An Old School Catholic Message Board

Morality in taste of music..

Monoxide

[quote name='Monoxide' date='Apr 5 2005, 10:23 AM'] Be honest to yourself? sounds like something out of the satanic bible... "Be true to thyself, be the whole of the law" ? [/quote]
yep i am quoting from the satanic bible......... :wacko:

MichaelFilo

[quote name='Cathurian' date='Apr 7 2005, 10:22 PM'] What kind of music are you talking about? [/quote]
All music would apply. It is essentially the message in the lyrics that marks the music as moral or immoral.

God bless,
Mikey

Edited by MichaelFilo

God Conquers

I don't think you could say instrumental music was good/evil or moral.immoral, no matter what instruments are used. It would only be when words and messages are applied to music that values begin to form.

This idea reminds me of how terrible it is to be lukewarm. We must be hot or cold, but lukewarm is the worst. Listening to music that does not promote virtue or things of good nature, while trying to attain the kigdom of heaven, is compeltely contradictory for one, and it causes the listener to become lukewarm.

Scripture says that we should let all we do give glory to God.

I for one DO stay away from most movies. I don't want to play games with anything that may affect my thinking.

What we input into our minds will come out in some way. That's just the way it is.

MichaelFilo

It is a certain note pattern that was condmened to not be allowed to be used in the Church when pianos were first allowed. Now if only I could remember...

If I come across it I'll give you the exacts. However, other form sof music clearly seem evil, for instance Cradle of Filth's background music (aside from their satanic lyrics) sounds much like demons and such being summouned.... it sounds as if Satan himself comes forth when the guiatrs are played. Of course, all of it is synthesized, no doubt, but still there are certain peices of music that cannot be reconciled with good lyrics.

God bless,
Mikey

I just read CoF's lyrics and stayed away.

Is there a certain style which is objectively wrong? Has this been denounced by the Church, or is it just your opinion? (Either way I'll take it into consideration, I'd just like to know where this came from.)

I'm really curious here, as I have very broad taste in music, and to think one of my favorite styles might be evil is quite disturbing. Please come up with a style, examples, and so on -- I'd be very grateful.

If you don't want to risk endangering anyone by throwing names out you can PM me about it.

MichaelFilo

If you had asked me 9 months ago, I'd of said alot of things are wrong or in error. However, the Catholic Church has as of yet to denounce any form of music as evil, or contrary to the Faith. There is really no such thing as evil music, simply evil lyrics as I said. There is music that would only allow evil lyrics to make some sort of "flow" between the lyrics and music. However, it is only a very specific, and you would probably have no trouble avoiding it, as the lyrics would obviously set off a few flags.

As for what my opinion is? I've listened to everything that I've been given. As far as music and styles in and of themselves, all can be used for good and so none are bad. Even that heavy screamo metal, and that real hardcore rap. All is good if the lyrics are.

God bless,
Mikey

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='Melchisedec' date='Apr 5 2005, 11:03 AM'] Judas Priest, great band. My favorite would have to be 'painkiller', awesome song. Whoever says that you will unconsiously begin to follow what your music tells you is either weakminded or just paranoid. I can listen to 50 cents, but that doesnt mean that one day I will start selling crack or a rob someone at gun point. Yes, there are people are as we might call them impressionable. Typically teenagers, but usually these messages they decide to be influenced by are never unconcious and is indeed a very conscious decision they make to emulate something. For various reasons, from thinking its cool to just wanting to fit in with a crowd. If you are one of these people, than I think the worst that can happen by listening to judas priest is that you might end up wearing black with studs and maybe you might grow your hair out. But I dont think it will go further than that. If you can appreciate the music , than I wouldn't worry. Just kick back, crank up the priest and rock on... [/quote]
Music bypasses the higher functioning parts of your brain and directly affects your central nervious system and the so-called primitive brain. It has a vast unseen influence on you. Played at critical times during child development, it can even effect how the brain is organized and how well you learn.

[b]Put yourself in our hands
So our voices can be heard
And together
We will take on all the world[/b]

It doesn't matter that the above is a Judas Priest lyric, it could
be from anyone.

It's up to each person, if they want to put themselves in whatever hands.

Contrary to the flip-off opinion of Mel, etc; it's only reality that
whatever we put into our senses, or let be put in there, will
have some influence.

Our eyes and ears are our gateways to our souls. Guaranteed you may say you block out the lyric but you can still hum the tume or even voice out the chorus. Its the spirit behind the music you have to watch out for. Words are so important, they have much power. All of existance was created with them.
The bible in proverbs 4:23, says ABOVE ALL ELSE guard your heart with all viligilance for from it flows the springs of life."

why would you want hear music about killing and drugs and sex and all that when you could listen to music about God? No music compares to worship music. That was music was meant for in the first place. Worship. You may say were weak minded, no, were being obediant to Our Father whom we love so much. He tells things with our best interets in mind. Not to take away "fun". Its not weak, its wise.

Why don't people give some similar styled Catholic or Evangelical bands a try?

I'd be interested to hear what people think

Dave

[quote name='Catalyst' date='Apr 9 2005, 09:53 AM'] why would you want hear music about killing and drugs and sex and all that when you could listen to music about God? No music compares to worship music. That was music was meant for in the first place. Worship. You may say were weak minded, no, were being obediant to Our Father whom we love so much. He tells things with our best interets in mind. Not to take away "fun". Its not weak, its wise. [/quote]
i cant listen to worship music all of the time.......and i pretty much dislike all christian rock besides swithfoot........

(Off topic), but just so ppl know it exists (evil instrumental music):

Miles Davis ([i]Jack Johnson [/i]album)

Listen to [i][b]that[/b] [/i]driving on a rural road alone at night - NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You'll be singing "Old MacDonald Had a Farm" and other happy stuff just to get the evil off your car! The mind will try to think of or sing, something simple with simple Western progressions.

Or Lou Reed's ([i]Heroin,[/i] at the end where it's "only" instrumental. That'll make ppl jump off a cliff, it's terrible.

There are many examples.

One of the ickiest for it's seductiveness initially was in the "Concert For George" (Harrison), when Ravi Shankar and his hindu ensemble did this chant. At first it sounded bright, but soon it turned wicked... like the eternal circle of dancers, who cannot stop dancing and cannot break out of the circle, but are forever doomed to dance.