An Old School Catholic Message Board

Protestants

Mikhail

In reading over several posts here, I noticed that whenever the members refer to non-Catholics, they use the word Protestant. The Protestants are actually a minority among the non-Catholics. Not being a Catholic does NOT make you a Protestant.

MichaelFilo

[quote]Prot·es·tant  Audio pronunciation of "Protestant" ( P )  Pronunciation Key  (prt-stnt)
n.

1. A member of a Western Christian church whose faith and practice are founded on the principles of the Reformation, especially in the acceptance of the Bible as the sole source of revelation, in justification by faith alone, and in the universal priesthood of all the believers.[/quote]

-Dictionary.com

Principles of the Reformation. Non-Apostlic = Protestant, or non-Christian.

God bless,
Mikey

Brother Adam

I recognize what you are trying to say, and respect that. As a non-Catholic Christian growing up in society today you did not necessary yourself reject the Catholic Church. It could have been your parents, grandparents, or some other relative, and becuase of that you were raised in a different faith. You yourself may have never actually protested the Bride of Christ. If that is you, then you very well may not be a Protestant in the strictest sense of the term.

I hope if it is you, you will stick around here and ask questions about the one, true, holy, and apostolic faith, founded by Jesus Christ. Hopefully you will find as I did, just last year, that being fully united to the Bride of Christ is the best move in your faith journey you can ever make.

Welcome to phatmass and God bless you in your search for truth.

conservativecatholic

The word Protestant is derived from the word "protest." (They protest the Catholic Church) If one protests the Catholic Church and is not Catholic or Orthodox but is of another Christian sect, they are Protestant.

Edited by conservativecatholic

Guest Eremite

For those interested, here's a classic book written by Louis Bouyer. I haven't read it, but I've seen it referenced many times as an irenic look at Protestantism (and, incidentally, it was written before the Council). It's called "The Spirit and Forms of Protestantism":

[url="http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1889334316/qid=1113174565/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/104-6715577-9107929?v=glance&s=books"]http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detai...=glance&s=books[/url]

Edited by Eremite

infinitelord1

i am catholic.....but i do recognize one thing about the laws of this world.....Nothing is perfect......i dont believe that the catholic faith is 100% perfect. I think religion itself is not perfect. What does religion do? It causes fights and sometimes wars. I do recognize that there is only one truth and that is god. But nothing in this world is perfect. You can say that the bible is perfect, but each in every bible has a torn edge or a torn page or etc.. Now the actual abstract teachings of the bible is perfect. Religion takes these teachings and divides people because they all have different ideals of what it says (the truth). I believe that catholicism is the closest to the truth, but it still cant be perfect....just like everything else in this world. Even the catholic church was divided amonst these: greek orthodox and byzantinian churches. they all teach the same things buth the other churches felt the old traditional way of teaching is better than the new (catholic church).

Fides_et_Ratio

[quote name='infinitelord1' date='Apr 11 2005, 03:10 PM'] i am catholic....i dont believe that the catholic faith is 100% perfect. [/quote]
:huh:

That last bit sort of contradicts the first bit... and I'd recommend a history lesson.

Edited by Fides_et_Ratio

Melchisedec

[quote name='infinitelord1' date='Apr 11 2005, 03:10 PM'] i am catholic.....but i do recognize one thing about the laws of this world.....Nothing is perfect......i dont believe that the catholic faith is 100% perfect. I think religion itself is not perfect. What does religion do? It causes fights and sometimes wars. I do recognize that there is only one truth and that is god. But nothing in this world is perfect. You can say that the bible is perfect, but each in every bible has a torn edge or a torn page or etc.. Now the actual abstract teachings of the bible is perfect. Religion takes these teachings and divides people because they all have different ideals of what it says (the truth). I believe that catholicism is the closest to the truth, but it still cant be perfect....just like everything else in this world. Even the catholic church was divided amonst these: greek orthodox and byzantinian churches. they all teach the same things buth the other churches felt the old traditional way of teaching is better than the new (catholic church). [/quote]
I would agree with Fides_et_Ratio. You either believe it or you dont. You are basiclly making up your own religion to suit your personal opinions on life. But you are asking the right questions.

I'm not Catholic, but I don't like to think of myself as Protestant either. There are many things about the protestant mind-set which is horrid. I came across some of the literature and heard a tape once from "The Protestant Truth Society" and I didn't like it at all.

Brother Adam

If you have learned the truths of the Catholic faith and reject them, then you are Protestant. To be protestant doesn't mean you must ascribe to any one set of beliefs. In fact, it means you you come up with your own interpretation of scripture and ascribe to that. This is why there are tens of thousands of Protestant sects. To protest the truth of the Catholic faith is to be Protestant.

I was recommended to this site by a Catholic friend of mine who told me that I could debate with Catholics on matters of their faith. However, what I'm seeing here is people who just consider me deceived and they state what they believe to be facts and anything that I say is not facts.

Like it or not, the world doesn't revolve around the Catholic church. The term Protestant belonged to the Lutherans, the Anglicans, and the Calvinists (and even the Zwingliians). To associate other Christians with these groups is offensive to me. You throw me in with all the other non-Catholics, something that I am not.

MichaelFilo

Wait... we are not simply stating we are right and you are wrong. We are giving you reasons. You have failed to do this, but I am sure you will provide excellent ones upon realizing that you haven't.

To be a Protestant is to ascribe to the beliefs of those men... it would be very silly to say every Calvinist belives the same thing, or every Luthern (why few believed in Mary's perpetual Virginity, but Luther did!). Those people were Protestants nonetheless. They protested the Christian Faith as it stood. Their beliefs were united on some points, most especially Sola Scriptura and salvation by faith. In effect, anyone who ascribes to these beliefs nowadays, and anyone who did back then, is considered a Protestant.

Please don't take offense... but it's how it is. Your beliefs are rooted in the Protestant Reformation, and that I cannot help, and the title cannot be shaken off unless you join a church that has psuedo-baptisms, at which point you cease to be a Christian.

God bless,
Mikey

Brother Adam

Do I sense frustation?

If you want to debate, then debate! If you want to ask questions, ask questions! Or just stay and observe.

If you are offended, I'm sorry, Christ did not come to make everyone happy. You're comment 'The world does not revolve around the Catholic Church' is abrasive. The Church is sojourning in this world. It is not of the world, and Christians are alien residents to the world.

If believe you have a religion of your own that does not come out of another sect, that's fine. Perhaps you are not historically connected to old Protestant movements, yet none the less, if you openly reject the Bride of Christ, you ultimately reject Christ himself. I know that is extremely difficult to understand, and I don't blame you for disagreeing, but if you disagree, say so, and tell us what about the Catholic Church you disagree with. Let's move foreward to open dialogue in truth and love, instead of being stuck on something you may find offensive.

I hope you will find as so many others do, myself included, that when they put Catholicism on trial she wins every time. To every question and to every disagreement there is a clarification that needs to be made. You are welcome here, and we love you, and Christ loves you, but we will of course hold steadfast to the faith which we love.