An Old School Catholic Message Board

This Is Why There Are So Many Black American Catholics

Mannnnnnnn Errrrrrrbody listens to hiphop lol Seriously I think esse's like FuturePriest are the only one's in the 5% that don't like it. And if he heard that New Father Pontifex and Sean P record (A Million Tabernacles) he's probably bobbin his head lol Loving that track like Doctor Dre said I know you're bobbin your head cause I can see ya Phatmass keep their heads ringin ding ding dong God bless 777 you the real MVP

Edited by Guest

In general, there is no more racism among Catholics than among Protestants or non-religious people.  And I don't think the quoted remark was necessarily actually racist, though it was insensitively worded.  For the most parts the black ghetto culture, with its high rates of crime, violence, drugs, promiscuity, absent fathers, etc. is not a positive one, or one that should be looked up to.  (The same could be said of "white trailer park culture.")  I think the insinuation that the "ghetto" lifestyle is somehow a necessary part of being black is racist.

The real problem is that in general American Catholics have done a poor job of evangelizing.  Most white Catholics in the U.S. are descended from immigrants from countries such as Ireland, Italy, Germany, and Poland.  Most blacks are descended from slaves who were here when the country was still overwhelmingly Protestant. The number of American converts of any race is still pretty low given the total population.

There are plenty of blacks in the Catholic churches I've been to in the DFW area, though many are immigrants from Nigeria and other African countries.  Also plenty of Hispanic and Asian Catholics.

The demographics of religious affiliation is extremely complex. Factors include historical origins, cultural influences on churches, evangelization efforts, education, socio-economics, gender, age, geography, worship style/expectations - oh! and what people believe, too.  

You can't reduce any complex situation to one cause. And re-posting other people's incorrect one-cause theories doesn't improve the situation or the discussion of it. 

Just now, Luigi said:

And re-posting other people's incorrect one-cause theories doesn't improve the situation or the discussion of it. 

I think it does. It shows that these views are held when some people deny the fact that blatant racism exist. Also it shows some people object to it and find it repulsive. I just deleted two Catholics last week defending this train of thought and using the N word in public post that could be viewed by anyone on Facebook. I'm not saying this problem only exist in Catholicism. But it's a fact that alot of Non Catholic Churches have a large number of whites and blacks coming together to worship and praise God. I genuinely regret that isn't the case in the Catholic Church at least in America. I don't think there's anything wrong or scandalous bringing this poison to the light and calling it what it is. I'm also not saying it's the sole reason or even a significant one. Although this Dan guy is posting this on a public Catholic news site and no one there even called him out on it. At least that I saw.

Edited by Guest

Just now, Josh said:

I don't think there's anything wrong or scandalous bringing this poison to the light and calling it what it is. 

Poison being racism and comments like Dans.

3 hours ago, Socrates said:

In general, there is no more racism among Catholics than among Protestants or non-religious people.  And I don't think the quoted remark was necessarily actually racist,

Necessarily actually racist? Come on now. Be reasonable. Call a spade a spade.

3 hours ago, Socrates said:

I think the insinuation that the "ghetto" lifestyle is somehow a necessary part of being black is racist.

You have redeemed yourself. Slightly.

What exactly is the "black ghetto culture"? Baggy clothes and hiphop music? A chain? A certain vehicle? A way of talking or slang? What gives some white dude the authority to demonize it and say whiten up. It's pure ignorance. You can partake of all the above things if your heart is in the right place and you know Christ. None of those above things in and of themselves are wrong or bad.

FB_IMG_1472052980570.jpg

https://youtu.be/51xCys0QiDI

Edited by Guest

10 hours ago, Josh said:

I'm not saying this problem only exist in Catholicism. But it's a fact that alot of Non Catholic Churches have a large number of whites and blacks coming together to worship and praise God. I genuinely regret that isn't the case in the Catholic Church at least in America.

The thing is though, the lack of black Catholics in America is probably due more to historical demographics and the need for more evangelization then it is due to racism… something to think about. And you yourself acknowledged that when you said that you were trying to play a role…

That's my observation.

Josh,  

Sounds like you are saying that American Blacks do not convert to Catholicism b/c American Catholics are racists. Part of your argument is, people (on a Catholic website) are racist b/c they don't call out a racist post (racist post in your opinion). That is wild reasoning. 

Just now, Papist said:

Part of your argument is, people (on a Catholic website) are racist b/c they don't call out a racist post (racist post in your opinion). That is wild reasoning. 

Hilarious you're the second one here to say that blatantly racist post wasn't racist lol Its comical. Just like at the register when no one blinked an eye at it. Black people if you're reading WHITEN UP BECAUSE SMUG (RACIST???) WHITE CATHOLICS SAY SO !!!

Edited by Guest

On 8/25/2016 at 1:27 AM, Josh said:

I think it does. It shows that these views are held when some people deny the fact that blatant racism exist. Also it shows some people object to it and find it repulsive. I just deleted two Catholics last week defending this train of thought and using the N word in public post that could be viewed by anyone on Facebook. I'm not saying this problem only exist in Catholicism. But it's a fact that alot of Non Catholic Churches have a large number of whites and blacks coming together to worship and praise God. I genuinely regret that isn't the case in the Catholic Church at least in America. I don't think there's anything wrong or scandalous bringing this poison to the light and calling it what it is. I'm also not saying it's the sole reason or even a significant one. Although this Dan guy is posting this on a public Catholic news site and no one there even called him out on it. At least that I saw.

Josh, you're looking at some facts and drawing erronious concusions.  In Northern Cali, not far from me, there are many spanish-speaking parishes with "black" hatians and dominicans and "white" purtericans and mexicans. They have no issue worshiping together because they (despite some other hates) share a language and similar cultures.

In the north east, churches are much more sectioned by income than race.  It is easy to find the poor churches (often with a large majority of minorities) and the richer churches (both Catholic and protestant) that have a majority of white--but they are majority white areas.

The American south is a funny place.  I've been to Atlanta and found the churches completely integrated no matter where I went.   What was most clear though, that the african americans, the white, the asians ALL were multiple generation families attending.

I'm not denying you see racism, however, I think you may also see it where it dosn't exist.  I've been to Mass in Vermont.  There were no minorities.  However, Vermont is the pretty much whitest state there is.  In New Orlines I went to a church that was pretty much all black, but again more blacks live there.

Other churches, keep in mind, are also not as historical and are far more dependant on the emotional appeal.  We know this is very appealing to young people.  And sadly, many  (way too many) of those are taught to avoid the Catholic Church at any cost.  I don't think any other religion hates one branch of that religion as much as most Protestants hate Catholocism.  And for many people religion is generational and social.  They are willing to risk their souls to have some love on Earth, hoping God will understand.

Just now, hotpink said:

I don't think any other religion hates one branch of that religion as much as most Protestants hate Catholocism.  

Please. I see the best Catholics of all time go off on tirades frequently about non Catholic Christians on Facebook. Saying they aren't Christian ect ect. The exact same thing the antiCatholic Prosteants do and as with much hate. It's on both sides.

Edited by Guest

2 minutes ago, Josh said:

Please. I see the best Catholics of all time go off on tirades frequently about non Catholic Christians on Facebook. Saying they aren't Christian ect ect. The exact same thing the antiCatholic Prosteants do and as with much hate. It's on both sides.

Individuals?  Perhaps.  But it's not institutanlized.  In many Protestant churches, you cannot be considered a part of the church unless you evangelize.  And you evangelized by Chick Tracks.  The Catholic Church dosn't go around in these modern times handing out anti-protestant literature.  It's just not a thing.  Sure, some people are mean or tyranicall or even cruel or nasty.  But that's an action of a member, not the Church itself.