An Old School Catholic Message Board

Do we have enough reason to believe in God?

infinitelord1

Melchisedec

[quote name='infinitelord1' date='Apr 18 2005, 12:30 PM'] this debate is pointless because you will never change your beliefs [/quote]
Besides your poor skills of trying to make a point. Its crystal clear that you have already led yourself to a conclusion. Why even ask these questions if you have an answer for all of them? Submit to your faith, and worry about school and getting good grades since you couldn't prove your own existence if you tired. I mean that in the most endearing way.

In reason...

"Reason"...hmm...is it reasonable to think a glass of water will quench my thirst? Is the existence of thirst itself a suggestion that something must exist to quench it? These were some of my thoughts when reflecting on some bizarre epiphanies I had while an atheist.

I was not a passive atheist, I utterly rejected the existence of the Divine. My rejection was so deep that it consequently led me to the rejection of other things, namely love, truth, purpose, and knowledge (I used to paradoxically say, "The only truth is there is no truth"). At the time I was satisfied with the knowledge the sciences provided, thought evolution was the end all to all questions (ha!). It made me see no reason to believe in God, and further, no evidence for God.

Yet...oddly.....

Every now and then, perhaps just thinking to myself quietly before going to sleep, I would say, "There MUST be a God" or "at least the possibility of God existing must be real." Strange, I did not realize then what I do now: Being that I saw no physical, scientific, or otherwise rational evidence to believe in God, WHAT was making me believe? Perhaps it was Divine inspiration: He flashes lightning in our dark hearts to give us a taste of Light. Or perhaps belief is Natural: somehow even the atheist is familiar with the concept of God, never have I met someone who was unaware of Him, though not everyone accepts Him. Belief is natural though we are forgetful, God reminds us with revelation, prophets, and the righteous but He also does so through inspiration. As an atheist these "Moments in the Light" occured every now and then, since taking steps towards God they happen more often.

My dialogues with atheists have shown I was not alone, many admitted similar lapses in disbelief others have suggested it indirectly. After the usual tirade against God's existence many atheists seem to WANT to believe, as if they are desperately searching for some proof that will make them see as we See. They already believe, it would be easier is they stopped fighting themselves.

Edited by mortify