An Old School Catholic Message Board

Quotations that Motivate & Inspire

BarbTherese

u-g-PFE7F00.jpg?w=550&h=550&p=0

Saint Thomas Aquinas (1225-1274)
Dominican theologian, Doctor of the Church

“The bread of angels becomes food for pilgrims, true bread of God’s children”

Prayer

Almighty and ever-living God, I approach the sacrament of your only-begotten Son, our Lord Jesus Christ. I come sick to the doctor of life, unclean to the fountain of mercy, blind to the radiance of eternal light, and poor and needy to the Lord of heaven and earth.

Lord, in your great generosity, heal my infirmity, wash away my defilement, enlighten my blindness, enrich my poverty, and clothe my nakedness. May I receive the bread of angels (Ps 78:25), the King of kings and Lord of lords (1Tm 6:15), with humble reverence, with the purity and faith, the repentance and love, and the determined purpose that will help to bring me to salvation.

May I receive the sacrament of the Lord's Body and Blood, and its reality and power. Kind God, may I so receive the Body of your only-begotten Son, our Lord Jesus Christ, which was born from the womb of the Virgin Mary, that I be received into his mystical Body and numbered among his members.

Loving Father, as on my earthly pilgrimage I now receive your beloved Son under the veil of a sacrament, may I one day see him Face to face in glory, who lives and reigns with you forever and ever Amen.

(From: Daily Gospel.org)

170px-San_Juan_Bautista_por_Joan_de_Joan

24th Jun 2019

General Calendar

Solemnity of The Nativity of John The Baptist

https://catholicherald.co.uk/news/2014/06/24/pope-points-to-st-john-the-baptist-as-model-for-evangelising/

Pope Francis: "The Pope went on to say that St John knew that his gift for speaking, preaching, moving people’s hearts and attracting a crowd had a purpose that had nothing to do with him and everything to do with Jesus.

As a model for evangelising, St John the Baptist demonstrates that “a Christian does not proclaim him- or herself, but another, and prepares the way for another: the Lord. A Christian must know how to discern and must discern the truth from that which seems to be true, but isn’t,” the Pope said. Finally, “a Christian knows how to diminish so that the Lord increases in the hearts and souls of others.”

0624-624x468.png

My Comment: Most translations end in "save that of knowing that I do Your Holy Will"  I double checked on an Ignatian website and they quote "knowing".  Interestingly too something I had never heard before that the famous prayer of St Francis "Lord make me an instrument of Your Peace" and the prayer above by St Ignatius may not have these two famous saints as the authors. https://www.ignatianspirituality.com/teach-me-to-be-generous/

302506_3989.jpg

HYMN

(From Morning Prayer)

Now that the daylight fills the sky
We lift our hearts to God on high,
That He, in all we do or say,
Would keep us free from harm today:

Would guard our hearts and tongues from strife;
From anger's din would hide our life;
From evil sights would turn our eyes;
Would close our ears to vanities.

So we, when this new day is gone
and night in turn is drawing on,
With conscience by the world unstained
Shall praise His name for vict'ry gained.

To God the Father and the Son
And Holy Spirit, three in one,
Be endless glory as before
The world began, so evermore. Amen.

It is certain that God cannot, will not, never did, reject a charitable man in his greatest need and in his most passionate prayers; for God himself is love, and every degree of charity that dwells in us is the participation of the Divine Nature.

- Jeremy Taylor

(From Dominican Sisters of Peace)

heavenonearth-min.jpg

https://catholicexchange.com/how-to-receive-holy-communion-to-the-fullest?mc_cid=bdc4d6d931&mc_eid=1ea4a385a2

Excerpt: Common Priesthood of the Faithful: Live Out the Offertory

If you have a chance, view the movie The Greatest Miracle or El Gran Milagro (in both English and Spanish). This movie, in a clear, appealing, and dynamic fashion explains the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass by means of claymation. All done in 70 minutes. Among the themes worthy of highest praise is the presentation of how the Guardian Angel teaches the importance of living out the Mass by means of participating fully, actively, and consciously in the Offertory of the Mass. By this, the priest offers the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass, but the faithful who participate in the Mass are called to make their own offering in the Mass—called the Offertory!

angels-priest-blessing-eucharist.jpg

This is done by making a spiritual offering of oneself and placing it on the altar, placing it on the paten where the priest’s Host is deposited which will become the Precious Body of Jesus. Also, one is called to place one’s intentions in the chalice where the wine will be transformed into the Precious Blood of Jesus.

If done seriously, your Communions will have infinite value and efficacy for you, the Church, and the whole world, even the souls in Purgatory!

51GcQvBF90L._SX322_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Subscribe: https://flocknote.com/catechism

289. When does the Church oblige her members to participate at Holy Mass?

The Church obliges the faithful to participate at Holy Mass every Sunday and on holy days of obligation. She recommends participation at Holy Mass on other days as well.

Further reading: CCC 1389, 1417

290. When must one receive Holy Communion?

The Church recommends that the faithful, if they have the required dispositions, receive Holy Communion whenever they participate at Holy Mass. However, the Church obliges them to receive Holy Communion at least once a year during the Easter season.

Further reading: CCC 1389

---o0o---

Read The Bible in a Year

https://readthecatholicbibleinayear.wordpress.com/

the-most-sacred-heart-of-jesus-svitozar-

28th June 2019

Solemnity of Sacred Heart of Jesus

Read post by cappie: 

immaculate-heart-of-mary-laminated-praye

29th June, the next day, is traditionally Memorial of Immaculate Heart of Mary;

however, since the Solemnity of Sts Peter and Paul

this year falls on 29th June, it transcends a Memorial in the liturgical calendar.

I will be remembering today The Immaculate Heart of Mary in conjunction with The Sacred Heart of Jesus.

Edited by BarbaraTherese

Daily Reflection – June 28 – St. Vincent de Paul

“Rash judgments are what Jesus most reproved in the Gospel.”

– Lord, because I can never know the motives or interior struggles of another person, help me to avoid those thoughtless judgments I so often make about the actions of others. Forgive me for my failures in this regard.

I have never been able to internalise the reason Jesus had to suffer so terribly and die for us all.  Be that as it may, we have indeed received "Through His Fullness we have all received, grace upon grace" John Chapter 1 - through the life and death, resurrection of Jesus.

So much to be thankful for every single day!

0629-624x468.png

Edited by BarbaraTherese

Laughing_Christ.jpg

I think that if Jesus never laughed, He would not have been like us in all things (except sin).  Like most all of God's Gifts to us, His gifts can be used for good or for ill.

A healthy sense of humour can help us through difficult stages of our journey.  And the ability to laugh at oneself helps us to not take ourselves much too seriously and burden our own soul and that of others.

Laughter 

H E R E

Excerpt: "Given this understanding, did Jesus laugh? 

Nowhere in the New Testament do we find a specific citation of Jesus laughing.  Of course, nowhere in the New Testament do we find a specific citation of anyone laughing, that is in the positive sense of laughter.  Nevertheless, our Lord must have laughed.  He must have laughed with our Blessed Mother and St. Joseph over a humorous story or situation, or while playing a game.  He must have laughed with His apostles and others while He enjoyed their company:  Even in the gospel, He is maligned by His enemies “of being a glutton and a drunkard” (Matthew 11:19), indicating our Lord must have shared some good times, albeit virtuously.  To think that our Lord never laughed or lacked a sense of humor would contradict His perfect human nature, who is one like us in all things but sin.

The great saints who in their lives reflected the life of the Lord knew the value of laughter and good humor.  Only those inclined to a pessimistic spirituality would condemn laughter.  St. Teresa of Avila, one of the great mystics of our Church, once looked around the chapel and saw all of the serious looking sisters; she blurted-out, “Lord, save me from these sullen-faced saints!”  St. Teresa was also able to laugh at life and herself:  once she commented about convent life, “Experience has taught me what a house full of women is like.”

Other saints too knew the value of laughter and joy:  St. Ignatius of Loyola taught, “Laugh and grow strong.”  St. John Bosco said, “I want no long-faced saints.”  St. Francis de Sales said, “A sad saint is a sorry saint.”  St. Thomas Aquinas taught, “Happiness is the natural life of man.”  What would have inspired these saints to make such statements if not meditating on the life of our Lord?  Not to take away from the great example of St. Anthony Claret, but joyful love of the Lord and well-placed laughter has made more converts than harsh penances and sullen faces.  Archbishop Fulton Sheen summed it up well: “The only time laughter is wicked is when it is turned against Him who gave it.”

On 6/23/2019 at 5:53 PM, BarbaraTherese said:

170px-San_Juan_Bautista_por_Joan_de_Joan

24th Jun 2019

General Calendar

Solemnity of The Nativity of John The Baptist

https://catholicherald.co.uk/news/2014/06/24/pope-points-to-st-john-the-baptist-as-model-for-evangelising/

Pope Francis: "The Pope went on to say that St John knew that his gift for speaking, preaching, moving people’s hearts and attracting a crowd had a purpose that had nothing to do with him and everything to do with Jesus.

As a model for evangelising, St John the Baptist demonstrates that “a Christian does not proclaim him- or herself, but another, and prepares the way for another: the Lord. A Christian must know how to discern and must discern the truth from that which seems to be true, but isn’t,” the Pope said. Finally, “a Christian knows how to diminish so that the Lord increases in the hearts and souls of others.”

13 hours ago, BarbaraTherese said:

Daily Reflection – June 28 – St. Vincent de Paul

“Rash judgments are what Jesus most reproved in the Gospel.”

– Lord, because I can never know the motives or interior struggles of another person, help me to avoid those thoughtless judgments I so often make about the actions of others. Forgive me for my failures in this regard.

5 minutes ago, Gary david said:

Hi Barbara! Just stopping in to say hello and see how you are doing. God bless you Barbara...Gary

cat-316994_960_720.jpg

2 hours ago, BarbaraTherese said:

Hi Gary

Cruising along.  Would you please say a prayer for my brother - he is very ill.

God bless

Oh Lord I'm sorry Barbara. I'm glad I stopped in so that now I may pray for him ok Barbara. God bless you Barbara...gary