An Old School Catholic Message Board

Lifeteen Mass

Janana8706

cmotherofpirl

The word has gone out for them to correct their liturgical abuses.

I think the point now is that

a. they never should have invented them in the first place.
b. why do teens need special Masses and popular music in the first place?
c. when the emotional high is gone, will they still be regular Catholics, or seek out
the entertainment they are used to?
d. how will they relate to regular parishes where the sermon/homily and music are not to their taste?

Edited by cmotherofpirl

1) Very good The Lord's giving me a billion signs. :)
2) Good, except my quiet prayer sessions have been slipping a bit. :(
3) *gulp*...well, I'm *learning* about St. Josemaria Escriva a little :leave:

goldenchild17

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' date='Feb 3 2005, 03:59 PM'] Cardinal Ratzinger is the man. :)

I'm glad you like your bosses at Lifeteen.
It has no bearing on any of the points brought up by Pope, Toledeo or anyone else about liturgical abuse. :) or the novel idea that teens can't find God without being made to feel special. [/quote]
There are no abuses advocated and or condoned by the program. So if this is the problem people have with it, then it's time to admit that this is not the problem. Because they are not a part of the program.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, the Church again has gone through many abuses, with many Popes and such. Does this mean that the Papacy should be done away with?

I didn't think so.

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' date='Feb 3 2005, 04:34 PM']
[/quote]
yes because praise and worship music is so popular ;)

i think you all what your own mass...so thats why you are all down on the teens

Edited by aloha918

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='aloha918' date='Feb 3 2005, 06:43 PM'] yes because praise and worship music is so popular ;)

i think you all what your own mass...so thats why you are all down on the teens [/quote]
Ragtime and Country music are popular as well, but they don't show up at Mass. :)

I am not down on teens, in fact I have an emo-punk band that lives in my attic. :D
There is a time and place for everything, and the secular and sacred are not interchangeable.

:rolling:

its fine if you don't like the music played at lifeteen....i can see where some wouldn't like it........ but here is a fact

the music that is played is contemporary worship music

it is worshiping God.....how is that secular?

worshiping God sounds pretty sarcred to me.... Edited by aloha918

Golden, you seem to be focusing on the wrong idea. No one is questioning whether the program currently advocates abuses. What the issue is, is why were there abuses?

Look, the analogy of the papacy is perfect. Yeah, we had bad popes. But did the church say "Hey, we corrected the problem, let's forget about it and move on."

No. The Church(that is the people) realized it's mistakes [b]and sought out the root of it's mistakes[/b]. The Church *always* seeks aout the roots of its mistakes.

So should LifeTeen. So, what was the root of LT liturgical abuses?

Aloha, please re-read the posts.

You will find that the people that "dislike" LT are actually the ones who want it to succeed.

Plainly, the one's you refer to want to see LifeTeen go somewhere...they want to see it go everywhere and minister to teens and bring the Faith all over.

So i'm sure we are dealing with it, heck we are even advocating it's ideas of teen ministry. ;)

I don't think tha tis the case....I think some of the poeple who hate Life Teen would rather see it fall of the face of the planet.

[quote name='Oik' date='Feb 3 2005, 05:07 PM'] Aloha, please re-read the posts.

You will find that the people that "dislike" LT are actually the ones who want it to succeed.

Plainly, the one's you refer to want to see LifeTeen go somewhere...they want to see it go everywhere and minister to teens and bring the Faith all over.

So i'm sure we are dealing with it, heck we are even advocating it's ideas of teen ministry. ;) [/quote]
sorry i should have quoted i was replying to motherofpirl..........

but i have to agree with scofizzle

I have a priest at my parish that refused to say a lifeteen mass.......a priest.....refused to say a legitimate mass for the faithful........(what is going on?)

I think it needs to be remembered that LifeTeen is a beginning, not an end. Even it's founder said so. :)

In the end we are called to much, much deeper. I personally liked some of the ideas at first. And then I went to a "Traditional Mass" or many. :) (By Traditional I mean Novus Ordo.) One set up the way the rubrics ask, with the music asked for.

By the way, did you know most priests at St. Peter's face the other way?

Edited by Q the Ninja

[quote name='Scofizzle' date='Feb 3 2005, 04:10 PM'] I don't think tha tis the case....I think some of the poeple who hate Life Teen would rather see it fall of the face of the planet. [/quote]
Yep, I sure would.

There are other ways of reaching out to teens without turning the mass into some sort of circus show. Some of the things that go on in a life teen mass are exactly the same sort of stuff that goes on in four square, holy rollers and a myriad of other Protestant churches. Is that what the Catholic youth is after? Why don't we all just sit in a big circle and sing kumbaya songs the whole time. Were kinda in a time warp back to the 70's anyway. I suppose the priests even sound a bit like some of the preachers on the TBN network. Can we all get a halleluiah now, amen brother.

randy_the_clown

So, what you are suggesting is that we should only do the liturgy that you like?

Is there a general consensus that we should STOP doing LT masses because teens MIGHT fall away after high school?

Should have told Christ to pack it in because only one of the apostles would be at the Crucifixion.

randy_the_clown

[quote]a. they never should have invented them in the first place.
c. when the emotional high is gone, will they still be regular Catholics, or seek out
the entertainment they are used to?
d. how will they relate to regular parishes where the sermon/homily and music are not to their taste?
[/quote]

Thank you, Mother, for adding something different:

a: That is how the Church grows. All liturgy, save the words of consecration were "invented" at some point by someone.
b. Why do the Spanish need Spanish Masses and music in Spanish? I went to a mass in St. Lucia on my honeymoon (which ruled, thank you very much) and the mass was an hour and a half long and had music that was native to the culture. It was great. Why did they need that?
c. That largely depends on the catechesis that they receive, which as I mentioned earlier is up to the pastor of the parish and the youth minister. I think that there are a certain percentage that fall away because the seed hasn't grown yet, however there are also a percentage that realize what transubstantiation is and any liturgy will do.
d. Is Christ present? Again, this is up to the catechesis. I would ask you this, how would people like MP react? I think we have seen his/her answer. If you ask me, it is those in this thread who have been exposed to LIFE TEEN that can see Christ in any rite in the Catholic Church and appreciate the rite for what it is. It is those who are closed into their own box that refuse to accept other rites.