An Old School Catholic Message Board

NEW Reference Section Discussion...

dUSt

phatcatholic

[quote name='dUSt' date='Jun 18 2005, 11:39 AM']I agree with hughey.

It makes more sense to me to have the ECF info in the actual category. If the users know that the ECF info is in each category, then they will easily be able to find it because of the ECF icon.

If the ECFs have a completely seperate section, then we're actually duplicating a lot of effort because we're basically re-creating the entire navigation structure within the ECFs section. Also, if the ECFs have their own section then to be consistent we must create seperate sections for the Catechism, Scripture and Audio Downloads. So now we're re-creating the navigation structure four times...

See?
[right][snapback]615252[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
that's cool, but what do i do w/ the comprehensive arguments in the ECF entry, which i think are helpful, as well as the section on the Doctors of the Church and St. Augustine?

phatcatholic

i was just thinking..........maybe we could keep the ECF entry, just not have in it the sections from every other entry. that way i could keep those other sections (comprehensive arguments, compilations, doctors, st. augustine, audio downloads). what do u think dUSt?

Yeah, if there's ECF stuff that doesn't fit in any of the other categories then it would be good to keep a EFC section for just those links... unless they could somehow fit into the Church History section? Maybe not.

The main goal is to avoid duplicating info in more than one place, as the next version of the software will take care of that.

phatcatholic

when do we get to see the next version of the software? also, i hope it will change how the tree works in the admin section. instead of being able to go up and down in the tree as you edit categories, you always have to go back to the beginning. i'm also hopin it will actually tell us what the broken links are.

Edited by phatcatholic

phatcatholic

[quote name='hugheyforlife' date='Jun 18 2005, 04:46 PM']dUSt said it would tell us in the next version which links are broken
[right][snapback]615550[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
sweeeeet..............when does it come out?

franciscanheart

that i dont know. i didnt think to ask him.

just to let you know.... my part will be done either tomorrow night or at the lastest monday afternoon so if theres something else i can do to help you out just let me know.

phatcatholic

look at what i did to the sacred tradition entry........................yes, i am a genius :cool:

btw, dUSt, i can go ahead and do that w/ the rest of the entries, if you want

Edited by phatcatholic

phatcatholic

also, note that subcategories are listed in two columns, read from left to right. well, i figured out how to put a blank line in a column. just add a category and put the name for it in quotation marks. then, when u click on "edit" the title is no longer there. click "process changes" and the category will essentially be there but it will be blank.

i did this w/ the Peter and the Papacy entry so that "Early Church Fathers" could be lined up w/ the other three sections. you'll notice that there should be a category to the right of "other arguments".

i think its pretty cool, but maybe i'm easily amused

franciscanheart

so i didnt meet my expected goal of finishing last night because the basketball game was on and then i was celebrating.... i told phat im hoping to help him have it done either by thursday or friday... if not sooner.

[oh and my new sugar glider was born so now im having to hand nurse it....]

franciscanheart

phat:

in the death, judgement, afterlife section the link for audio downloads doesnt have any subsections like in the old ref section.

i havent entered any links yet. let me know what to do please.

franciscanheart

i admit it - im an idiot. i put the wrong section in one of the categories so i need either phat or dust to go back and delete all of those links i just put in. they are under...

morality, ethics, truth > sin and the christian lifestyle > moral absolutism and relativism

please dont rub in how stupid i was. im lightheaded and tired, not to mention a complete idiot. im gunna keep going with the other stuff while i wait for those to be deleted.