An Old School Catholic Message Board

This Is Why There Are So Many Black American Catholics

Just now, hotpink said:

Individuals?  Perhaps.  But it's not institutanlized.  In many Protestant churches, you cannot be considered a part of the church unless you evangelize.  And you evangelized by Chick Tracks.  The Catholic Church dosn't go around in these modern times handing out anti-protestant literature.  It's just not a thing.  Sure, some people are mean or tyranicall or even cruel or nasty.  But that's an action of a member, not the Church itself.

I agree with the point you're making and someone else made earlier in the thread. The anti- Catholic stuff keeps people away and also the fact alot truly believe the Catholic Church is wrong on doctrine. Also the poor evangelizing efforts to the African American community and their youth. I mean look at EWTN.

Edited by Guest

1 minute ago, Josh said:

I agree with the point you're making and someone else made earlier in the thread. The anti- Catholic stuff keeps people away and also the fact alot truly believe the Catholic Church is wrong on doctrine. Also the evangelizing to the African American community. I mean look at EWTN.

Ok, I'm going to be blunt here.  If hispanics can watch EWTN why do African Americans need a special invitation?

If you're speaking about the staff, keep in mind it was began by a white, elderly nun in the South at a time when there simply weren't alot of people of different races who were Catholic.  Thus, the staff is primarly made up of older white people.  Today EWTN still relies on who's willing to do things (often for free).  I'm sure if more african American priests voulenteered to do shows, or to have their masses filmed, etc, there would be more.  EWTN can't afford to shift demographics and pay more money for someone to speak because of skin color.

Just now, hotpink said:

Ok, I'm going to be blunt here.  If hispanics can watch EWTN why do African Americans need a special invitation?

If you're speaking about the staff, keep in mind it was began by a white, elderly nun in the South at a time when there simply weren't alot of people of different races who were Catholic.  Thus, the staff is primarly made up of older white people.  Today EWTN still relies on who's willing to do things (often for free).  I'm sure if more african American priests voulenteered to do shows, or to have their masses filmed, etc, there would be more.  EWTN can't afford to shift demographics and pay more money for someone to speak because of skin color.

They won't touch Catholic Hiphop. They won't give it the the time of day. Hiphop transcends color and is easily the most popular music today. A Catholic Priest who makes this music in very high quality has been rejected. Even though the music is very well produced and Orthadox. I never said blacks need a special invitation to watch EWTN. And it's not all about hiphop but there's no denying it's a powerful evangelizing tool to reach the masses. Anyhow God bless EWTN.

Also wasn't talking about there being a lack of African Americans on EWTN. That didn't even cross my mind but it is true. But I wasn't even thinking about that. 

Nihil Obstat

I would not run Catholic hip hop either, if I ran a Catholic media outlet. Not my thing, I am not a fan, if someone wants it they can go elsewhere. Does not make me a racist.

10 minutes ago, Josh said:

They won't touch Catholic Hiphop. They won't give it the the time of day. Hiphop transcends color and is easily the most popular music today. A Catholic Priest who makes this music in very high quality has been rejected. Even though the music is very well produced and Orthadox. I never said blacks need a special invitation to watch EWTN. And it's not all about hiphop but there's no denying it's a powerful evangelizing tool to reach the masses. Anyhow God bless EWTN. 

Also wasn't talking about there being a lack of African Americans on EWTN. That didn't even cross my mind but it is true. But I wasn't even thinking about that. 

So...actually, you're wrong (unless you are refering to Spotify).  It's actually country music followed by rap/hiphop and rock.  EWTN dosn't have country music or rock, either, nor do they have "contemporary" music unless it's sung during a Mass they are simocasting.  They only have very traditional vocal and instrumental music for sale, and even the more up-beat children's music is more traditional than any other chidren's music I ever heard.  This may be, in part, to the fact they are not really a music venue, except for maybe the likes of John Michel Talbot.  I know a few FFI's like Fr. Stan Fortuna (white) produce Rap, but despite not getting their rap on EWTN they do television shows....soooo....there's that.

You can't really say they are being racist for not playing rap, when they don't play country, rock or hispanic or asian styles of music, either.  They are just not that into music, except for very, very traditional music.

Just now, Nihil Obstat said:

I would not run Catholic hip hop either, if I ran a Catholic media outlet. Not my thing, I am not a fan, if someone wants it they can go elsewhere. Does not make me a racist.

Didn't say it made you a racist.

I never said EWTN was racist. I don't think that at all. 0 percent.

26 minutes ago, Nihil Obstat said:

Hypothetical question.

Would you run it if it encouraged more people to learn about the Catholic faith than other forms of media?

You may refer to 1 Cor. 9 v. 19-23 before answering.

Edited by Peace

2 minutes ago, Peace said:

Hypothetical question.

Would you run it if it encouraged more people to learn about the Catholic faith than other forms of media?

You may refer to 1 Cor. 9 v. 19-23 before answering.

If I was an expert pianist?  People should evangelize with what they know.  Sure, they could learn a new art form, but it'd be very, very hard to do it right.

Just now, hotpink said:

If I was an expert pianist?  People should evangelize with what they know.  Sure, they could learn a new art form, but it'd be very, very hard to do it right.

So you're saying Catholic Hiphop artist aren't doing it right or the quality isn't there? Have you even heard anything? Because you're in for a big surprise if you think the quality isn't there or there is a lack of talent. I'm hoping I just misunderstood what you were trying to say.

Edited by Guest

Just now, Josh said:

So you're saying Catholic Hiphop artist aren't doing it right or the quality isn't there? Have you even heard anything?  Cause you're in for a big surprise if you think the quality isn't there or there is a lack of talent. I'm hoping I just misunderstood what you were trying to say.

You asked why Nihil Obstat wouldn't run a hiphop.  I can't answer for him, but for myself, it is because I don't study, know, or naturally really like that music form.  I don't like country, either, nor do I like gregorian chant.  Should I run a Catholic media center, myself, or without much of a budget I would not include those art forms.   Even if it would "Attract more" people.  It's just not something I could do well enough.

Can other people do it well?  Considering we're on Phatmass, a site run by a Catholic Hip Hop artist I think the answer is blatantly yes.  Dosn't mean that it's the right thing for everyone to do tho.

Here's the newest video by a Columbian Catholic and African American Catholic. They just released the video today. I was blessed to be able to help fund it. God bless these two men. 

https://youtu.be/x1LEhHhjM-o

Just now, hotpink said:

You asked why Nihil Obstat wouldn't run a hiphop.  

Wrong. Peace asked him.

Edited by Guest

Just now, Nihil Obstat said:

So you can't invite a couple of the Catholic hiphop African Americans (and non African Americans) on a segment once in awhile? Maybe interview them and play their video. I never said there had to be a daily hiphop show. Just show a little love. Is it really that much to ask @Nihil Obstat? Regardless how much you dislike the music and the culture. 

Edited by Guest

1 minute ago, Josh said:

So you can't invite a couple of the Catholic hiphop African Americans (and non African Americans) on a segment once in awhile? Maybe interview them and play their video. I never said there had to be a daily hiphop show. Just show a little love. Is it really that much to ask @Nihil Obstat?

Josh, you do realize this is emotional blackmail, right?  Almost a sort of emotional gaslighting.

If you don't know about a subject it is wise not to "go there".  That dosn't make someone a bad person, which is your inference.  That someone who's unwilling to broach a subject dosn't mean they lack love.  Would DuST lack love if he refused to post Catholic Country Music on Phatmass' main page?  Afterall that IS the most popular form of music.

23 minutes ago, Josh said:

Here's the newest video by a Columbian Catholic and African American Catholic. They just released the video today. I was blessed to be able to help fund it. God bless these two men. 

https://youtu.be/x1LEhHhjM-o

Wrong. Peace asked him.

Sorry "If Peace...."etc

And I simply don't like Rap, I've listened to it, to good and bad and I just don't like it.  Nor do I like country music, nor do I like gregorian chan.  Being "good" dosn't mean I will like it any more.  Nor does it mean that God loves them any less.  Not at all.  

It goes well beyond the music or your preference for it. 2% of African Americans are Catholic. This would be a useful way to reach some of them especially their youth. As well as other races. I'm not calling anyone at EWTN a bad person or saying they're racist. Anyhow about to go to Confession. Peace.

Edited by Guest

42 minutes ago, Josh said:

It goes well beyond the music or your preference for it. 2% of African Americans are Catholic. This would be a useful way to reach some of them especially their youth. As well as other races. I'm not calling anyone at EWTN a bad person or saying they're racist. Anyhow about to go to Confession. Peace.

So, the 2014 PEW study indicates that the Catholic Church in America is 51% white, 31% hispanic and 4% black...various asians and native americans make up the rest.  

2010 cencus In America in general it's 69% white, 17% latino and 12% black with something like 3% of 'all other'/  That means that there are a whole heck of alot of latinos than white people by %, also more of every other minority.   The CC is also not as white as the rest of America.

It also indicated that only 10% of Catholics are converting in with other protestant religions having a 50-90% conversion to and from rate.   Catholics have a 40% out rate of established Catholics, not including the immigrant influs

Catholics have an extremely poor conversion rate, and most of those in the religion were born into it.  I really don't think we want a 90% leaving rate either.  Catholics have a conversion problem, a major conversion problem.  It's not a race problem.

Edited by hotpink