An Old School Catholic Message Board

The Totally Unoffical Phatmass US Presidential Election Poll

Peace

The Totally Unoffical Phatmass US Presidential Election Poll  

62 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

6 minutes ago, <3 PopeFrancis said:

Racism (if that is what it is) is less evil than murder.

Thanks for the tip. Have you actually read this thread?

Edited by Peace

24 minutes ago, Anomaly said:

I must be dazed because I so agree with Nihil on his point.  So many people feel alienated and ignored after voting in Republicans a few years ago and still getting the same ol', same ol'.

Preople are disappointed with politicians being insincere and are inured to the snarky hyperbole that passes as modern political debate now.   

Trump is a public personality that has learned to take advantage of this to become popular.   We've devolved into selecting personalities, not politicians.   That's how mayors and congressman get reelected after being arrested for drugs or prostitutes.  

I believe you and I have similar political opinions. Much as that might shock you.

<3 PopeFrancis
27 minutes ago, Peace said:

Thanks for the tip. Have you actually read this thread?

It was not a tip and I actually did. 

24 minutes ago, Nihil Obstat said:

That's how mayors and congressman get reelected after being arrested for drugs or prostitutes.  

One of the best governor's our state has ever had to my memory was removed from office because of his dirty deed's.  

38 minutes ago, <3 PopeFrancis said:

Racism (if that is what it is) is less evil than murder.

I'm not saying racism doesn't exist, I am saying that it needs to be defined in appropriate context.   Like @Nihil Obstat says  It's Trump's gimmick.

14 minutes ago, <3 PopeFrancis said:

It was not a tip and I actually did. 

OK. I was not sure if you read the thread, because what you wrote has already been stated in this thread. I do not think that anyone here would disagree with it.

I'm not saying racism doesn't exist, I am saying that it needs to be defined in appropriate context.   Like @Nihil Obstat says  It's Trump's gimmick.

You mean the context being that abortion is worse than racism? Or that abortion is a more important issue than racism? 

In today's times, yes, I think most people particpating in this thread would agree with you, including myself. 

I was not sure what the significance of the statement was because it has already been raised in this thread, which you must be aware of having read the thread.

What point is it that you wanted to make by your statement?

<3 PopeFrancis

I could go on four or five pages of my own musings.

Up to this point I haven't participated in the thread.  This is why.  I do not take the risk of revealing myself on this site or others.  Politics is a particularly stark, harsh, and stank glare in revelations of oneself.

These points may be small and over-simplified; but, they are the single most important issue for the presidential election for me  based on Me.  

<3 PopeFrancis
4 hours ago, Peace said:

I was not sure what the significance of the statement was because it has already been raised in this thread, which you must be aware of having read the thread.

the video you posted was raised umpteen times in this thread not to mention the news.  

All is fair in politics.  

If you read my thread you would understand your questions are answered.  Like Mama Ragu says "It's in there."   

:idontknow:

:concede:

34 minutes ago, <3 PopeFrancis said:

the video you posted was raised umpteen times in this thread not to mention the news.  

All is fair in politics.  

If you read my thread you would understand your questions are answered.  Like Mama Ragu says "It's in there."   

:idontknow:

:concede:

Alrighty.

On 9/8/2016 at 0:52 PM, KnightofChrist said:

Some feel they only have the choice between him and an extreme advocate for mass-murder of children, who belongs to a party that from its founding has always advocated crimes against humanity in one way or other. IE Slavery, Segregation, Eugenics, Abortion.

LOL

On 9/18/2016 at 9:17 PM, Socrates said:

It's because the Democratic Party, at least at the national level, is thoroughly in the pockets of the pro-abortion lobby (NOW, PP, and the rest of them), and is beholden to it.  The "social left" (pro-abortion, pro-"gay marriage," etc.) also comprises a large part of the modern party's base.

Sadly, despite their fanatically pro-abortion stance, they don't seem to have much trouble winning much of the "religious" vote, including the "Catholic vote."   I don't realistically foresee them dropping the pro-abortion position anytime soon.  The Dems seem to be rapidly drifting ever leftward.

To a large extent, I think you're right here.  Trump is more of an old-fashioned Democrat than a conservative, and is going after the blue-collar vote that was once the Dem's base.  He's also appealing to them on things like supporting the military and police (whether you believe him sincere or not), in contrast to the current Party.

1-LOL @ NOW being a major force in Democratic Party politics. This isn't 1975 anymore

2-Calling Trump an 'old fashioned Democrat' is dumb (except for his racism, which would have been as welcome in the old democratic Party as it is in the current Republican Party). His actual domestic policy proposals are not at all in line with the platform of the Democratic Party. Period. This is not a serious claim.

On 9/8/2016 at 10:46 AM, dUSt said:

I won't vote for Trump or Hillary but if someone was holding a gun to my head telling me I had to pick one it would have to be Trump.

I think the most important thing that will happen over the next four years is the selection of supreme court judges, and on that issue I trust Trump over Hillary to choose candidates more in line with Catholic teaching.

All of his other crazy ideas would have to pass congress so I'm not as concerned with them.

Nope. He can change deportation prioritization all on his own. 

On 9/16/2016 at 3:08 PM, Anomaly said:

If Catholics would insist on Abortion being a priority and consistently vote that way in local, regional, state, and Federal elections, abortion would be gone in my life time and I'm much older than most of you.  

It could start with gaining legal recognition of fetus as persons.  

As long as citizens devolve our election choices to be based on"nice people" and superficiality every four years, we will continue to be fooled into allowing infanticide as a trade for nice insurance or nicer wars.  

Local and regional elections don't have any say on abortion

On 9/16/2016 at 6:29 PM, KnightofChrist said:

I tried to make a point earlier in the thread and everyone pretty much just completely ignored it and carried on.

I see that once again I am a Phatmass trend-setter 

Maybe with the help of a few good shots of bourbon I could get around to voting for Trump. The only reedeming quality that I can really come up with concernig Clinton is that she has "some kind of relevant experience" and that she is not Donald Trump, while there are at least one or two policy issues (such as school choice) where Trump seems to be better. 

I live in VA so my vote won't count this time, regardless.

<3 PopeFrancis
On 9/16/2016 at 6:29 PM, KnightofChrist said:

I tried to make a point earlier in the thread and everyone pretty much just completely ignored it and carried on.

But I do very much believe that if abortion was unveiled and happened out in the open how we've all carried ourselves in this thread would be drastically different. The same would true if the victims were toddlers, a minority or religious group, or pretty much any group that we can communicate and interact with being murdered in mass out and in the open.

You will forgive me but I do not believe you would have trouble understanding why there is "seething hatred", as you call it, for Hillary Clinton if she instead advocated the mass murder of a group and you had to see it happen, hear it happen, and smell the after effects of what happened. I believe the only reason you have trouble understanding the passion some have against Clinton is because abortion is veiled and hidden away.

I also believe that if Clinton believed that religious groups were not persons and advocated the mass-murder of those persons you wouldn't say she had the credentials to be president. I'm sure you and everyone else in here would say that would automatically make her horribly disqualified. No one in this thread would have voted for her in the poll, no one in this thread would have defended even the remote idea that it could be permissible to vote for her. And everyone in this thread would have been a lot harder than Ds, Anomaly, Soc or I have been on anyone that would dare to say one could vote for Clinton in such a reality.

Does anyone actually deny any point I've just made? I'd prefer not to have it ignored again. But if it is I think I will understand why.

I would vote for her based off her credentials as a politician.  That small "abortion" issue will not allow me to.  I personally perceived she wanted hubby's presidency more than him. I really thought that then.

Her problem is she advocates it legally.  Trump says he does not.  This small technicality can actually work for us if we do what German citizens did not do and not allow atrocities to unfold.  They curiously could not stand to euthanize the vulnerable with disabilities.

The United States was vehement at the trials of crimes against humanity.  This is the only hope with Trump.  

<3 PopeFrancis
On 9/8/2016 at 2:55 PM, Spem in alium said:

I am not American, but election stuff is often being discussed here. Frankly, I'm stunned at the whole situation. I am praying for America. In God we trust, yes? :)

Thank you very much.  God bless you and your nation as well.

16 hours ago, <3 PopeFrancis said:
On ‎9‎/‎09‎/‎2016 at 4:25 AM, Spem in alium said:

I am not American, but election stuff is often being discussed here. Frankly, I'm stunned at the whole situation. I am praying for America. In God we trust, yes?

Me too - stunned & praying, trusting God.  I am an Australian.