An Old School Catholic Message Board

Morality in taste of music..

Monoxide

I will admit it, I love music. I love basking in the glorious power and might of the screaming chords of the Russian Red Army Choir, or its Ukrainian equivelant. The words flow over me like a brook.

My question is, one of my more enjoyable bands, namely Judas Priest, is well known for its singer, Rob Helford, being a homosexual, and promiscuous at that. Some of their works are beautiful, and I cannot help but be entranced by the melodic melodies that he can spew. I do not even listen to the lyrics. Samples of horrible sounding songs that are bloody awesome 'The Rage', 'Burn in Hell', 'Breaking the Law' and so much more. My argument is that every man has a God given gift, and this man, even though he is a homosexual, is infact a human, and his gift was his voice, should we not be able to appreciate it?

Anyone have any bad news on rammstein? They are not homosexuals or rapists, I believe many of the band are married as well.

Either way the music only influences my hair, not my mind or my soul. Any input would be appreciated.

Are you serious?

If you're a Catholic, the name alone should be a red flag: [b]Judas[/b] Priest.

'Cause the man ended up an anti-priest, as it were.

I know what you're talking about: I've heard their stuff, down to the voice octaves and double bass drums.

It doesn't matter if Rob Hallford has an incredible voice, it's what he does with it.

Maybe you should write your own songs, and you will see that to be able to write enchanting melodies is not rocket science, and as often as anything, it is bestowed upon the writer who isn't quite sure how the good songs come about.

In the Old Testament, is written about the distinguishing beauty and "pipes" (voice) of Lucifer. So the talent in itself is not equivalent to godliness.

God Conquers

Music disarms the intellect, so although you SAY you don't listen to the words and aren't influenced by them, this is untrue.

Music is an incredibly important element in liturgy because it goes beyond our tendencies to analyze and assimilate, it allows us to be intimitely connected to others and to the DIvine.

Howeever, on the flip side of this, music with a bad message slips under our "wait a minute" receptors. If we read something awful, we have time to look and comprehend, to evaluate and intellectually fiddler. Music allows us no such oppportunity and it flies right past "the gateway to the soul".

I would be very wary of the music you listen to.

Melchisedec

[quote name='Monoxide' date='Apr 5 2005, 01:50 AM'] I will admit it, I love music. I love basking in the glorious power and might of the screaming chords of the Russian Red Army Choir, or its Ukrainian equivelant. The words flow over me like a brook.

My question is, one of my more enjoyable bands, namely Judas Priest, is well known for its singer, Rob Helford, being a homosexual, and promiscuous at that. Some of their works are beautiful, and I cannot help but be entranced by the melodic melodies that he can spew. I do not even listen to the lyrics. Samples of horrible sounding songs that are bloody awesome 'The Rage', 'Burn in Hell', 'Breaking the Law' and so much more. My argument is that every man has a God given gift, and this man, even though he is a homosexual, is infact a human, and his gift was his voice, should we not be able to appreciate it?

Anyone have any bad news on rammstein? They are not homosexuals or rapists, I believe many of the band are married as well.

Either way the music only influences my hair, not my mind or my soul. Any input would be appreciated. [/quote]
Judas Priest, great band. My favorite would have to be 'painkiller', awesome song. Whoever says that you will unconsiously begin to follow what your music tells you is either weakminded or just paranoid. I can listen to 50 cents, but that doesnt mean that one day I will start selling crack or a rob someone at gun point. Yes, there are people are as we might call them impressionable. Typically teenagers, but usually these messages they decide to be influenced by are never unconcious and is indeed a very conscious decision they make to emulate something. For various reasons, from thinking its cool to just wanting to fit in with a crowd. If you are one of these people, than I think the worst that can happen by listening to judas priest is that you might end up wearing black with studs and maybe you might grow your hair out. But I dont think it will go further than that. If you can appreciate the music , than I wouldn't worry. Just kick back, crank up the priest and rock on...

i probablly wouldnt listen to them....mainly because i hate their music.......not because they are homosexuals.........if you get a positive thing from their music then its ok....but be honest with yourself........

Melchisedec

[quote name='aloha918' date='Apr 5 2005, 09:13 AM'] .if you get a positive thing from their music then its ok....but be honest with yourself........ [/quote]
wise words

God Conquers

I wouldn't say you would unconsciously follow everything that is said in music, but one is definately influenced by it.

Be honest to yourself? sounds like something out of the satanic bible... "Be true to thyself, be the whole of the law" ?

Melchisedec

[quote name='Monoxide' date='Apr 5 2005, 10:23 AM'] Be honest to yourself? sounds like something out of the satanic bible... "Be true to thyself, be the whole of the law" ? [/quote]
Satanic bible. Humanistic belief with all the trappings of KISS. What a joke. Lets digress.

[quote name='Monoxide']Be honest to yourself? sounds like something out of the satanic bible... [/quote]

"This above all: to thine ownself be true"

Hamlet, Act 1, Scene III.

Edit..
Anyways, about the music. I've never listened to Judas Priest so can't say anything about that. I can say, however, that listening to some songs with christian messages haven't affected me one bit. I like quite a lot of some of them, but that hasn't made me anymore christian. I disagree with them, but they still sound nice.

Edited by Semalsia

"Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law"
-Aleister Crowley

Who is Aleister Crowley? A quick yahoo search will show us...

-He was a homosexual
-He lost his virginity at 14 and got several STD's by 17
-Joined various occult groups, wandered around germany in a black rubber suit doused in flammable substance, setting himself on fire to scare horses and people to death.
-Apparantly he tried to 'summon' his guardian angel and with the help of some african magiks he succeded in summoning a demon he called Aisweiss.
-Through his wife he found a 'source' of this demon that ironically had a painting and was numbered 666 in a museum. The demon is said to have dictated what Crowley wrote in 'The Book of Law'.
Lets look at a basic summary of what the alleged demon told crowley:

Do What Thou Wilt Shall Be The Whole Of The Law

Love Is The Law, Love Under Will

Every Man And Every Woman Is A Star

All of these look extremely pleasurable and truthful on the surface, but delve deeper and you can see the evils within.

The first is telling us to do whatever we please, no one is our master, not man or God.

The second says let our passions rule our bodies,

The third says that Mankind can be greater than God.

-after he founded the Argenteum Astrum, a witch craft doomsday cult
-he founded an 'abbey' in sicily
-he was a cocaine and heroin addict
-when good guy Mussolini came to power he expelled Aleister from Italy and had the Church exorcise the building.
-he died, proving that he wasn't God

anyway I am just trying to prove that that line is not one to be toyed with, you will give people the wrong ideas of where your loyalties lie, remember you can eat the food just as long as it doesnt interfere with the faith of others...

-Monoxide

yeah, but "be honest with yourself " is different than "do what you will"

he simply meant that be honest about your intentions and whether or not it's really being a positive influence on you. G.K. Chesterton said the only people who can truley say the road to hell is filled with good intentions are Calvinists, because good intentions are precisley the one thing the road to hell is NOT filled

words of the songs should be the most important thing; with everything else secondary. are the words of the song true, are they good for you. read the lyrics without the music, is that something you can agree with? if not, it shouldn't matter that you like the music. the substance of the song is the lyrics. for example, if you're allergic to strawberries and don't really like strawberries, you wouldn't eat strawberries even if dispersed amongst a really delicious cake

if you like the music, find a way to listen to it without the lyrics. regardless of whether it affects you subconsciously, et cetera, there is no real point to listening to disgustingly vile lyrics that you wouldn't agree with if someone just started saying them just because you like the music.

If your will power as weak enough to allow you to be persuaded by words alone, you need to get some help. No offense, modern day words are often meaningless. Look at 99% of all the black noise that comes out.

and you don't see the problem with idle words? the bible does.

even if it doesn't influence you it's still a question of whether or not you should listen to it.

I believe the problem with idle words in the bible was an attack on lazyness, not an attack on the lyrics of Judas Priest or Rammstein...