An Old School Catholic Message Board

Is This Bad?

Craftygrl06

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='Paladin D' post='1561954' date='Jun 7 2008, 01:27 AM']Wow, old thread.

I have an unfortunate habit of saying "Oh my God" when I am shocked, find something absolutely hilarious, or something appalling. I've heard conflicting opinions, and one day spoke to my pastor about it. He told me it was only using His name in vain if I used it with a curse word. Think of it as you will, but there doesn't seem to be a general consensus on the issue as far as I'm concerned. Wish there was, so this issue would be over and done with.[/quote]
I agree with your priest. Calling something to God's attention is not a bad thing. We all know HE knows everything, but as humans we still feel the need to point things out :) Sort of a short version of "You whoooo", or btw.

friendofJPII

Hey guys, I don't think we should be joking about this. Taking the Lord's name in vain is a serious sin. And we shouldn't be calling anything holy except God. Saying "holy cow" is still blasphemy, because the word "Holy" is an attribute of God. And "Oh my goodness" is just another way of saying "Oh my God" because God is espouses all that is good.

Why can't we just say about how we feel about the situation? If something is sudden accident just happened, we could say, "That is so sad," or something like that. I don't see why we need to say "Oh my" anything, or anyone.

Edited by friendofJPII

friendofJPII

[quote name='hot stuff' post='1561977' date='Jun 6 2008, 11:38 PM']Sorry bud that was totally genuine. I don't think there is a definitive answer to the question. I've listened to the phrase "Good Lord" thrown about on Sirius's The Catholic Channel and on shows sponsored by the USCCB. So I could see both sides.
I am most definitely supporting your position on this[/quote]

Even if our use of the phrase is a genuine prayer, I think we should refrain from saying it because our culture uses God's name so casually. We might be causing scandal if others aren't aware of our intention. We must remember tht as orthodox Catholics we are considered rather weird to the general population and people are watching us closely.

The pressure, I know! :sweat:

Edited by friendofJPII

Not A Mallard

Oh my gosh! This thread is almost 4 years old! :shock:

Edited by Not A Mallard

[quote name='friendofJPII' post='1562180' date='Jun 7 2008, 09:25 AM']Hey guys, I don't think we should be joking about this. Taking the Lord's name in vain is a serious sin. And we shouldn't be calling anything holy except God. Saying "holy cow" is still blasphemy, because the word "Holy" is an attribute of God. And "Oh my goodness" is just another way of saying "Oh my God" because God is espouses all that is good.

Why can't we just say about how we feel about the situation? If something is sudden accident just happened, we could say, "That is so sad," or something like that. I don't see why we need to say "Oh my" anything, or anyone.[/quote]

Seriously? I think it's a scrupulosity issue. I say "Holy Moly" but it is not in praise of moles. lol

[quote name='notardillacid' post='1562575' date='Jun 7 2008, 03:18 PM']How funny would it be if someone went to hell cuz they said 'holy cow.'

haha[/quote]

:rotfl:

Autumn Dusk

[quote name='friendofJPII' post='1562180' date='Jun 7 2008, 10:25 AM']Hey guys, I don't think we should be joking about this. Taking the Lord's name in vain is a serious sin. And we shouldn't be calling anything holy except God. Saying "holy cow" is still blasphemy, because the word "Holy" is an attribute of God. And "Oh my goodness" is just another way of saying "Oh my God" because God is espouses all that is good.

Why can't we just say about how we feel about the situation? If something is sudden accident just happened, we could say, "That is so sad," or something like that. I don't see why we need to say "Oh my" anything, or anyone.[/quote]

Using God or Lord is not right, because its His name. But attributes? Are you kidding me?

What planet are you from? First off, talking and debating and joking, no matter what the topic isn't a serious sin. It can be a sin, but not a grave one.

Its human nature to do things a certain way and to express words that can blanket apply to many situations...frustration, anger, joy...becuase our mouths don't always operate with our brain...and words come out but the thought behind that speech is impared.

Do you think its any co-incidence that in almost every language parents are called an name containing the "ahh or aww" (depending how you read it) sound? A parent's name for the first year of a baby's life can express the need for food, clothing, hugs, bordem...etc. Our brains work the same way as we grow, utilizing sounds that are easiest for us to make in order to express ourselves.

In our culture we rely on these crutches too much, but for something to be a grave sin you have to have full intent of will, which, when shocked and responding to something, you don't.

Edited by Autumn Dusk

I have a problem with people using the phrase "oh my God" or "Good Lord" etc. My father raised me to be sensitive to how people use the name of the Lord. We weren't allowed to say such phrases in our household.

I believe that our society uses the name of God too lightly. It has almost become some type of catch phrase. Generally when someone says "oh my God" or "Good Lord" it is done out of excitement about something, frustration, or shock. As harmless as the uses may seem, I don't believe that they are proper use of the Lord's name.

The only time I see it fitting to say "Oh my God" or "Good Lord" is if you are in direct prayer with God or you are calling opinion His name for some prayerful reason.

I think I've become even more sensitive to using the name of God after studying Biblical Hebrew. Our Prof. would not allow us to say Yahweh because the Jews would not even utter that name.

CatherineM

Most of the time I say good grief. If I do say god something, I'm using the god with the lower case g, not the God with the big G.

[quote name='friendofJPII' post='1562182' date='Jun 7 2008, 09:30 AM']Even if our use of the phrase is a genuine prayer, I think we should refrain from saying it because our culture uses God's name so casually. We might be causing scandal if others aren't aware of our intention. We must remember tht as orthodox Catholics we are considered rather weird to the general population and people are watching us closely.

The pressure, I know! :sweat:[/quote]

I disagree. If it is used for a prayer then it is ok. I don't think I should refrain from my prayer just because our culture uses it so casually. Guess what? Our culture hates life, they hate (don't hate, appreciate) God and they hate (don't hate, appreciate) me...does that mean I have to hide the fact that I love life, love God and love myself? No. I do not use it as an expletive. But sometimes it is the only prayer that I can squeak out. "God help me!" This is my prayer.

:)
God Bless, Meg

friendofJPII

I never said using similar sounding alternatives to "Oh my God" was a serious sin, but in my prayerful opinion, I don't think it is a good idea. We need to be careful when we use spiritual language, heavenly, holy, hell, beaver dam, in casual conversation. No Hawaiian vacation could ever compare with heaven, and no day, no matter how bad it has been, could be compared to torments of hell. People don't take this stuff seriously, (even tho most of here do) and we need to be mindful of that. I teach in a public school and I always correct my students when they say "Oh my God..."I tell them not say that unless they are praying. I know I'm prob overstepping my bounds and could be fired but I consider it offensive speech. The children get it, tho, and instinctively know it is wrong, even if their family is not religious. It's not a matter of weather people will be sent to hell for saying "Holy Cow" but rather it is the concept that we should use every opportunity to model reverence for God's name and holy things. After all we are talking about the second commandment.

And I still don't understand why it is socially acceptable to use Jesus' name in vain or when angry, but we can't say "Merry Christmas" at Christmastime?

Edited by friendofJPII

you know I get that. The heaven hell thing is always the final consideration. But if someone is exclaiming good Lord or dear Lord as an exclamatory statement, how is this blasphemous? I would think tht good Lord or dear Lord are in a different category than using other words vainly. I guess I don't see good Lord as taking the Lord's name in vain or blasphemous. Is there less thought in the statement? sure. But is there less thought in offering a bless you when someone sneezes?

How is this a bad thing