-7

How about when He killed all of the first born in Egypt Maggyie? Do you beleive there were no children or infants caught up in that? 

There's no archeological evidence the Jews were ever in Egypt. I do think there is historical basis for the various plagues but not in the sense that God killed every single first born. Like much of the Old Testament the story of the Exodus is meant to tell us about the relationship of God to his people, not a documentary. 

Period. 

Edited by Maggyie

Credo in Deum
7 minutes ago, Maggyie said:

There's no archeological evidence the Jews were ever in Egypt. I do think there is historical basis for the various plagues but not in the sense that God killed every single first born. Like much of the Old Testament the story of the Exodus is meant to tell us about the relationship of God to his people, not a documentary. 

Period. 

LOL. Ok, Maggyie. The point still stands that in the OT the relationship between God and the first born of Egypt was that their death was because of Him and that He killed them. Nice dodge though.

Edited by Credo in Deum

The OT is about Gods relationship with the Jews. He didn't kill all the first born of Egypt. It's a story. 

Credo in Deum
1 minute ago, Maggyie said:

The OT is about Gods relationship with the Jews. He didn't kill all the first born of Egypt. It's a story. 

You believe it's a story.

Just now, Credo in Deum said:

You believe it's a story.

It is a story. There's no evidence for millions of slaves in Egypt who then left and wandered in the desert. Not one stick of pottery or evidence for what these slaves would have been doing. Nothing they built or made. The Egyptians were record keepers. It's not likely something as traumatic as a mass die off would vanish completely from their history. 

Credo in Deum
5 minutes ago, Maggyie said:

It is a story. There's no evidence for millions of slaves in Egypt who then left and wandered in the desert. Not one stick of pottery or evidence for what these slaves would have been doing. Nothing they built or made. The Egyptians were record keepers. It's not likely something as traumatic as a mass die off would vanish completely from their history. 

Very little evidence for Christ. Only a matter of time before you call him a story.