An Old School Catholic Message Board

Do we have enough reason to believe in God?

infinitelord1

Melchisedec

[quote name='MC Just' date='Apr 15 2005, 03:52 PM'] If God didnt Exist, there would be no Athiests. :) [/quote]
If men didn't exist there would be no god ;)

Fidei Defensor

[quote name='Melchisedec' date='Apr 15 2005, 03:53 PM'] If men didn't exist there would be no god ;) [/quote]
Actually, in what you believe, yes there would be, but he/she/it would not be called 'god'

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='Melchisedec' date='Apr 15 2005, 04:53 PM'] If men didn't exist there would be no god ;) [/quote]
"God creates dinosaurs.
God destroys dinosaurs.
God creates man.
Man destroys God.
Man creates dinosaurs." -Ian Malcom, Jurassic Park, followed closely by:

"Dinosaurs eat man.
Woman inherits the earth." -Dr. Ellie Sattler, Jurassic Park

Sorry...I just love that quote...

The fact of the matter is that MC Just is right...without God, there would be no atheists.

Melchisedec is wrong because if men were before God, then there would be no God ever, since God must come first.

Melchisedec

[quote name='Raphael' date='Apr 15 2005, 04:01 PM'] Melchisedec is wrong because if men were before God, then there would be no God ever, since God must come first. [/quote]
You believe this because you will always presume that their has to be Yahweh.

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='Melchisedec' date='Apr 15 2005, 05:25 PM'] You believe this because you will always presume that their has to be Yahweh. [/quote]
No, I believe this because as a categorical definition, God is eternal, and therefore, man, who is not eternal, could never create God, but only a concept of God.

Melchisedec

[quote name='infinitelord1' date='Apr 15 2005, 04:11 PM'] Melchisedec,

how do you propose the universe was created? [/quote]
I don't have a theory because we don't know. You can choose whichever creation story you'd like, but it still doesn't prove it. Especially if you believe in the literal account of the bible, it simply does not hold up to scrutiny. Its a mystery and it remains one.

Melchisedec

[quote name='Raphael' date='Apr 15 2005, 04:34 PM'] No, I believe this because as a categorical definition, God is eternal, and therefore, man, who is not eternal, could never create God, but only a concept of God. [/quote]
For a theist maybe.

[quote name='Melchisedec']How can there be one definition for god considering there thousands of them.[/quote]

Infinite and creator of everything?

She's right, Mel, if God exists then it is necessary that God existed first before everything else. Otherwise God would not be creator of everything.

Fidei Defensor

I think he meant man created the concept of a god.

But Mel, without man, there would be some kind of creator, since you yourself said that you would accept the idea of something that somehow started the process of the universe. not necesarily a god in your eyes though.

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='Melchisedec' date='Apr 15 2005, 05:36 PM'] For a theist maybe. [/quote]
How could anyone else's categorical definition for God not include the trait: eternal?

Melchisedec

[quote name='fidei defensor' date='Apr 15 2005, 05:05 PM'] I think he meant man created the concept of a god.

But Mel, without man, there would be some kind of creator, since you yourself said that you would accept the idea of something that somehow started the process of the universe. not necesarily a god in your eyes though. [/quote]
Because I reserve my final judgement on a creator does not mean I believe in one and that there has to be one. Right now there is no evidence for a creator. But maybe in the future there might. I choose to reserve my final judgement on that. I think we have alot more work to do to uncover the nature of our universe. There is certainly alot to learn that could be definitive. We could very well answer the question conclusively and end the debate forever. But does Yahweh exist imo, certainly not and Yahweh is the god in which we speak of.

Edited by Melchisedec

Melchisedec

[quote name='Raphael' date='Apr 15 2005, 05:14 PM'] How could anyone else's categorical definition for God not include the trait: eternal? [/quote]
Gods born of other gods, gods that die. There are many gods who have characterisitic that defy your standards. These gods fit under the accepted definition of god.