An Old School Catholic Message Board

Was Jesus the true messiah?

infinitelord1

[quote name='Paphnutius' date='May 9 2005, 02:05 PM'] Just a quick word on this.

Did Josephus really consider Christ the Messiah? If the answer is no, then it is understandable. [/quote]
Pap, I think he was being sarcastic ?sp

Paphnutius

[quote name='Timothy' date='May 9 2005, 02:06 PM'] Pap, I think he was being sarcastic ?sp [/quote]
Well my point is not everyone has to believe for something to be true. Citing a historian who did not believe Christ to be the Missiah really does not prove that he was not.

RandomProddy

[quote name='infinitelord1' date='May 9 2005, 07:22 PM'] What is it that distinguishes jesus christ from everything else? [/quote]
Jesus 1, Death 0.

RandomProddy

[quote name='Noel's angel' date='May 9 2005, 10:08 PM'] That's a good way to put it Joseph :) [/quote]
Who?

[quote name='Timothy']Semalsia, you rely on the notion that the universe is in random chaos?[/quote]

Not entirely random since the universe has a clear set of laws on how it works. But it's very much chaotic. And randomness does play a big part in the eventual outcomes. Like there are those massive extinction events in the history which are caused by asteroids, volcanoes and the like. These have drastically effected the evolutionary process which eventually led to us. In a chaotic system even the very little changes can make massive differences in the outcomes given enough time. Humans could have very easily not existed.

I don't know much about these constants you are talking about, but it seems to me they are like the other random stuff. They could have been different, but they aren't. They are the way they are and as a result life as we know it is possible.

I don't see design. I see imperfection and chaos. We are a insignificant by-product of a meaningless universe. Purpose? I see none. Sometimes I see beauty amongst the death. That is enough.

Noel's angel

[quote]Not entirely random since the universe has a clear set of laws on how it works.[/quote]

so, the universe just made up these laws did it?

[quote]Like there are those massive extinction events in the history which are caused by asteroids, volcanoes and the like. These have drastically effected the evolutionary process which eventually led to us. In a chaotic system even the very little changes can make massive differences in the outcomes given enough time. Humans could have very easily not existed. [/quote]

But does it not make you wonder how all these things could NEARLY have wiped out the human race, or prevented human existance altogether, but didn't?

scardella

So, why are some things random, and others not? Who determines whether some effect X is random or not? or is that random too?

So, ultimately, there is no meaning to anything? So, why are we concerned?