An Old School Catholic Message Board

Is This Bad?

Craftygrl06

friendofJPII

[quote name='hot stuff' post='1563019' date='Jun 7 2008, 09:55 PM']you know I get that. The heaven hell thing is always the final consideration. But if someone is exclaiming good Lord or dear Lord as an exclamatory statement, how is this blasphemous? I would think tht good Lord or dear Lord are in a different category than using other words vainly. I guess I don't see good Lord as taking the Lord's name in vain or blasphemous. Is there less thought in the statement? sure. But is there less thought in offering a bless you when someone sneezes?

How is this a bad thing[/quote]

I think if someone says "Good Lord" or "Dear Lord" without making it a sincere prayer, then it's is wrong, if it is sincere, it is not sinful. Still, I would advise people to say something else unless they are in the company of other Christians who know that they are sincerely praying. There is always the conventional "wow" or "Oh no" which usually suffices.

"God Bless You" is a issuance of goodwill. It's similar to saying "Merry Christmas, imo." Does everyone who saysi it really think about it's meaning probably not, but they are still wishing good on the person, and all that is good comes from God :)

Edited by friendofJPII

rhetoricfemme

For a while, my nephew was going around saying, "ROFLcoptor!"

That was always fun to hear. I just go with, "Boy Howdy!"

lilac_angel

Heh, some of these are great.

I slammed my finger in a door yesterday. In the past, I would have taken the Lord's name in vain up a storm, but that time, I just screamed in a real high pitched voice and mentally offered it up in that moment of blinding pain. I was proud of myself afterward, but I had to be really careful, because I still felt the urge to curse or take the Lord's name in vain. It seems to be getting a little easier to avoid it lately, though. Seems a minor miracle, as it used to be a real habit in the past.

Edited by lilac_angel

[quote name='hot stuff' post='1563019' date='Jun 7 2008, 10:55 PM']you know I get that. The heaven hell thing is always the final consideration. But if someone is exclaiming good Lord or dear Lord as an exclamatory statement, how is this blasphemous? I would think tht good Lord or dear Lord are in a different category than using other words vainly. I guess I don't see good Lord as taking the Lord's name in vain or blasphemous. Is there less thought in the statement? sure. But is there less thought in offering a bless you when someone sneezes?

How is this a bad thing[/quote]

hot stuff, I think I understand where you are coming from. I think you make a good point about saying "God Bless you" when someone sneezes. It's almost second nature that when someone sneeze, one automatically says "God Bless you" without blinking almost. Which to not put full thought into saying "God Bless you" could be considered wrong practice as well.

The Catechism, I think, does a good job explaining how it is proper or improper to use God's name.

CCC 2143 Among all the words of Revelation, there is one which is unique: the revealed name of God. God confides his name to those who believe in him; he reveals himself to them in his personal mystery. The gift of a name belongs to the order of trust and intimacy. [b]"The Lord's name is holy." For this reason man must not abuse it. He must keep it in mind in silent, loving adoration. [i]He will not introduce it into his own speech except to bless, praise, and glorify it.[/i][/b]74

[b]2155 The holiness of the divine name demands that we neither use it for trivial matters[/b]

I think the phrases "God Lord" or "Oh My God" have become catch phrases or rather part of our ordinary daily language. I think this is where the reverence of God's name is lost. The CCC makes it clear that it should only be uttered to bless, praise, and glorify it. Can any of us honestly say that every time we say OMG or "Good Lord" that we are doing this in a blessing, praising, or glorifying manner? I think we've all been guilty of using the Lord's name in a trivial way, I'll be the first to admit that I have but I try very hard not to. I know I often slip when frustrated or angry at someone. I know that when I say the Lord's name when I'm in that type of mood that I'm not using it in it's proper way. So in other words I think it comes back to the fact that we aren't supposed to use the Lord's name in a trivial way. To me, according to the Catechism, would mean anything outside of blessing, praising, and glorifying it.

I find it interesting that the Catechism extends the sacredness of a name to include all the saints.

[i]CCC 2146 The second commandment forbids the abuse of God's name, i.e., every improper use of the names of God, Jesus Christ, but also of the Virgin Mary and all the saints. [/i]

Interesting enough as well, the 2nd Commandment according the CCC also addresses the sacred of everyone's name.

[quote name='StColette' post='1564632' date='Jun 9 2008, 12:56 PM']hot stuff, I think I understand where you are coming from. I think you make a good point about saying "God Bless you" when someone sneezes. It's almost second nature that when someone sneeze, one automatically says "God Bless you" without blinking almost. Which to not put full thought into saying "God Bless you" could be considered wrong practice as well.

The Catechism, I think, does a good job explaining how it is proper or improper to use God's name.

CCC 2143 Among all the words of Revelation, there is one which is unique: the revealed name of God. God confides his name to those who believe in him; he reveals himself to them in his personal mystery. The gift of a name belongs to the order of trust and intimacy. [b]"The Lord's name is holy." For this reason man must not abuse it. He must keep it in mind in silent, loving adoration. [i]He will not introduce it into his own speech except to bless, praise, and glorify it.[/i][/b]74

[b]2155 The holiness of the divine name demands that we neither use it for trivial matters[/b]

I think the phrases "God Lord" or "Oh My God" have become catch phrases or rather part of our ordinary daily language. I think this is where the reference of God's name is lost. The CCC makes it clear that it should only be uttered to bless, praise, and glorify it. Can any of us honestly say that when me say OMG or "Good Lord" that we are doing this in a blessing, praising, or glorifying manner? I think we've all been guilty of using the Lord's name in a trivial way, I'll be the first to admit that I have but I try very hard not to. I know I often slip when frustrated or angry at someone. I know that when I say the Lord's name when I'm in that type of mood that I'm not using it in it's proper way. So in other words I think it comes back to the fact that we aren't supposed to use the Lord's name in a trivial way. To me, according to the Catechism, would mean anything outside of blessing, praising, and glorifying it.

I find it interesting that the Catechism extends the sacredness of a name to include all the saints.

[i]CCC 2146 The second commandment forbids the abuse of God's name, i.e., every improper use of the names of God, Jesus Christ, but also of the Virgin Mary and all the saints. [/i]

Interesting enough as well, the 2nd Commandment according the CCC also addresses the sacred of everyone's name.[/quote]

Very good post. Thought-provoking...

Archaeology cat

[quote name='StColette' post='156262' date='Jun 7 2008, 07:08 PM']I think I've become even more sensitive to using the name of God after studying Biblical Hebrew. Our Prof. would not allow us to say Yahweh because the Jews would not even utter that name.[/quote]
Same here. I still usually say 'Adonai instead of pronouncing the name of God.

Edited by Archaeology cat

[size=1]I had a religion teacher in junior high who said "Oh my God!" all the time.

She said it was ok because she meant it as praise.
[/size]

Edited by CrossCuT

[quote name='StColette' post='1564632' date='Jun 9 2008, 11:56 AM']hot stuff, I think I understand where you are coming from. I think you make a good point about saying "God Bless you" when someone sneezes. It's almost second nature that when someone sneeze, one automatically says "God Bless you" without blinking almost. Which to not put full thought into saying "God Bless you" could be considered wrong practice as well.

I think the phrases "God Lord" or "Oh My God" have become catch phrases or rather part of our ordinary daily language. I think this is where the reverence of God's name is lost. The CCC makes it clear that it should only be uttered to bless, praise, and glorify it. Can any of us honestly say that every time we say OMG or "Good Lord" that we are doing this in a blessing, praising, or glorifying manner? I think we've all been guilty of using the Lord's name in a trivial way, I'll be the first to admit that I have but I try very hard not to. I know I often slip when frustrated or angry at someone. I know that when I say the Lord's name when I'm in that type of mood that I'm not using it in it's proper way. So in other words I think it comes back to the fact that we aren't supposed to use the Lord's name in a trivial way. To me, according to the Catechism, would mean anything outside of blessing, praising, and glorifying it.

Interesting enough as well, the 2nd Commandment according the CCC also addresses the sacred of everyone's name.[/quote]

true enough but stating good Lord or dear Lord does seem to be giving praise

[quote name='hot stuff' post='1564690' date='Jun 9 2008, 12:14 PM']true enough but stating good Lord or dear Lord does seem to be giving praise[/quote]

Yeah, it can be depending upon context. I mean if you say "Good Lord thank you for this day" or "Dear God thank you for my family" but I would not say that using those terms when either frustrated with someone, angry with someone, or mad at yourself cause you slammed your finger in the door ;) would be praising God.

I mean for instance if I was frustrated with Micah about putting dirty clothes on the floor or something and I went up to him and said "Dear L__D Micah why don't you just pick that stuff up" In that context the statement isn't being made toward the Lord it's being made toward Micah. Praising should be lifting up things to the Lord, like "Dear Lord, you are good and holy above all others". The example I gave would not be because the statement is toward Micah, not toward God. I mean my thoughts would be toward Micah making a mess, not praising the Lord.

Does that make sense?

[quote name='Paladin D' post='1564798' date='Jun 9 2008, 01:10 PM']Well it's official: I'm going to hell in a hand-made basket.[/quote]

No you're not, hon. Believe me, I know it's a hard habit to break. I don't think we do it on purpose, but that doesn't mean it isn't right. I think using those phrases has become almost second nature in our society and we frankly don't know any better, but we should. Best thing to do is start trying to break yourself of the habit. Wear a rubberband around your wrist and pop it each time you are using the Lord's name the way you shouldn't. This practice helped me break my habit of cussing. Another way to help with this habit is each time you do it you make a prayer of reparation for what you just did. A lot of what we do or say is not intentional but this doesn't mean we shouldn't make some type of reparation for it. If you say "Dear God" or "Good Lord" in a way that isn't in the form of a prayer etc. then turn it into one when you realize what you did.

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='StColette' post='1564713' date='Jun 9 2008, 12:23 PM']I mean my thoughts would be toward Micah making a mess, not praising the Lord.

Does that make sense?[/quote]
Yeah...wouldn't make much sense if you were praising God just before yelling at me for doing something stupid.

[quote name='Raphael' post='1564899' date='Jun 9 2008, 01:55 PM']Yeah...wouldn't make much sense if you were praising God just before yelling at me for doing something stupid.[/quote]

:unsure: I don't yell

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='StColette' post='1565132' date='Jun 9 2008, 05:18 PM']:unsure: I don't yell[/quote]
Uh huh.

:rolleyes:

jk :P

friendofJPII

I can relate, in high school, I used to have a mouth on me. Through prayer, conversion, confession, and hanging out with friends who don't swear, the habit has been squelched (well, almost, I occasionally say sh@t if I say, stub my toe walking to the bathroom in the middle of the night), but I don't think that's so bad, tho it is still something to work on.