An Old School Catholic Message Board

This Is Why There Are So Many Black American Catholics

1 hour ago, hotpink said:

Peace, do you think that part of this is also that Chick Tracks and other literature are also part of the problem?  I've found that blacks tend to be evangelicals who, as a whole, seem to be much more equipped with leaflets and literature, than say, Luthrians.  Could be my experience, but I feel like Catholicism has more forces working against it in some religions more than others--and many of those are dominated by African Americans.

I actually still get the Chick tracts! It's pretty funny. I got them back in the day and can't seem to find my way off of their mailing list.

I agree with your point a lot.

8 minutes ago, Quasar said:

Excellent points, Peace.  What made you decide the learn about Catholicism, if you don't mind me asking?

God's grace. All I can say about that really. God caught me at a time when I was open to hearing the truth.

11 minutes ago, Peace said:

I like the fact that weIt would be nice if we could all get together a bit more for Mass, but I think that is more of a problem with American culture than the Church. Even though we have a melting pot here in the US, we still have a good way to go about getting people from different ethnic groups to actually sit down, talk to each other, and become good friends, etc. . .

I totally agree.

Just now, Quasar said:

Josh, I think that here in the US we can forget that the Catholic Church is bigger than the American Catholic Church.  The universal Church doesn't do badly when it comes to diversity, especially considering we are an association of sinners.  We have had black Popes, important black saints, and the beautiful witness of  predominantly black religious communities.  Also, many of us have the witness of black laity who place piety before comfort and choose attend predominantly white churches (because they're Catholic and that's the Catholic Church that's available to them). You're not going to find a church without sinners, unless it's an empty church.  Maybe your sensitivity to this issue means you have a special role to play in addressing racial disparity in the Church.  But I would also say, let yourself be inspired by black Catholics who attend mass where it surely isn't comfortable, because they're seeking God.  If they can do it, so can you.

I'm not "sensitive" to the issue. I'm just fully aware it's there and don't go out of my way to ignore it and pretend it's not. I love white people. I'm not implying a majority of Catholic whites are racist or that a Mass with all white people in it mean the people there are racist. Although you have people like Dan who I quoted who is clearly a racist yet thinks he's not. There is no room for racism amongst Catholics. None. If you say it doesn't exist you aren't being honest. I understand we are all sinners. I go to Confession weekly or close to it. Not because I'm bored or have nothing to do. Because I have serious sins to confess. My non denominational stint was over 10 years ago. Only since getting sober do I regularly attend Mass. I'm at a point now where I want to go every week and on Holy Days. And like I said my Parish is very diverse in ethnicity. Wasn't aware we had a black Pope? When was this? Also I do work on playing a roll with this issue. Have been the last two years. I work with Catholic Hiphop artist. 2 of them are black.

Just now, Peace said:

My main two parishes are mostly white but it doesn't really bother me. I am there to worship and I look at everybody there as my brother or sister. I sometimes even go to the Spanish Mass. I like the fact that we have a Church that has people from so many different cultures. It would be nice if we could all get together a bit more for Mass, but I think that is more of a problem with American culture than the Church. Even though we have a melting pot here in the US, we still have a good way to go about getting people from different ethnic groups to actually sit down, talk to each other, and become good friends, etc. . .

But I can see how the lack of diversity could make it difficult for some people. When my (non-Catholic) GF joins me for Mass, I will typically go to one of the black parishes in the area, just cause I know she feels more comfortable there in terms of the music, feel, etc.  I am lucky enough to live in an area where there are a decent number of black Catholics. If I were out in the boondocks maybe I might feel a bit lonely . . .

I go to Spanish Mass to sometimes. Also not saying you should feel uneasy at a all white Mass. Everyone there is your brother and sister and most people there aren't racist. So that's not what I'm trying to say. And when I go to Mass I'm soley there to worship as well. I love that about being Catholic. It's a about God when I go. I don't have to speak to anyone. I like it that way. It's one of my favorite parts.

Meant to say it's *All* about God when I go.........Wont let me edit.

Edited by Guest

16 minutes ago, Josh said:

I'm not "sensitive" to the issue. 

That's unfortunate.  Sensitivity to injustice is a trait more Catholics should cultivate.

Just now, Josh said:

All I'm saying if you live in a place where there are lots of black Christians yet when you're at Mass you see none in the pews then there's defitenly a problem.

I'm not saying there's necessarily  a problem with the particular Parish or people there but rather with American Catholicism as a whole and it's outreach and Evangelization to the African American community. 

Just now, Quasar said:

That's unfortunate.  Sensitivity to injustice is a trait more Catholics should cultivate.

Well it depends how you're using the word sensitive. I thought you were implying I'm sensitive to an issue that may not be really there. Or not as bad as I'm perceiving it to be.

26 minutes ago, Josh said:

Also I do work on playing a roll with this issue. Have been the last two years. I work with Catholic Hiphop artist. 2 of them are black.

Never heard your work before...

Just now, Seven77 said:

Never heard your work before...

I don't rap. I help get projects out and videos get made.

Here's something though.......Nihil Hit Me In The DM Told Me Keep Tellin The Truth Might Pull Up In A BM Bumpin Massmatics Two They Used To Call Me DB Wanted To Drop An EP Phatmass OG You Boys Take It Easy Still Against Gay Marriage Modernist Want Me To Change Put The Red Dot On Some Foreheads Aim Deadly Like Danny Ainge You Heretics Is Lame I'm Out Here Stackin Change Why You Hate The Playa Hey Ya You Should Only Hate The Game All About The Love Never Do It For The Fame To Old For The Club I'm Not God I Don't Make It Rain Athesit Like Anomaly Be Talkin All Deranged Actin Like Consiousness Is Just A Product Of The Brain Quantum Physics When I Spit It I'm Like The Wave Switchin Lanes Over Here Over There At The Same Time It's Insane Simulation Gettin Run But In No Way Is Life A Game I'm Mario On You Bowers Save The Princes You In The Flames Burnin For Eternity Talkin Never Ending Pain Hold Up

Edited by Guest

Just now, Josh said:

I don't rap. I help get projects out and videos get made.

Cool.

I think secular forms of music can help evangelize--- but only if those being evangelized  listen to those kinds of music--- and to be sure, not all black folks listen to hip-hop--- isn't it kind of prejudiced to imply that?

38 minutes ago, Josh said:

I thought you were implying I'm sensitive to an issue that may not be really there. Or not as bad as I'm perceiving it to be.

No, I understand that since you're not black, you're not a source of insight into how black Catholics (and non-Catholics) experience the Church.  Neither am I.   I'm personally opposed to two uninformed people having a debate with each other.  

Just now, Quasar said:

No, I understand that since you're not black, you're not a source of insight into how black Catholics (and non-Catholics) experience the Church.  Neither am I.   I'm personally opposed to two uninformed people having a debate with each other.  

I provided a quote from a black friend perhaps you missed it? This quote was also liked on Facebook by several other black Catholics. That means they agreed with it.

Edited by Guest

17 hours ago, Josh said:

When did I say all black folks listen to hiphop?

Sorry, I don't think that I expressed what I was trying to say very well. No, you did not say that all black folks listen to hip-hop. And, I'm not saying that you're saying that either. I'm just saying that from what you stated somebody could misunderstand and think that you think that all back folks listen to hip-hop. Why? Because you said that you are playing a role to address the lack of black Catholics… and the role you're playing is to help get Catholic hip-hop music made. That can only help those who listen to hip-hop. You see what I'm saying and how this all sounds? Not to criticize or anything, just an observation to build on.

I mean making hip-hop is some kind of start I guess but it's very limited. There are a lot of other things that go hand in hand with it.