An Old School Catholic Message Board

Protestants

Mikhail

Brother Adam

Hey Mik,

You are young, Bible study as you know doesn't mean you are right. Give it a few years and you will watch how your position on many things will dramatically develop. I didn't believe it myself when I was 19 and was self assured about many things. But you know what they say about wisdom and age. You seem to be on a similar path. I was very convinced I was nothing but a Christian when I was 19. No denominational or church affiliation, though I attended church at various places. Perhaps then you see a problem with denominationalism as well. I had read and reread the Bible many times and knew some Greek and Hebrew as well. May the Lord be with you on your journey.

God Bless.

Edited by Brother Adam

[quote name='Brother Adam' date='Apr 13 2005, 08:59 PM'] I was very convinced I was nothing but a Christian when I was 19. [/quote]
wow, me too, at 19. that's when Christ changed my life. interesting.

Brother Adam

I'm glad Christ changed you're life. Yet accepting only Christ in your Chrisitan life excludes the rest of his family, and your family. It's like saying "Well, I love my brother, but not my mom, dad, brothers, sisters, cousins, they don't exist". Salvation has always been a family affair. From Adam and Eve, to Jesus. Salvation has always been covenantal.

And to clarify before you run to your campus crusade buddies, 'nothing but a christian' is a refusal to accept any denominational or other affiliation. Those who say that are running around telling the world that 'I am alone as a Christian, I have no family'.

[quote name='Brother Adam' date='Apr 13 2005, 11:21 PM']
And to clarify before you run to your campus crusade buddies.... [/quote]
check your attitude.

[quote]I don’t think I’m going to participate in many debates or even read many of them on here for several reasons. 1) I’m a very busy person and already regularly visit and run several other message boards. 2) The fact that the Catholics on here outnumber me so greatly make it hard to debate since it’s impossible for me to address everyone individually. Since I am at odds with most non-Catholics beliefs myself, I don’t expect to get much help from that quarter. 3) I really don’t like the layout of this forum. :wink:[/quote]

I'm sure there a number of people on this board that would be willing to debate with you on certain issues in a one on one manner..and considering your third reason....most of them would even be willing to do it on the message board of your choice.

Think about it if you are really seeking the truth with all your heart.

Kiel

[quote name='Mikhail' date='Apr 13 2005, 03:46 PM']I’m just going to quote one portion of Revelations Chapter 2, but the whole Chapter emphasizes my point: The fact that a church started out in the right place doesn’t mean they are in that place now.[/quote]
I'll quote the part of bible that says why the Catholic Church was started by Jesus and will remain faithful to Him.

Matthew 16:18
And so I say to you, you are Peter, and [b]upon this rock I will build my church, and the gates of the netherworld shall not prevail against it.[/b]

:cool:

Brother Adam

[quote name='mulls' date='Apr 13 2005, 11:40 PM'] check your attitude. [/quote]
I don't have an attitude. :)

Prove what you say.

[quote name='Brother Adam' date='Apr 14 2005, 08:27 AM'] I don't have an attitude. :)

Prove what you say. [/quote]

what have i said here that i need to prove. that Christ changed my life? would you like my testimony?

there's some things that can't be described or understood over a computer. my life bears witness.

and you do have an attitude. you've become very high and mighty these days. check yourself.

Like I said, you guys are funny.

I'm young, yes, but my dad isn't and he holds the same views. I'm not a typical 19 year old. I was forced to memorize whole books of the bible and was debating with ordained ministers by the time I was 14. So don't pull the age card on me. I've probably been with more churches than most of you will in a lifetime.

As for your argument about Peter and rock, that is the most cliché and fallacious argument out there. It's circluar reasoning. It's a matter of interpretation. The Catholic church says that the bible gives them the authority to interpret the bible, and they misinterpret the bible (at least to people who don't agree) to prove that they have the authority.

Anyway, I'm not really interesting in carrying out long debates on a forum with this many people, and I have Catholic friends aplenty who are willing to dabate. However, if someone wants to debate me, send and email my way, or better yet, my AIM s/n is historymjv7785 and talk to me there.

[quote name='Mikhail' date='Apr 14 2005, 01:57 PM'] I'm young, yes, but my dad isn't and he holds the same views. I'm not a typical 19 year old. I was forced to memorize whole books of the bible and was debating with ordained ministers by the time I was 14. So don't pull the age card on me. I've probably been with more churches than most of you will in a lifetime.
[/quote]
don't let anyone look down on you cuz you're young. go on wit yer bad self. :P

[quote name='Mikhail' date='Apr 14 2005, 08:57 AM']As for your argument about Peter and rock, that is the most cliché and fallacious argument out there. It's circluar reasoning. It's a matter of interpretation. The Catholic church says that the bible gives them the authority to interpret the bible, and they misinterpret the bible (at least to people who don't agree) to prove that they have the authority. [/quote]
It's not cliche -- it's history -- 2000 years' worth. :cool:

The basic nature of Protestants is undefinable (THOUGH PLEASE BEAR IN MIND THAT THERE IS MUCH ABOUT PROTESTANTISM WHICH I DISLIKE) but might go something like this:

- some are just brought up as one

- some are totally anti-Catholic seeing Catholicism as a false religion

- some quite like Catholicism, but can't go along with the idolatry and ritual

- some reject what they consider to be totally unBiblical doctrines (such as veneration of Mary, indulgences, rosary, priests not being allowed to marry etc etc etc etc etc etc)

- some are totally ignorant of Catholic beliefs. Catholics aren't too good and evangelising and pushing their faith.

IT IS NOT JUST ABOUT PROTESTANT HAVING A REBELLIOUS NATURE.

Please do not think that they are rebellious and against God. There are many nuances and situations which affect a person's belief-system and which labels them as a "protestant" - you can not generalise, or judge.

Edited by Priscilla