An Old School Catholic Message Board

Quotations that Motivate & Inspire

BarbTherese

WORTH READING...........

The book: https://www.sophiainstitute.com/products/item/in-the-face-of-darkness

"In the Face of Darkness conveys the struggle of the Mexican people during the time of the Cristero Uprising and its aftermath. Written in the style of a novel, the author draws the reader in with this moving portrayal of trust in God during this fierce religious persecution."

Very Rev. Adam Gregory Gonzales, O.C.D.
Provincial Superior, Discalced Carmelite Friars

Daily Reflection St Vincent de Paul
July 13 https://famvin.org/reflections/daily-reflection-july-13-5/

“By love, Our Lord won over those he wanted to believe in him. No matter how much we exert ourselves, people will never have faith in us unless we show charity and compassion to those whom we wish to believe in us.”
– St. Vincent de Paul

– Good works, no matter how praiseworthy, will never engender trust. Knowing your unconditional love for me, Lord, makes it possible for me to love others and reveal to them how blessed they are in your sight.

0716-624x468.png

Biography http://www.faustina-message.com/biography-michael-sopocko.htm  Excerpt: "

From 1932 Father Sopoćko was the confessor at the Congregation of the Sisters of Our Lady of Mercy, whose convent then was in Vilnius. There, in May 1933, he met Sister Faustina Kowalska who became his penitent. Their meeting proved to be the defining moment for the future of Father Sopoćko and his mission. Sister Faustina, having found in Father Sopoćko an enlightened confessor and spiritual director, began to share with him her spiritual experiences and visions of the Merciful Saviour. As there was not enough time, Father Sopoćko asked Faustina to record her inner experiences in a diary. He then reviewed the texts at his leisure.

In this way, the spiritual ”Diary” of Saint Sister Faustina came into being."

img_0148.jpg

If you wish to be disappointed, look to others. If you wish to be downhearted, look to yourself. If you wish to be encouraged, look upon Jesus Christ.-

Erich Sauer

("Those who look to him are radiant, and their faces shall never be ashamed." Ps. 34:5)

0718-624x468.png

7169060a09ea2cb743e1935a2ba496c7.jpg

Diadochus of Photike (c.400-?)
Bishop

On spiritual knowledge, nos. 2, 35, 94 (The Philokalia; trans. G.E.H. Palmer, Philip Sherrard, Kallistos Ware; alt.)

"Take my yoke upon you and you will find rest for your souls" (Mt 11:29)

Only God is good by nature, but with God's help man can become good through careful attention to his way of life. He transforms himself into what he is not when his soul, by devoting its attention to true delight, unites itself to God insofar as its faculties desire this (…)

Just as a rough sea naturally subsides when oil is poured on it, so the soul readily grows calm when anointed with the grace of the Holy Spirit. For it submits joyfully to the dispassionate and ineffable grace which overshadows it, in accordance with the psalmist's words: "My soul be obedient to God" (Ps 62:5 LXX). As a result, no matter how greatly it is provoked by the demons, the soul remains free from anger and is filled with the greatest joy. No one can enter or remain in such a state unless he sweetens his soul continually with the fear of God. (…)

Just as wax cannot take the imprint of a seal unless it is warmed or softened thoroughly, so no one can receive the seal of God's holiness unless tested by labors and weaknesses. That is why the Lord says to our wonderful Saint Paul: "My grace I sufficient for you, for my power comes to its fullness in your weakness"; and the apostle himself proudly declares: "Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my weaknesses so that the power of Christ may rest on me" (2 Cor 12:9).

"The refusal to take sides on great moral issues is itself a decision. It is a silent acquiescence to evil. The Tragedy of our time is that those who still believe in honesty lack fire and conviction, while those who believe in dishonesty are full of passionate conviction".  -- Fulton Sheen

244.jpg

The story of St. Theodora HERE reminds us that even saints can make mistakes. They were not always perfect individuals and their choices weren’t always the best. However, what sets them apart was their desire to fulfill God’s will and overcome their weaknesses to live a life of virtue.

This does not mean that we need to run to the nearest monastery every time we sin, but we do need to run to God, asking him for forgiveness.