An Old School Catholic Message Board

Purgatory And Time

Ellenita

Does time exist as we know it in purgatory? Can we imagine people spending a period of time since their death say four years ago to the present? Or is a state of being outside of our understanding of time?

You have concerns that you might not? I think if we remain faithful to God then we will, otherwise where is the hope in our faith? I accept this might be 'left over' theology on my part though from all those years of OSAS belief!

crusader1234

I dont know. Right now I firmly believe that if you die with mortal sin you go to hell, but I'm sure as I get older I'll get more realistic and remember that God will probably make an exception thanks to a lifetime of service. Then again, I might leave the Church (God forbid) and then I'm really in for trouble. :wacko: :sweat:

RandomProddy

From what I gather, heaven and hell are outside of our current perception of space and time, but dunno about purgatory.

To be honest, I don't bother thinking about purgatory, I just hope to make heaven the straight narrow way :)

Thy Geekdom Come

It's outside of time. I read somewhere that when someone refers to so much time out of purgatory, it's refering to the days' worth of purgatory.

ThyWillBeDone

Yep. certainly no time in purgatory. As for how the whole time out of purgatory I am not sure how that all works.
Chris

[quote]No, there's no time in purgatory. Like heaven and hell, it's outside of time. [/quote]

That being the case, when do we know when to stop praying for someone in purgatory? It would be a waste to pray for someone 'in purgatory' if they are already in heaven wouldn't it?

[quote]To be honest, I don't bother thinking about purgatory, I just hope to make heaven the straight narrow way [/quote]

Don't we all, but it's a salutary lesson when you read that Jacinta and Fransisco, the two [i]children [/i]from Fatima who prayed their rosary every day and were faithful to God throughout their ordeal of imprisonment and being doubted by everyone, were told by Our Lady that they would 'only spend a little time' in purgatory....

cmotherofpirl

I don't think we should ever stop praying for souls in purgatory. If they have gone on to heaven God will apply the prayers somewhere else.
No prayer ever goes to waste.!

homeschoolmom

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' date='Jul 1 2004, 07:26 PM'] I don't think we should ever stop praying for souls in purgatory. If they have gone on to heaven God will apply the prayers somewhere else.
No prayer ever goes to waste.! [/quote]
That's what I was going to say! I'd say, "I've been hanging out here too much," but...

Actually, unless you can prove me wrong, I believe there IS time in purgatory, purgatory exists within God's created time.

why?

because TIME is needed for CHANGE. When you go into an eternal state you can no longer change. This is why no one can be kicked out of Heaven. This is why no one can leave Hell. These are eternal states. But purgatory is a place where one is being perfected, by God's mercy even though they didn't acheive perfection in their mortal life, in their TIME, God extends their TIME to change, and He changes them with His purifying fires.

We all have this mortal life full of time to change and decide whether or not we will accept God's grace. But God knows so many will fall short of the perfection He calls them to, so He gives an extension to those who put forth the right effort and accepted His grace on earth, died in a state of Grace, but still had temporal punishments to pay out.

Yep, I'm almost positive TIME is needed for CHANGE, and PURGATORY is all about bein PURIFIED-- bein changed.

pAx

Wait a minute ... if y'all are talking about how, for indulgenced prayers, it might say something like "300 days indulgence for each recitation" it's actually not referring to how much the person's time in purgatory is shortened. You see, a long time ago penances for sin in confession were much more rigorous and could go on for a really long time. As a result, the indulgence in terms of days refers not to the time taken out of one's sentence in purgatory but rather to the amount of time taken out of one's earthly penance. Yet despite the fact that penances have been a lot less serious for many years now, somehow the specifications of days regarding the indulgence stayed a while longer.

Mine is not an argument relating to those days, that's not what I'm implying.

However, my premise is simple: TIME is needed to CHANGE

your soul is purified in purgatory, it is changed to perfection, therefore it must still be outside of eternity when it's in purgatory

[quote]No prayer ever goes to waste[/quote]

CMom and HSMom, of course I believe that too! ;) :D

Interesting to think that prayer for someone specific who is no longer in purgatory can be applied to someone else even though we won't know who....

[quote]However, my premise is simple: TIME is needed to CHANGE

your soul is purified in purgatory, it is changed to perfection, therefore it must still be outside of eternity when it's in purgatory [/quote]

This seems like a very logical argument. :D