An Old School Catholic Message Board

Is This Bad?

Craftygrl06

I heard someone exclaim, "Son of a carpenter!" once.

I used to have a problem with saying Mother****er alot, like when things fell on me or a banged my shin...

I exchanged it with Mother Mary...and have since wiped it from my vocabulary. (I have a neice now, and don't want her to pick up on such language.

[quote name='musturde' date='Sep 19 2004, 10:25 PM']For Ze rock fanz out there, "Jimmy Hendrix"[/quote]
:lol: :haha:

I think i might start using that!

• 3 weeks later...

Judas, LOL i really like taht one. my eng. teacher used that one last year, and if he were really mad, he'd say JUDAS PRIEST

I say Good Lord as well....but I don't think the way I'm using it is swearing...because....well hm...shoot I hope not. :o :unsure:

I'm not disrespecting Him in the way I say it...at least not purposefully.....bah I dont know

• 3 years later...

Wow, old thread.

I have an unfortunate habit of saying "Oh my God" when I am shocked, find something absolutely hilarious, or something appalling. I've heard conflicting opinions, and one day spoke to my pastor about it. He told me it was only using His name in vain if I used it with a curse word. Think of it as you will, but there doesn't seem to be a general consensus on the issue as far as I'm concerned. Wish there was, so this issue would be over and done with.

[quote name='hot stuff' post='1561960' date='Jun 7 2008, 01:32 AM']Oh I would agree with that[/quote]

Sarcasm, or genuine?

[quote name='Paladin D' post='1561967' date='Jun 7 2008, 12:33 AM']Sarcasm, or genuine?[/quote]

Sorry bud that was totally genuine. I don't think there is a definitive answer to the question. I've listened to the phrase "Good Lord" thrown about on Sirius's The Catholic Channel and on shows sponsored by the USCCB. So I could see both sides.

I am most definitely supporting your position on this

[quote name='picchick' post='1562032' date='Jun 7 2008, 01:05 AM']I always correct ppl.

OMG turns into OMGosh...:lol: sorry if it annoys people.[/quote]

You know I get that. and while it may not be my personal opinion, if you approach me and say "hey hot stuff, OMG kinda bugs me"

Out of respect I try not to do it again.

Really that's all that's needed. We don't know what bugs people. And the reasonable thing to do is just mention it and give them the chance to respect that.

Farsight one

I taught myself to speak gibberish when I get the urge to swear or curse. It certainly gets some interesting reactions sometimes.