An Old School Catholic Message Board

Psychic Encounter

Faithful heart

Faithful heart

My mother asked me to go to a psychic with her, I declined knowing that being Catholic and phychics don't mix. I am unclear on a few things. Does the Church believe these people have this ability, or does she not believe in any of it at all. I used to watsh Sylivia Brown on T.V., she is a psychic that can tell people all kinds of amazing things. She also claimes her gift is from God. Also a lot of people in my family believe spirits of our dead loved ones can come around us and do things to let us know they are there. For example my grandfather died, and before he did he said he was going to build a big brick house in Heaven for all of us to live in. My Aunt (his daughter) was gardening and found a brick just laying there and she said she had no bricks laying around. Does anyone know what the Church thinks of this. Sometimes these psychics amaze me, but I don't want to go against any of my Catholic beliefs or most importantly God's teaching.

Some people do have a God-given ability to foretell the future, but if it really comes from God, they won't advertise it, unlike Sylvia Browne (who also claims to be a Catholic). Besides, with psychics who advertise, they're either charlatans, or their ability to see the future comes from demons.

And as for having contact with the dead, anyone who claims they can communicate with them are either liars or are communicating with demons. Satan is the father of lies, and he can make demons appear as loved ones.

Does the Church believe these people have this ability, or does she not believe in any of it at all. 
Though some of it IS phony, the Church inDouche understand the power of satan, and knows that these CAN be real... And real bad for the soul.

I used to watsh Sylivia Brown on T.V., she is a psychic that can tell people all kinds of amazing things.  She also claimes her gift is from God. 

Well, too bad it isn't from God. Either she is decieved, or she is decieving. God doesn't tell you that your gunna fall in love on the first friday of March to a blond Leo, or something. Phsychic's do not serve God, and there are a number of tell tail signs.

Also  a lot of people in my family believe spirits of our dead loved ones can come around us and do things to let us know they are there. For example my grandfather died, and before he did he said he was going to build a big brick house in Heaven for all of us to live in.  My Aunt (his daughter)  was gardening and found a brick just laying there and she said she had no bricks laying around.  Does anyone know what the Church thinks of this. 
This has nothing to do with "phsycic" ability. Spirit's are around us! Our guardian angels are around us 24/7. There is a huge teaching on the state of human souls after death. The sad thing is, if the soul is "around you" and doing things to let you know they are "there", then odds are, you better get on your knees and pray for them. They might be asking for your prayers to get into heaven. On ocasion, it has been known that Saints (those that have reached eternal bliss) are granted the ability to appear to us on earth. But that is much different than a tormented soul from Purgatory requesting your prayers. Souls in hell are also, on occasion, granted permission to come to earth (check out "reality of hell" on the internet). And of course, satan and his buddies in hell can appear as anything they want. So don't be fooled into believing that your grandfather is "okay", or something. It's all about trickery to satan. Test all things. Make sure they are of God. And in order to know if they are "of God" you must know God.

Sometimes these psychics amaze me, but I don't want to go against any of my Catholic beliefs or most importantly God's teaching.

Yeah, it is pretty amazing, if you want to call Satan and his abilities amazing. No joke, they are pretty amaizing (in a bad sort of way). He has a lot of power! But it is NOTHING compared to the Power of God. The things Satan tampers with, and the "knowledge" that he gives to his "psychos", are things that we are NOT to touch.

Remember the Tree of the knowledge of Good and Evil? Certain things we are just meant NOT to know. We may not understand why. But Father knows best.

Don John of Austria

yeah I am pretty much with Jake on this one but I am not sure about any non-saintly spirits coming back from hell or purgation, I would default to the demon rather than any spirit of the dead.

Some people do have a God-given ability to foretell the future, but if it really comes from God, they won't advertise it, unlike Sylvia Browne (who also claims to be a Catholic).  Besides, with psychics who advertise, they're either charlatans, or their ability to see the future comes from demons. 

And as for having contact with the dead, anyone who claims they can communicate with them are either liars or are communicating with demons.  Satan is the father of lies, and he can make demons appear as loved ones.

Actually, Dave, Sylvia was raised Catholic, but has actually "founded" a Gnostic religion.

Just a point of clarification. On the other hand, John Edward does claim to be Catholic.

Back to your regularly scheduled thread.

yeah I am pretty much with Jake on this one but I am not sure about any non-saintly spirits coming back  from hell or purgation, I would default to the demon rather than any spirit of the dead.

http://olrl.org/doctrine/came_back.html

Don,

This is where I got that info from. It's a pretty cool read anyway.

Also, Dominic Berardino (president of the Southern Cal. Renewal Conf.). He was a psychic, and has an amesome testimony!

What about the guy from 'Crossing Over'? On the Carson Daily Late Night Show he publicly supported the power of the rosary and said that he says the entire rosary everyday and is raising his new son Catholic. Despite his talking to dead people, he seemed almost spiritually sound on tv. I'm kinda unsure if I believe that people are given psychic powers mostly because in the Parable of Lazarus and the Rich Man, it is emphasized that between 'here and there' exists no connection, and that's from the mouth of Jesus. The 'Crossing Over' guy always talks to dead people who are warning their family members from the other side which is completely un-Biblical. But if people are given a some kind of psychic grace/power, when is it appropriate to use it?

What about the guy from 'Crossing Over'? On the Carson Daily Late Night Show he publicly supported the power of the rosary and said that he says the entire rosary everyday and is raising his new son Catholic. Despite his talking to dead people, he seemed almost spiritually sound on tv. I'm kinda unsure if I believe that people are given psychic powers mostly because in the Parable of Lazarus and the Rich Man, it is emphasized that between 'here and there' exists no connection, and that's from the mouth of Jesus. The 'Crossing Over' guy always talks to dead people who are warning their family members from the other side which is completely un-Biblical. But if people are given a some kind of psychic grace/power, when is it appropriate to use it?

The "Crossing Over" guy is John Edward, who I referenced up there.

He does seem to be quite spiritually sound.

I don't know what to think sometimes. It doesn't seem as if he is "asking" the dead for things. It seems that from his prospective they are telling him things, which he then shares with the family.

Of course the message are usually things like...I love you, I'm fine, don't worry.

nowadays, i don't trust anything on tv....... <_<

Me neither. LOL

But, I got the Catholic thing from his book. :)

Before someone jumps on me, I'm not saying I believe the guy, just reporting what has been said about him, and what he has said.

Faithful heart

Thanks for the replies, I will concider things from psychics things that I don't need to know. As for my Grandfather, I have been praying for him everyday since he got sick. There have been no more weird stories from my family so maybe know he is at peace. I will keep on praying. Thanks again for all the insight.

cmotherofpirl

I am quite sure psychic power is real, and like anything else, can be used for good or evil.

I always liked that line from Hamlet:" there are more things in heaven and earth Horatio, than are dreamed of in your philosphy."

With God all things are possible. Being Irish, I see no reason why if God wants, we could be visited by the other side. "For now we see thru a glass darkly" THats why discernment is always necessary.

Our Catholic paper had an article on Edwards awhile back where he talked about the power of the rosary in his life.

Sylvia Brown feels shes moved beyond the Church, into a "new" existance. But she has done a lot of work with the police on finding people.