An Old School Catholic Message Board

Purgatory And Time

Ellenita

At the same time the object would move into light waves beyond the visible spectrum (meaning radio waves!). :) It's too bad no one could live long enough to see it all happen! :)

Just out of curiosity...

If there's no time in Heaven, does that mean that when we get there, we will always have been there? 'Cause if we aren't, then there is a [b]time[/b] when we will become there, so there must be [b]time[/b].

Of course, I'm here now...but I will be there sometime, and I'm not in two places at once (Padre Pio!). :)

Actually, I dunno how that would work. Would someone who thinks that Heaven and Purgatory are outside of time help me please? :)

Remember, I think that there's time in both places, just not one similar to what we live here. :)

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='qfnol31' date='Jul 3 2004, 04:13 AM'] At the same time the object would move into light waves beyond the visible spectrum (meaning radio waves!). :) It's too bad no one could live long enough to see it all happen! :)

Just out of curiosity...

If there's no time in Heaven, does that mean that when we get there, we will always have been there? 'Cause if we aren't, then there is a [b]time[/b] when we will become there, so there must be [b]time[/b].

Of course, I'm here now...but I will be there sometime, and I'm not in two places at once (Padre Pio!). :)

Actually, I dunno how that would work. Would someone who thinks that Heaven and Purgatory are outside of time help me please? :)

Remember, I think that there's time in both places, just not one similar to what we live here. :) [/quote]
[quote] At the same time the object would move into light waves beyond the visible spectrum (meaning radio waves!).  It's too bad no one could live long enough to see it all happen![/quote]

True, true. Infraradio waves, even. Gotta love that red shift...

[quote]If there's no time in Heaven, does that mean that when we get there, we will always have been there? 'Cause if we aren't, then there is a time when we will become there, so there must be time.[/quote]

Two words, let's see if you can translate: Mysterium Est.

[quote]Of course, I'm here now...but I will be there sometime, and I'm not in two places at once (Padre Pio!).[/quote]

Bilocation would be sweet.

[quote]does that mean that when we get there, we will always have been there?[/quote]
that's the very mystery that explains to me the mystery of predestination.

Edited by Aloysius

thinkin that everyone gets to heaven is pure carp... even if u are Catholic your whole life and the last 5 years you fall into mortal sin and stop caring then u will go 2 hell. If you die in a state of mortal sin then you go to hell. When you commit a mortal sin, you kill our soul and u basically excommunicate yourself from the Church. only through confession or a deep want for confession (if your dying) can your soul be revived. dont think to yourself that because you are Catholic but you commit mortal sins you will go to heaven. its just plain carp. We still need that fear of God and by saying to yourself that you are going away is taking that Fear of God away and it is not possible since that is a gift of the holy spirit.

and im spent

o and the way that relates to purgatory is that... if you go to purgatory, you are going to heaven for sure. You cant go to purgatory and go to Hell. Purgatory is a cleansing process before arriving in Heaven so if you have mortal sin then you wont make it to purgatory because you will go straight to hell.

we shouldnt be so worried about how long we are in purgatory but instead we should be glad we are there

blovedwolfofgod

It is written that a thousand years is as a day and a day is as a thousand years. Time doesnt matter in the grand scheme of eternity. Your in, and because it seems to be a point between heaven and creation, it would be reasonable to say that there is time. Time is a measure of change. In purgatory, you are changing more and more toward perfection. I suppose that this is in itself a form of time. God is timeless because he doesnt change. When we are perfect, do we change? Change to what? I believe that we can only be outside of time once perfection is granted to us by God. But in the end, time doesnt matter. Its purgatory. Your going to heaven eventually.

Furthermore, St. Paul said that he hoped to remain faithful so that he didnt lose his life in the end. This life was his everlasting life. He served God like he was crazy, because he was crazy for God. He said he could lose his life even after life of service. All it takes is a bit of sin at the end to mess it all up.

[quote name='lifeteener' date='Jul 3 2004, 02:23 PM'] we shouldnt be so worried about how long we are in purgatory but instead we should be glad we are there [/quote]
Agree with you 99.9%

Just want to clarify that going striaght to heaven should always be our goal, we shouldn't aim for purgatory. That seems a tad bit like doing just enough to avoid hell. For one thing, if we are holy enough to go to heaven, then we will live a more full life on earth and will also catch more souls. We should also aim as high as possible. Such is God's standard.

Anyways, based on these posts, I would imagine that there is time in purgatory. But it is completely different from that one earth... :ph34r:

[quote name='Aloysius' date='Jul 3 2004, 01:37 PM'] that's the very mystery that explains to me the mystery of predestination. [/quote]
See, I just have a hard time believing that when I get there, I'll have always been there. I can understand that I was always going to get there, but not that I've always been there.

Plus, what would happen then if I become a part of eternity (which is outside of time). Does that mean that I won't ever do anything once I'm in Heaven, but I'll sit there motionless doing nothing?

St. Thomas Aquinas says that Heaven will be the epitome of happiness for us because we will spend our time contemplating God. Sounds like fun to me! :)

yeah we'll contemplate God definitely. The way eternal time works in Heaven is a grand mystery, we can never understand it. Once we're in heaven the state of our soul cannot be changed, just like once we're in hell the state of our soul couldn't be changed. I donno, the mystery of the nature of Eternal Time in Heaven even though I don't fully understand it explains to me the mystery of predestination which I also don't fully understand. One mystery explains another, even if you don't quite understand either of em :cool:

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='qfnol31' date='Jul 3 2004, 04:22 PM'] LoL, the state of our soul can't change, but we can still move and think and stuff, right? :) [/quote]
Umm...I believe the state of the soul can change. For instance, our souls will be purified in purgatory.

We're talking about Heaven and Hell where the state of our soul can't change...Which is true. We won't sin in Heaven anymore (because of the Beatific Vision).

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='qfnol31' date='Jul 3 2004, 05:07 PM'] We're talking about Heaven and Hell where the state of our soul can't change...Which is true. We won't sin in Heaven anymore (because of the Beatific Vision). [/quote]
Okie Dokie.