An Old School Catholic Message Board

Morality in taste of music..

Monoxide

Ash Wednesday

I like secular music, but I tend to pick and choose as far as songs go. Some secular songs I find to be very inspirational, and sometimes even spiritual. If I hear a song that I find objectionable I either turn off the radio or skip to another song if it's a CD.

Does anyone here like traditional Ukrainian Greek Catholic (and Orthodox of course) hymns and chants? I personally think that they are the only thing in the world better then the Red Army Choir, I enjoy them so much that it could almost be considered sinful.

Ash Wednesday

[quote name='Monoxide' date='Apr 6 2005, 02:00 AM'] Does anyone here like traditional Ukrainian Greek Catholic (and Orthodox of course) hymns and chants? I personally think that they are the only thing in the world better then the Red Army Choir, I enjoy them so much that it could almost be considered sinful. [/quote]
I think I've heard some of those and I thought they were very cool. I'm pretty sure I'd think they were totally awesome. :)

Carol of the Bells has Ukrainian Origins if I am not mistaken... Everyone has heard that before :) It is incredible in 4 part harmony.

Please continue the input, folks. I'm struggling with this myself at the moment.

And, ironically enough, most notably with Judas Priest. I might tell you about that one later.

God Conquers

Well, have you ever found your head bobbing to music about sex drugs, violence?

If so... you're definately being influenced.

Although there are different elements as well, think about dance clubs, dens of sex and alcohol. They play music for a reason.

Melchisedec

[quote name='God Conquers' date='Apr 7 2005, 02:27 PM'] Well, have you ever found your head bobbing to music about sex drugs, violence?

If so... you're definately being influenced.

Although there are different elements as well, think about dance clubs, dens of sex and alcohol. They play music for a reason. [/quote]
I guess my question to that is do you watch movies with volence at all? Or do you prefer only within the G , PG realm? Because I dont see any difference to watching that and listening to music.

MichaelFilo

Music very much has an effect on you. A very simple example, if you listen to a song with fast beats and a strong bass, you'll probably be more energetic (for a little while after, but mostly when you listen to it). Listening to love songs (the music not the lyrics) will cause you to become lovey-dovey, [i]et cetera[/i].

That is simply the music, and while never truely bad, it is when it becomes coupled with words that it gains either a morally good or a morally bad title. You see, the same music can be played and with different words (compare "baby got back" to "baby got book"), and can have a genuinly different effect on you. Upon listening to a song a few times, you sometimes will begin to only [b]listen[/b] to the music. This effect kicks in very much so when listening to "favorites" and while doing other things during the song (even thinking). This does not mean you stop [b]hearing[/b] the words. This is when the words begin to slip past your "fiddler" and begin to entrance you or at least fill you with the message being put out. So what effectivly happens is that while you think the message has no effect on you OR you aren't listening to just the music (not the lyrics) you are safe from it, is when you are most at risk. If you listen to enough punk rock with alot of liberal agenda behind it (or whatever music with whatever agenda) you will find that you ar emore willing to accept that agenda. The music (and lyrics) won't make you change, they'll just weaken your walls.

God bless,
Mikey

God Conquers

[quote name='Melchisedec' date='Apr 7 2005, 03:08 PM'] I guess my question to that is do you watch movies with volence at all? Or do you prefer only within the G , PG realm? Because I dont see any difference to watching that and listening to music. [/quote]
Seeing something and hearing something in music are very different sensual experiences.

See my post above.

Melchisedec

[quote name='God Conquers' date='Apr 7 2005, 03:43 PM'] Seeing something and hearing something in music are very different sensual experiences.

See my post above. [/quote]
So your telling me images and sound combined dont have an influence? Movies employ not only sound, words, but also visuals. Its all suggestion, and its all influential. I dont see any difference in either really. A movie can invoke emotions as strong as a song could. I agree that music, movies(tv) can influence a person or atleast plant a seed of thought inside. I think most people need to be open to this suggestion, before it can even plant a seed so to speak.

MichaelFilo

Movies require your full attention and so can be filtered more easily. However, due to the uncontralable speed of a movie (like at a theatre) you cannot fiddler all. Songs, however, tend to be more subliminal in their seed planting.

To go back to the main point, if they lyrics are poor, the music must go. Certain music (not referring to lyrics) are also very morally bad, because of the certain sound, and allow an evil (satanic in this case) message to be handed out easily. The music (not lyrics) would make little sense with a Christian music and was even banned by a certain pope (don't remember which Holy Father it was) from bein gplayed in Church.

God bless,
Mikey

Jungle music?

Some people have such poor taste, I am sorry I have to say this but it is so true. Talking about rapeing and stealin and sexin' and blingin' is all hideous.