An Old School Catholic Message Board

Pope Francis Continues to Denigrate Traditionalists

Nihil Obstat

1 hour ago, dUSt said:

Maybe we should all view the pope's words as a call to be more holy and an opportunity to improve our interior lives rather than just simple criticism. Does one criticize a teacher for pointing out how students could improve their math problem solving? Let the pope do his job, and then you do yours.

I think that's the best way to view the rigid comment, as there is a tendency in traditionalist circles to a kind of rigidity (though I think the statement oversimplifies the reality; most generalizations do). I say this as someone who most would be describe as more of a traditionalist. However, I'm more worried about his comment that he views the "reform of the reform" as fundamentally an error. That's basically a slap in the face to Pope Benedict XVI, who was certainly very supporting of the renewal of the liturgy. 

Edited by Amppax

Sponsa-Christi
5 hours ago, dUSt said:

Maybe we should all view the pope's words as a call to be more holy and an opportunity to improve our interior lives rather than just simple criticism. Does one criticize a teacher for pointing out how students could improve their math problem solving? Let the pope do his job, and then you do yours.

This is sort of my point exactly!

13 hours ago, Peace said:

I know right?! When the pope agrees with me he has full, supreme, and universal power to which the whole Church must assent. 

When he disagrees with me, not so much.

Straw-man.

@Peace,

I do agree that your statement in this post (re: people agreeing with the Pope) is factually correct. (incidentally, that was in response to one of my own posts)

Nonetheless, your post:

9 hours ago, Peace said:

That's what people say who are guilty of it.

Don't you think you could have phrased it better, making it more reflecting of merciful love? What makes you think Socrates is guilty of it? 

On 11/11/2016 at 9:07 PM, Nihil Obstat said:

Look, I am pretty used to stuff like this. But you just get sick of hearing it day after day.

http://www.catholicculture.org/news/headlines/index.cfm?storyid=29904

We who prefer the traditional Mass are necessarily rigid. Rigidity means we are defensive, hiding something, and we do not have "true love". These are blanket statements.

You know... That is me, my wife, it will be our future children, almost all of our closest friends, everyone at our parish. (And this is a fully 'approved' traditional Mass community, no canonical fighting, no question of our obedience.) The priests who have ministered to our community, the very best priests I have had the honour to know.

You know what I see? Not rigidity or defensiveness. We are all regular Catholics, we take the faith seriously. We get married and have kids, we work hard to make sure our Masses are beautiful, we pray the rosary before Mass, we host catechism classes and chant practicums, we started up a children's chant choir, and our adult choir is excellent and dedicated, we sponsor seminarians and missions. We hold processions, celebrate feast days, host summer camps. We have a men's guild and a mothers' group, the Legion of Mary, Patrician Society. We meet after Mass and have coffee, we play soccer, we look after each other's kids and share meals, we exchange advice and prayers and support. We are just all regular practicing Catholics who want to believe what the Church has always believed.

He is our pope. I pray for him daily, and for his intentions. But the pope simply does not like us. It is clear as day. He wants us not to exist. He has been saying things like this since the first days of his pontificate, and he will continue to say them.

Anyway, I am just complaining. Thank you for indulging me.

I am with you. I can't stand this pope anymore. And for this, many catholics can't stand me anymore, but that is!!

And alot of Traditionalists haven't denigrated him? I've seen him called the 6 letter f word in an article on one of those websites you mention. The hate is definitely real. How does the Remnant let that lady write for them when she routinely calls gay people fags? Over and over again? I thought we were supposed to show love and sensitivity to homosexuals? Not saying I'm not guilty myself but I don't write for the Remnant(A Catholic website?) and I'm trying to grow in charity and understanding in this area. Obviously charity and understanding doesn't mean thinking gay marriage should ever be accepted as normal or that gay fornication can ever not be sinful. But charity and understanding in realizing it's not acceptable and is probably gravely sinful to refer to gay people as fags. Especially in articles you write for a "Catholic?" publication. I'm praying Pope Francis works things out with the 4 Cardinals. Maybe he is wrong on this. That's not my call but I do think I tend to lean towards there being problems with what the Pope is trying to teach. But I'm just an alcoholic poker player and a miserable sinner so I realize my thoughts on wether the Pope is in error or not matters to no one. On the other hand someone like you is way more informed and your opinion carries weight. I say that with no malice. I've learned alot from you and plan to continue to. And like I said I lean towards agreeing with your and other Trads view on this. But I definitely won't go around declaring Pope Francis an official heretic and anti pope and all the other stuff I read about him on these websites. Or calling him a *****. When there's a council and it's declared he isn't Pope anymore then I will accept that and recognize the new Pope. Until then Pope Francis is still the Pope and should be treated with respect.

Edited by Guest

On 11/17/2016 at 8:41 AM, Jack4 said:

@Peace,

I do agree that your statement in this post (re: people agreeing with the Pope) is factually correct. (incidentally, that was in response to one of my own posts)

Nonetheless, your post:

Don't you think you could have phrased it better, making it more reflecting of merciful love? What makes you think Socrates is guilty of it? 

There's like years of history here, young grasshopper, that are from before your time. Before Peace's too, as a matter of fact. 

Not saying that excuses being uncharitable, there's just much more to it than what you've seen. 

7 hours ago, Amppax said:

There's like years of history here, young grasshopper, that are from before your time. Before Peace's too, as a matter of fact. 

Not saying that excuses being uncharitable, there's just much more to it than what you've seen. 

@Amppax

Are you saying that, in those posts, there is more to it than the surface, something which happened in the past was reflected there? Forgive my ignorance of this language, my brother.