An Old School Catholic Message Board

Execute Them!

Aloysius

I think they should be locked up for life so that they cant do it to others. I dont really believe in capital punishment I dont think anyone has the right to kill another person. I think in extreme cases where they feel its necessary maybe for serial murderers but even then its tough because I'm a Christian, and just don't believe people have any right to play God. Lock them up, let God be the final judge.

Don John of Austria

I don't believe people have the rightto play God either, but I don't see whatthat has to do with capital punishment, someone who desides for themselves what is right or wrong instead of listening to Gods law is playing God. Capital pusishment is nothing of the kind, it is simply the State defending it's own.

Q the Ninja

I would just like to posit one thing...the death penalty [i]should[/i] be the state exercising the duty to protect its citizens. It's not always necessary, and quite honestly, way too over used.

The death penalty is too often used for the wrong reason.

Don John of Austria

[quote name='Q the Ninja' date='May 3 2005, 07:05 PM'] I would just like to posit one thing...the death penalty [i]should[/i] be the state exercising the duty to protect its citizens. It's not always necessary, and quite honestly, way too over used.

The death penalty is too often used for the wrong reason. [/quote]
It's funney because Ithink the death penalty is way under used. On the other hand I object to its use as a matter of vengence, it should be used to protect the innocent from those who would harm them, thus I think many people we concider untouchable are those who should getthis penalty first. That being said while I personally disagree with the use of the death penelty agianst those who have no demonstratable danger to people anymore ( such as those who murder as a specific crime of passion) it is important to remember that those who have murdered the innocent have Forfeited their right to live.

Don John of Austria

As despicable as he is the pedophile has not forfieted his right to life, he has not violated anothers life and thereby taken all of that persons rights from them, thus the principal of forfieture does not apply. However the suffering wrought by pedophiles is tremendous and execution of them in order to protect society from them is certianly within the moral order.

Edited by Don John of Austria

Don John of Austria

[quote name='Winchester' date='May 4 2005, 04:51 PM'] And serial killers are worse than pedophiles in what way? [/quote]
Murder is objectivly more evil than raping.

Don John of Austria

[quote name='Don John of Austria' date='May 4 2005, 04:57 PM'] Murder is objectivly more evil than raping. [/quote]
That said, both are evil enough to warrant execution.

[quote name='Don John of Austria' date='May 3 2005, 06:55 PM'] Capital pusishment is nothing of the kind, it is simply the State defending it's own. [/quote]
The State in this country has the means to protect society from people who may be dangerous without having to resort to the death penalty. This is accompished with life in prison. This punishment is not more expensive than executing someone, and protects society at the same time. The Death Penalty is used without prudence. because life in prison works, it is not, or very rarely necessary.

Don John of Austria

[quote name='slywakka250' date='May 4 2005, 06:00 PM'] The State in this country has the means to protect society from people who may be dangerous without having to resort to the death penalty. This is accompished with life in prison. This punishment is not more expensive than executing someone, and protects society at the same time. The Death Penalty is used without prudence. because life in prison works, it is not, or very rarely necessary. [/quote]
Actually it is much more expensive, it is our cumbersome legal system that artifically enflates the cost of execution. However, that is irrelevent, is it ever just to execute someone, yes, if it is just then it is morally permissable, and it is perfectly okay to to do it.

It is a just punishment, but there is the chance of making a complete mistakes and condemning to death the innocent. I am uncomfortable giving to the governement the power of life and death when it is not neccessarry for the safety of society. Just because it is morally permissable does that mean it should be generally used as punishment to serious crimes? It is true that the threat of Capital Punishment may cause some to move toward repentence, but this ignores the fact that God can work in many ways to bring this about, and it also completly eliminates any chance that the person might be able to develep a new way of life.

Don John of Austria

What about the dead persons chance to repent? How many are in Hell because they didn't repent before someone murdered them? Further what chance do they have to develop a new way of life in prison. Life in prison is far more inhumane that execution.