An Old School Catholic Message Board

Pope Francis Continues to Denigrate Traditionalists

Nihil Obstat

Just now, Nihil Obstat said:

:idontknow: I always treat you with respect. If I cannot expect the same in return, then I guess that is how it is.

I'm not disrespecting you. haha I never said anything about you. You're not who I'm addressing.

I'm addressing people who call Pope Francis a ****** and claim to be Catholic.

Edited by Guest

1 minute ago, Josh said:

I'm not disrespecting you. haha I never said anything about you. You're not who I'm addressing.

I'm addressing people who call the Pope Francis a ****** and claim to be Catholic.

None of those people are here on this site. If you want to talk to traditionalists about traditionalism, then we can have a discussion. But not if you are going to pretend that we are all as horrible as the caricature you have in your head.

I don't think you're horrible at all lol I've never said anything like that. You bring up the Remnant so I'm going to give my thoughts. It's called freedom of speech. 

Fine, do what you want. Keep ranting about boogeyman traditionalists who say mean things. No need to have a real discussion with any real people about anything.

You started a thread called the "Pope continues to denigrate Traditionalists" so I'm giving my thoughts on the topic. Does everyone have to agree with your narrative?

Edited by Guest

3 hours ago, Nihil Obstat said:

Fine, do what you want. Keep ranting about boogeyman traditionalists who say mean things. No need to have a real discussion with any real people about anything.

The ranters Josh is taking about are very real people unfortunately. I'm convinced many of these people have given themselves over to Satanic influences - the blasphemic rage against the priesthood, God's annointed, holy things like the Sacrifice of the Mass. These are not just "mean things" - they are sacreligious and desecrating. I notice you studiously avoid condemning them. 

35 minutes ago, Maggyie said:

The ranters Josh is taking about are very real people unfortunately. I'm convinced many of these people have given themselves over to Satanic influences - the blasphemic rage against the priesthood, God's annointed, holy things like the Sacrifice of the Mass. These are not just "mean things" - they are sacreligious and desecrating. I notice you studiously avoid condemning them. 

None of them are here, so Josh is yelling into the wind. I am avoiding nothing. It is not my job to track down quotes I have not read from people I do not know so that I can grandstand my moral superiority. Would you like to give me a list of quotes that I may go through one by one and issue the formal Nihil Obstat Anathema? Because that sounds tedious and silly.

Teh Interwebz are full of people posting moronic and hateful things.  You can find it in the comments on all kinds of sites, blogs, social media, etc. (whether liberal, conservative, trad, whatever).  Mr. Gore's glorious invention tends to bring out the worst in folks, where any loser, hiding behind anonymity and a computer screen, can say whatever he feels like to the entire world without fear of consequence.

@Josh, it appears you spend way, way too much time on teh interwebz, reading this garbage, then getting all bent out of shape over some stupid garbage someone posted somewhere, then using said garbage to characterize huge broad categories of people (Catholics, trads, conservatives, etc.)

It's best to ignore the interweb idiots and trolls, and not waste time dwelling on them.  Maybe at least stay off "comments" sections of sites.  You'll find yourself happier and healthier.  (And yes, I probably need to take more of my own advice.)

The problem with all of this is that there is an element of truth to what our Holy Father is saying. As someone who certainly falls on the "traditionalist" side of the spectrum, my first reaction to his statements tends to be defensive or dismissive, and feel he is talking about me or those I know. But I would be lying to myself if I said I don't know the sort of people he's referring to (I know far too many, though not necessarily here), or that I don't recognize the dangers he warns of, because they are real. The problem with these statements is that he paints with so broad a brush, and it seems clear to me that, in a way different from his comments about other demographics, he is attacking traditionalists, both good and bad, as an obstacle to his vision for the Church. 

Certainly a time where we need to pray for our Holy Father, and for our Church. Obedience, docility, and humility are virtues I have been working on, and so I try to engage those whenever I hear of something controversial the Pope has said.

Real talk for a moment: Bishop Athanasius Schneider talks and writes like a saint. Check out anything he says, any of it could have been written or spoken by a saint at any point in the Church's history. Very encouraging.

On 11/30/2016 at 5:53 AM, Socrates said:

Teh Interwebz are full of people posting moronic and hateful things.  You can find it in the comments on all kinds of sites, blogs, social media, etc. (whether liberal, conservative, trad, whatever).  Mr. Gore's glorious invention tends to bring out the worst in folks, where any loser, hiding behind anonymity and a computer screen, can say whatever he feels like to the entire world without fear of consequence.

@Josh, it appears you spend way, way too much time on teh interwebz, reading this garbage, then getting all bent out of shape over some stupid garbage someone posted somewhere, then using said garbage to characterize huge broad categories of people (Catholics, trads, conservatives, etc.)

It's best to ignore the interweb idiots and trolls, and not waste time dwelling on them.  Maybe at least stay off "comments" sections of sites.  You'll find yourself happier and healthier.  (And yes, I probably need to take more of my own advice.)

I agree. Never read comboxes.

And never seek things to be depressed about.

16 minutes ago, Nihil Obstat said:

Real talk for a moment: Bishop Athanasius Schneider talks and writes like a saint. Check out anything he says, any of it could have been written or spoken by a saint at any point in the Church's history. Very encouraging.

I agree. http://www.ewtn.com/library/bishops/schneider-proposte.htm was one of his writings that I first read. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/16/2016 at 7:52 PM, Jack4 said:

Thank you. Do you have examples of him criticizing EENS denial, atheism, deism, indifference, relativism, moral subjectivity,  etc?  By these, I mean the core or basis or cause of modernism, as opposed to effects or consequences or conclusions. 

"Still today some say: “Christ yes, the Church no”. Like those who say “I believe in God but not in priests”. But it is the Church herself which brings Christ to us and which brings us to God. The Church is the great family of God’s children. " http://w2.vatican.va/content/francesco/en/audiences/2013/documents/papa-francesco_20130529_udienza-generale.html