An Old School Catholic Message Board

Suicide

Lil Red

cmotherofpirl

Please cite a church document that says psychological problems are a defect of the soul.

Don John of Austria

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' date='Jun 23 2005, 02:57 PM']Please cite a church document that says psychological problems are a defect of the soul.
[right][snapback]620783[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Cmom the entire tradition f the Church is that the Mind is a faculty of the Soul, certianly the entire scholastic tradition contends that. If the mind is a faculty of the soul then mental problems must be a defect there, not organic, An organic mind is not in keeping with tradition at all.

Don John of Austria

I recomend reading the following article of the faculties of the soul.
[url="http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/05749a.htm"]http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/05749a.htm[/url]

Does anyonethink there is a definate reason why artists, poets and such have a higher risk, lol, of suicide then say car mechanics, lawyers, etc. its quite a strange phenoma/trend through history...maybe this is irrelevent, but i wonder... and another thought...martin Luther and HItler probably had the potential to become the most influential people for the RC church/maybe doctors of the church intheir particular time- but Satan saw that and woulden't let it get by...

As a writer who hangs around with a lot of neurotic, depressed writers (who mostly started out as normal people!) I believe it's because creating art takes a great investment of self, and that investment is never reciprocated by the audience. You put your heart out there, and.... nothing.

After a while this takes its toll. Even artists who are monetarily successful -- money isn't what your innermost self wants. It wants validation and approval. That hardly ever happens.

I've watched the process eat people up.

Edited by philothea

[quote name='philothea' date='Jun 24 2005, 07:00 PM']As a writer who hangs around with a lot of neurotic, depressed writers (who mostly started out as normal people!) I believe it's because creating art takes a great investment of self, and that investment is never reciprocated by the audience.  You put your heart out there, and.... nothing.

After a while this takes its toll.  Even artists who are monetarily successful -- money isn't what your innermost self wants.  It wants validation and approval.  That hardly ever happens.

I've watched the process eat people up.
[right][snapback]622153[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I don't think the art itself makes artists/writers, etc. depressed or neurotic. It's the "artistic temperament" itself. There has been an established link between creativity and mental instability/madness (particularly bi-polar disorder). The same mental/emotional energy and sensitivity that can inspire creative genius can also cause mood swings and craziness.)
As a sometimes writer, I find writing and art is cathartic and can improve my temperament, so I don't think it's the art itself (though certain artists can adopt self-destructive lifestyles and philosphies which contribute to mental problems, or use their "artisticness" as an excuse to indulge in craziness that would not be tolerated in most other professions.

[quote name='Socrates' date='Jun 24 2005, 07:20 PM']I don't think the art itself makes artists/writers, etc. depressed or neurotic.  It's the "artistic temperament" itself.  There has been an established link between creativity and mental instability/madness (particularly bi-polar disorder).  The same mental/emotional energy and sensitivity that can inspire creative genius can also cause mood swings and craziness.)
As a sometimes writer, I find writing and art is cathartic and can improve my temperament, so I don't think it's the art itself  (though certain artists can adopt self-destructive lifestyles and  philosphies which contribute to mental problems, or use their "artisticness" as an excuse to indulge in craziness that would not be tolerated in most other professions.
[right][snapback]622165[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

It seems the sensitivity and depth of the artist makes him more prone to depression. So if this is the artistic temperment, what does that say for his spiritually? Are their any saints who were artists, or were bi-polar, that we are aware of I mean? it seems such a temperment could make for either an amazing saint, ( Jp and BenXVI= very artistic) or a suicide.

(or a powerful evil force, like martin luther had lots of issues but was supposedly an enthraliing speaker- i still think he was meant to be a doctor of the church...and hitler a great saint...)

infinitelord1

My opinion on this topic.........suicide is wrong. For those who commit suicide they are going straight to hell. I dont mean to sound cruel....this does not mean that god doesnt love them or have compassion for them. Im sure god loves satan. No difference. I think they go to hell because god is objective. You cant say something is ok in certain instances. That would be subjective (the opposite of god). I would like to mention one thing though.......jesus will return to judge the living and the dead. This could possibly give people in hell another opportunity to reach heaven.

I think this also applies to someone who had never heard of the son of god. They will go to hell also, but i believe jesus will set them free when he returns.

hell is eternal, you cannot be "set free" from hell

now if you speak of a type of limbo, this is a possibility of theological speculation

[quote name='Semperviva' date='Jun 24 2005, 08:51 PM']Does anyonethink there is a definate reason why artists, poets and such have a higher risk, lol, of suicide then say car mechanics, lawyers, etc.  its quite a strange phenoma/trend through history...maybe this is irrelevent, but i wonder... and another thought...martin Luther and HItler probably had the potential to become the most influential people for the RC church/maybe doctors of the church intheir particular time- but Satan saw that and woulden't let it get by...
[right][snapback]622152[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Actually, the people with the highest rates of suicide are middle aged, white men.

[quote name='Carrie' date='Jun 27 2005, 09:02 AM']Actually, the people with the highest rates of suicide are middle aged, white men.
[right][snapback]625156[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

........middle aged European male artists?......Ahaha....check those statistics...

[quote name='Carrie' date='Jun 27 2005, 09:02 AM']Actually, the people with the highest rates of suicide are middle aged, white men.
[right][snapback]625156[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

<-----shivers

[quote name='Semperviva' date='Jun 27 2005, 11:30 AM']........middle aged European male artists?......Ahaha....check those statistics...
[right][snapback]625167[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Could be! :blink:

[quote name='hot stuff' date='Jun 27 2005, 11:36 AM']<-----shivers
[right][snapback]625170[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

No sharp objects for you then. :P