An Old School Catholic Message Board

vasectomy

Philippe

If a man were to get a vasectomy and he is married, would that mean that everytime he has sex he is commiting a mortal sin after the operation or is only the operation mortaly sinful?

crusader1234

Sex within Marriage is all about being open to life, correct? If the sex you're having cannot result in life, it is sinful I believe. If a man decides he's done with the possibility of impregnating a woman, he's done with sex. I'm not too sure about vasectomies, but I think they might be reversable... but until there is the possibility of life, I think that under 'natural law' or whatever the sex would be mortally sinful.

theculturewarrior

My understanding is that the sin is having the surgery, and once he confesses it to a priest, it's forgiven, end of story. Of course, the priest might tell him he needs to have the surgery reversed, and if not, his conscience might tell him that. But I'd be willing to guess that many insurance companies that cover the procedure don't cover it's reversal. Just a guess. Thank God He's Merciful!

[quote] If a man decides he's done with the possibility of impregnating a woman, he's done with sex. [/quote]

This is one of those times that it pays to be careful in wording. A couple can be past the age of childbearing (menopause) but still be sexually active. Or if either is in need of a medical procedure (i.e. hysterectomy) the couple can still be sexually active and not sinning.

Sex is procreative and unitive within marriage.

[quote name='Melchisedec' date='Mar 30 2005, 10:38 AM'] Say goodbye to sex. Or be damned forever. [/quote]
Wrong

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='Melchisedec' date='Mar 30 2005, 12:38 PM'] Say goodbye to sex. Or be damned forever. [/quote]
NOPE :)

homeschoolmom

[quote name='Melchisedec' date='Mar 30 2005, 10:38 AM'] Say goodbye to sex. Or be damned forever. [/quote]
:blink:

:nono:

crusader1234

A man can be penitent, but if he has closed himself up to the possibility of life, I don't think he should be able to just say he's sorry and go on with sex and everything is fine. Especially if it is reversable - for example I'm pretty sure that if you put on a condom, confessed, and then never took it off (sorry for this disgusting analogy)... it would still be sinful. So my opinion that is unless he gets it reversed he should obstain from sex.

[quote]So my opinion that is unless he gets it reversed he should obstain from sex.[/quote]

Actually Crusader even if he abstains, he's still committing a sin. One of the vows in a Catholic ceremony is a promise to bring children into the world. If a man were to get a vasectomy prior to marriage and makes it known to the priest, it is entirely possible he would not be allowed to marry in the Church.

crusader1234

I entirely agree, getting a vasectomy is a sin. However, after confession the sin, having sex would be sinning as well. I think the question meant 'If a married man gets a vasectomy, can he still have sex or is it sinful to have sex' and I took it at that value. I think Phillipe knows that vasectomies are sinful.