homeschoolmom Posted December 2, 2004 Posted December 2, 2004 [quote name='popestpiusx' date='Dec 2 2004, 08:13 AM'] I still owe smom and hsmom a response. [/quote] yes, you do.
cmotherofpirl Posted December 2, 2004 Posted December 2, 2004 [quote name='popestpiusx' date='Dec 2 2004, 02:22 AM'] I was going to quickly address a few unfortunate historical errors in Amarkich's post, but I guess there is no point now. [/quote] Sure there is.
Sojourner Posted December 2, 2004 Posted December 2, 2004 [quote name='amarkich' date='Dec 1 2004, 03:09 PM'] Sojourner, that is quite a predicament, but it is not as if I have devised some system into which you must fit. I am simply explicating, as well as I may, what the consensus of all humans was before Modernism (in which I include Feminism, the French and American Revolutions, Secularism, and other modern errors). Further, I also am simply giving the practice of Catholic societies. No Catholic society ever talked about civil rights. No Catholic society ever said women should be allowed to work in the workplace. No Catholic society ever said women should be able to vote, to have equal pay, or to have equal opportunity. Further, to answer your question, in my opinion (and that of Catholic culture, even into the 50s and 60s in America), a person in that situation should be living at home. I do not necessarily even make an exception for males in this regard. I think the family is an important aspect of life and that men and women should live in their families until they are married and have their own families or until they enter priestly or religious life. I suppose, then, that you would fit [i]per se [/i]into the system by living at home. That is my opinion, or, rather, it is the opinion of Catholic culture throughout history (up to and including America even until the feminist movement). [/quote] Amarkich, My father could not afford to support me if I lived at home and did not work a job that pays. Also, if I lived at home, I would not be able to do the type of work that I do. In addition, my parents are not Catholic, so the likelihood of my being able to convert if I were at home would have been nil. And my parents are not likely to be fans of my marrying someone who's Catholic. They definitely weren't fans of my conversion. As to your comments about Catholic society and human rights, I suggest you do a bit of research. [url="http://www.catholicculture.org/docs/doc_view.cfm?recnum=2876"]Here is an article on the topic of human rights[/url]; [url="http://www.eppc.org/publications/pubID.2107/pub_detail.asp"]Here is another paper by George Weigel on the topic[/url]. I actually heard George Weigel speak on this topic recently. To highlight a couple of sentences from the latter article (emphasis mine): [quote]Right thinking about society does not begin, in other words, with the state, the party, the tribe, the ethnic group, [b]or the gender group[/b]. It begins with the individual human person. Society and its legal expression, the state, must always be understood to be in service to the integral development of the human person. The state, in particular, has an obligation to defend the basic human rights of persons, which are "built into" us by reason of our very humanity. [/quote]
popestpiusx Posted December 2, 2004 Posted December 2, 2004 OK here goes: I believe all women should be silent, barefoot, and pregnant all the time (except during the time after birth where conception is impossible). No vote. No work, save that work whereby I am served, and my house is kept. There. Real answer to follow when I get back home this afternoon....
Gal. 5:22,23 Posted December 2, 2004 Posted December 2, 2004 Ah hem. I found this: Women of Grace" - a response Johnette Benkovic, of EWTN's The Abundant Life, has responded to this situation by launching Women of Grace as a comprehensive plan for Catholic women that will offer study groups, videos, conferences and an Internet forum. "We realized that our women viewers were hungry for an authentic Catholic life informed by the Scripture and the teachings of the Church", said Mrs. Benkovic. "Many of us have not really learned anything about our faith since we left school -- that is, if we went to a Catholic school. The time is ripe to help inform Catholic women about the immense riches of our faith", she said. Thus, Mrs. Benkovic has commissioned the first in a series of six curricula designed to integrate Scripture and Pope John Paul II's Mulieris Dignitatem, on the Dignity and Vocation of Women. The first in the series, "Women of Grace", is based on her own book of that title. The study program will employ both the book and a workbook designed to elicit personal responses from participants. "Our purpose is to affirm women in their dignity as daughters of God", said Mrs. Benkovic. The study groups would not only develop increased understanding of Catholic teaching, but also form a bond among women seeking to live heroic, Catholic lives. The women will be encouraged to rediscover the special grace of their womanhood and the specific mission God has entrusted to women. The Women of Grace program is meant to assist women in understanding their feminine vocation in its theological, social and cultural dimensions. The Women of Grace format is designed to be "user-friendly". The program will include a teaching video featuring Mrs. Benkovic that the hostess or parish director pops into a VCR. Afterward there is time for discussion. Participants also follow lessons each day of the week in a special workbook, returning on "group day" to share their insights. Use of approved materials, videos and resources promises women that what they are learning is from the heart of the Church. Women of Grace programs may supply an answer for busy pastors looking for a reliable and effective parish study program for women. The tape-discussion-notebook format makes it easy to conduct meetings, whether in parish facilities for large groups or in a home for a smaller gathering. In addition to the study groups, regional "Women of Grace" conferences are planned. The inaugural conference will be held in Doylestown, Pennsylvania on October 3, 2003, at the National Shrine of Our Lady of Czestochowa. Participants may join a model study group, meet others, and review Women of Grace materials, as well as hear interesting women speakers. Catholic women in democratic countries are uniquely placed to transform their cultures. Taking full advantage of programs such as Women of Grace is one means of preparing to re-evangelize our world and build the Kingdom of God. For more information please see www.womenofgrace.com or call 800-558-5452.
Thy Geekdom Come Posted December 2, 2004 Posted December 2, 2004 [quote name='popestpiusx' date='Dec 2 2004, 10:47 AM'] OK here goes: I believe all women should be silent, barefoot, and pregnant all the time (except during the time after birth where conception is impossible). No vote. No work, save that work whereby I am served, and my house is kept. There. Real answer to follow when I get back home this afternoon.... [/quote] HSmom is gonna slap you...
azaelia Posted December 2, 2004 Posted December 2, 2004 [quote name='popestpiusx' date='Dec 2 2004, 10:47 AM'] I believe all women should be silent, barefoot, and pregnant all the time (except during the time after birth where conception is impossible). No vote. No work, save that work whereby I am served, and my house is kept. [/quote] I have friends you would like
CreepyCrawler Posted December 2, 2004 Posted December 2, 2004 [quote name='Balthazor' date='Nov 28 2004, 04:21 PM'] Guys don't have to deal with even half the carp we do. They don't get periods, they don't get pregnant, they get paid more, they are almost always stronger, they don't have menapause, they get to be priests. And for a while the daft evened things out...girls didn't get drafted. But now I am almost sure that if there ever was a draft we would be included. I don't get it. Women are in general more spiritual than men and tend to have a stronger belief in God. And yet he throws all this carp on us. It ain't equal....it never will be, I don't even feel like I have the same human dignity as a guy. [/quote] i think it would be hard to be a good catholic guy today. i'm glad i'm a girl. if a girl chooses to not have sex before marriage, she's viewed as a prude and not normal. if a guy chooses not to have sex before marriage he's viewed as possibly gay and could get beat up. if a girl is sensitive, that's normal. if a boy is sensitive, he's gay. even though boys can be priests, women can be mothers. even though girls have periods, men have to deal with sexual images all around (i would rather be uncomfortable and cranky than have such temptations all around me 24-7). men may be physically stronger, but girls can tolerate pain better AND WE'RE PRETTIER! i don't know.... there seem to be pros and cons to both. but God loves us both and made us who we are to glorify Him. don't listen to people who don't respect your femininity -- embrace and enjoy it.
Azriel Posted December 2, 2004 Posted December 2, 2004 [hijack] for you Balthazor: Phenomenal Woman - Maya Angelou Pretty women wonder where my secret lies. I'm not cute or built to suit a fashion model's size But when I start to tell them, They think I'm telling lies. I say, It's in the reach of my arms The span of my hips, The stride of my step, The curl of my lips. I'm a woman Phenomenally. Phenomenal woman, That's me. I walk into a room Just as cool as you please, And to a man, The fellows stand or Fall down on their knees. Then they swarm around me, A hive of honey bees. I say, It's the fire in my eyes, And the flash of my teeth, The swing in my waist, And the joy in my feet. I'm a woman Phenomenally. Phenomenal woman, That's me. Men themselves have wondered What they see in me. They try so much But they can't touch My inner mystery. When I try to show them They say they still can't see. I say, It's in the arch of my back, The sun of my smile, The ride of my breasts, The grace of my style. I'm a woman Phenomenally. Phenomenal woman, That's me. Now you understand Just why my head's not bowed. I don't shout or jump about Or have to talk real loud. When you see me passing It ought to make you proud. I say, It's in the click of my heels, The bend of my hair, the palm of my hand, The need of my care, 'Cause I'm a woman Phenomenally. Phenomenal woman, That's me. [/hijack]
mark3200 Posted December 2, 2004 Posted December 2, 2004 [quote name='StColette' date='Nov 28 2004, 05:16 PM'] And think about when Christ rose from the dead He appeared first to women [/quote] That's a great point. Probably because all the men were either scared or sleeping in. Personally, I don't think women should settle for merely being equal. How wonderful women are! I mean, really. If it weren't for my wife, I would be in pretty bad shape. I've been thinking about the whole, "women don't get to be priests" thing. I look up from my desk and see a picture of Mother Theresa I got in Jenkins, KY (only rural Missionaries of Charity house in the world). Somehow, when I think about her (or any of the other MCs), I think of how truly awesome Nuns (or any female religious) can be. Anyone who has spent time with any of the MCs wouldn't consider their roles as "weaker" or less important than that of priests. The same can probably be said of any order that's truly committed to living fully for God. It's tough to reply to this without sounding sexist. The challenge is to NOT buy in to the world's carp about women being less than men somehow.
Thy Geekdom Come Posted December 2, 2004 Posted December 2, 2004 [quote name='CreepyCrawler' date='Dec 2 2004, 03:59 PM'] i think it would be hard to be a good catholic guy today. i'm glad i'm a girl. if a girl chooses to not have sex before marriage, she's viewed as a prude and not normal. if a guy chooses not to have sex before marriage he's viewed as possibly gay and could get beat up. if a girl is sensitive, that's normal. if a boy is sensitive, he's gay. even though boys can be priests, women can be mothers. even though girls have periods, men have to deal with sexual images all around (i would rather be uncomfortable and cranky than have such temptations all around me 24-7). men may be physically stronger, but girls can tolerate pain better AND WE'RE PRETTIER! i don't know.... there seem to be pros and cons to both. but God loves us both and made us who we are to glorify Him. don't listen to people who don't respect your femininity -- embrace and enjoy it. [/quote] I would say that it is hard to be both and that it depends on the context. Girls can choose to have sex before marriage, and if they don't, they are either viewed as prudes or as virtuous ladies. Guys can choose to have sex before marriage, and if they don't, they are either gay or they are noble young men. If a girl is sensative, she is seen as damaged goods or as sweet. If a guy is sensative, he is seen as gay or as "probably would be an affectionate husband." Boys can be priests, but also fathers. Women can be mothers, but also nuns. Girls have to deal with periods, but men have to deal with wet dreams (probably not as messy and doesn't ruin cloth, but more frequent). Men have to deal with sexual images, women have to deal with envy. Men are physically stronger, but women can tolerate labor pains (this one means a lot to me, as I have extremely sensative nerves and the slightest touch can either make me very jumpy or very relaxed). I think that both genders have something great to be proud of. One reflects Christ and the other reflects the Bride of Christ. Either way, it's great to be modeled after those.
Thy Geekdom Come Posted December 2, 2004 Posted December 2, 2004 [quote name='mark3200' date='Dec 2 2004, 04:16 PM'] That's a great point. Probably because all the men were either scared or sleeping in. [/quote] Sleeping in...it was a Sunday...the Apostles served Vigil Mass...
reelguy227 Posted December 2, 2004 Posted December 2, 2004 I agree with paladin ,all the way !!! How do you think guys feel when ,although pregnancy is all peachy keen ,women bring all the new lives into the world and grow them inside their body and form a special bond with them when they bear them into the world ,other than impregnating women ,guys dont really do much of anything ,and thats what guys should be mad about . God Bless, Ricky
Paladin D Posted December 2, 2004 Posted December 2, 2004 [quote name='reelguy227' date='Dec 2 2004, 07:31 PM'] I agree with paladin ,all the way !!! How do you think guys feel when ,although pregnancy is all peachy keen ,women bring all the new lives into the world and grow them inside their body and form a special bond with them when they bear them into the world ,other than impregnating women ,guys dont really do much of anything ,and thats what guys should be mad about . God Bless, Ricky [/quote] It's not ok for us guys to complain, but it's A-OK for feminists to complain and get to do the same thing guys want to do. For example: people supporting a woman priesthood.
reelguy227 Posted December 2, 2004 Posted December 2, 2004 [quote name='Raphael' date='Dec 2 2004, 03:30 PM'] Girls have to deal with periods, but men have to deal with wet dreams (probably not as messy and doesn't ruin cloth, but more frequent). [/quote] Good point ,lol !!!
Spiritual_Arsonist Posted December 3, 2004 Posted December 3, 2004 [quote name='Paladin D' date='Dec 2 2004, 05:26 PM'] Actually, sometimes I think God hates men. [/quote] Finally, someone had the testicular fortitude to say it.
reelguy227 Posted December 3, 2004 Posted December 3, 2004 Testicular fortitude ,what a funny phrase .rofl rofl ,lol ,lol . ha ha .I agree with spiritual arsonist . God Bless, Ricky
Balthazor Posted December 3, 2004 Author Posted December 3, 2004 You know what you GUYs forgot....God made you first.... You are just the prototype. Us girls are the real deal, we are the new improved updated version.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now