An Old School Catholic Message Board

Kayte Discerns (An Ongoing Journey)

Kayte Postle

Pham, quick update. 

Life has rocked me hard lately. I got super sick with a nasty ear infection, missed some work because of it and policy being strict as it is I was asked to resign. I've got other things lined up, so I'm fine in that area. But the whole situation has me off kilter. I started thinking that I shouldn't be going on retreat when life is this hectic. I had a very honest conversation with the VD of the community I'm discerning with, and she encouraged me to still come. I don't have to make any decisions while I'm down there, and could use the time to just be away with Jesus. She was very kind, comforting, and wise. It's not going to go over well with my family, but I'm prepared for their reactions and will emphasize the need to be away with Jesus for some time. I'm leaving for retreat in less than two weeks, so I'm getting nervous and excited. Please pray for me! 

TLDR: Still going on retreat despite life rocking the boat. 

I agree that a retreat may be a blessing. Undoubtedly, there will be those (including parents, perhaps) who think that all you should be doing is job hunting, or that even a brief break might mean you'll miss out on a possible job. But you've had a rocky road, and a break from the stress might help you a good deal. (It is a shame that you worked for a company which made someone resign because of missing time because of an ear infection - that is deplorable.)

On 2/1/2020 at 11:09 AM, Kayte Postle said:

I got super sick with a nasty ear infection, missed some work because of it and policy being strict as it is I was asked to resign.

This is actually illegal.  The Family and Medical Leave Act requires employers to give up to 12 weeks of medical leave in any 12 month period.

A quote from the FMLA:

"...a serious health condition that makes the employee unable to perform the essential functions of his or her job."

32 minutes ago, JHFamily said:

This is actually illegal.  The Family and Medical Leave Act requires employers to give up to 12 weeks of medical leave in any 12 month period.

A quote from the FMLA:

"...a serious health condition that makes the employee unable to perform the essential functions of his or her job."

Unfortunately it was legal because I was in my first 90 days of employment. FMLA doesn't kick in most places until you've been there for a year. 

• 2 weeks later...

Sitting at the airport waiting to board my flight to go visit the sisters for the next 5 days. Please pray for me during this time! 

Dearest Kayte, 

I guess you're probably already in the convent at this time, but hopefully you will see my message when you get back. Please be assured of my prayers and know that nothing can prevent you from doing God's will, and His timing is perfect. I had a similar situation where I was in the convent with the Sisters right after being told the school I previously worked in had issues and my contract was suddenly ended. I still went ahead to the Sisters and continued my discernment despite my job being up in the air and have come back to where I stay to find myself in a new job in a better school. So trust in God's will and His plan. Let the Creator create what He envisioned of His creation, since His plan is perfect and always to make us more fully human and alive, to be the people He meant us to be.

Peace and God bless, 

Kim Thérèse

My dear Pham! 

Retreat was AVVESOME. The minute my plane loaded and Sr. MP picked me up I was so at peace and felt so at home. Never have I been on retreat where I felt like I was truly authentically myself the entire time. I also have never been so accepted and embraced for being authentically myself, warts and all. Saturday I slept through my alarm and missed morning prayer, so my roommate had to come get me for mass. When each sister asked me about how I slept and I shared that bit of news each of them said something to the tune of "It's okay, Jesus knew you needed the extra z's". This is one small example of the love and generosity I experienced. I also came home to two jobs offers later in the week, with another job interview still to go this week. God is good! He lavishes on His beloved, in His time of course. 

The most exciting news is that, I have asked for application papers to the community!! They should be arriving in the mail in the next couple of days. My friends and mental health doctors are thrilled and behind me 100%. My family is another thing. My father and sister are keeping their opinions to themselves, but I can tell they are livid. My mother and I are speaking tomorrow (she has been on vacation in another state since I got home), and I know from past experience that it's not going to go over well. Please storm the heavens with prayers for this intention! If accepted my entrance into the affiliacy will be early September 2020, with me moving down there in late August. I'm very thankful for the affiliacy, as it should be an easier transition for my loved ones and myself. I will be living with the community while still having an outside job, which also gives me an extra year to work on my debts before entering the postulancy. 

I am so excited, joyful, and a tad bit nervous. I know that this is the step and time I need to do this. Please keep me and my family in your prayers during this time. I have a lot to take care of in the next 6 months, (should I be accepted), and I don't think it's quite set in yet that I'm actually finally taking this step. 

:nun1:

Edited by Kayte Postle