An Old School Catholic Message Board

attire for Mass

photosynthesis

photosynthesis

Sometimes my grandma and I go to Mass together and she always comments on what people are wearing. People go to Mass at our church in shorts, t-shirts, revealing clothing... She complains that people don't look like they're dressed for church, more like they're dressed for a ball game.

Well, I have been having a dillemma recently in that I don't WANT to wear shorts to church. I really don't like wearing shorts in general, as I am fat and shorts just don't flatter my body and they make me feel self-conscious. But when it's 90 degrees out and you don't have a car, and mass is a mile away...walking in long pants just doesn't seem like an option. I don't have any clean skirts that are machine washable, as they are all dry-clean only.

so...it's 90 degrees out, and i really don't like getting heatstroke (i had it before, it was bad). but there's this little nagging voice of Grandma inside my head that says "you're not at girl scout camp!"

i guess i could just "offer it up" and go to church in slacks. but...it's 90 degrees out. argh. i hate summer.

what do you think people should wear to church?

It didnt really use to be an issue for me as i went in anything as the red and white cassock would cover what i was wearing.
I use to play soccer before church on the small grass field with the other altar servers next to the church, run in get a quick face wash and whip the cassock on and start preparing the chuch before people arrived.

My point is it dont matter what your wear as long as your there. We use to stand in the priest room (thats the room we stand before we come out) and we use to watch people comming in and like you say, they looked more like they were going to a concert or baseball game. I dont really mind what people wear i really wouldnt worry about it :)

The only thing i dont like to see are people wearing caps and hats, i was like 13 and even i knew back then it was wrong.

Edited by TLJC

I think you should wear pants (or a skirt if you have it). I live in Texas and wear a hoodie until it's almost 100 outside...if you don't believe me, ask my friends. They think I'm nuts. :) The trick? Drink tons of water beforehand. :)

it actually DOES matter what people wear because they AREN'T going to a baseball game or a walk in the park but to worship the Lord of Lords and King of Kings so you should care what your appearance says. would you wear whatever you're going to wear to a wedding? to a funeral? to meet hte president? if not, then you should reconsider your Mass attire. this is a topic that my teens have a hard time with since its a LIFETEEN parish and the "teen" Mass is about making them comfortable (blah blah :P) which somehow means wearing jeans and tshirts to mass, which, hate to say , is NOT appropriate.

now that being said, you aren't to be excluded from Mass based on what you wear, you are supposed to dress to the BEST of your ability. and sicne you have to walk to go to Church, and its super hot, slacks don't seem like a good option. i would dress as nicely as possible for now and then invest in a nice jean skirt, linen capri style pants or something similar: cheap, washable and not hot! :)

I sooo disagree with you, there isnt a thing wrong with wearing what you wish for church. It simply is NOT an issue.
Some people cant afford nice clothes, they wear what they have and i think that needs to be respected.

Edited by TLJC

photosynthesis

[quote name='qfnol31' date='Jul 10 2005, 06:11 PM']I think you should wear pants (or a skirt if you have it).  I live in Texas and wear a hoodie until it's almost 100 outside...if you don't believe me, ask my friends.  They think I'm nuts.  :)  The trick?  Drink tons of water beforehand.  :)
[right][snapback]638601[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

yeah, that's nuts. temperature is a relative thing. what's hot to one person might not be hot to another person. maryland has the weirdest weather ever...it's either freezing cold or super hot, and right now it's really humid. i've dealt with 90 degree heat before, but not the humidity part.

i'm just worried that whatever i wear is going to make me so hot, that by the time I get to Mass I'm going to smell like B.O. I'd rather look like a schlump than smell like an animal.

cmotherofpirl

Wear the best you can for the conditions you are likely to encounter.
Heatstroke when walking or fainting at Mass isn't a great idea.

I only wear skirts...day in, day out, everyday,. I wear nicer and more dressy skirts/shirts to Mass.

^like qfnol said, teens have more than t-shirts and jeans. Buying one or two nice outfits isn't going to hurt their wallet THAT much. For older people, they set the example. It bugs me to death when I see adults going to Mass wearing tattered jeans and clothes you'd wear everyday.

You don't really know what peoples lifestyles are like...so I wouldn't really judge on the "oh they might not have enough money to buy nice clothes." That's what thrift stores are for, nice clothes for cheap prices.

ps, you can ride a bike in a skirt. :P I've done it, and it's not that hard. heh.

voiciblanche

[quote name='qfnol31' date='Jul 10 2005, 04:11 PM']I think you should wear pants (or a skirt if you have it).  I live in Texas and wear a hoodie until it's almost 100 outside...if you don't believe me, ask my friends.  They think I'm nuts.  :)  The trick?  Drink tons of water beforehand.  :)
[right][snapback]638601[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

He's totally serious. :mellow:

it isn't an issue at all, i see people in jeans, track suit pants, shorts or whatever.
People can wear what they feel most confident in.
Of course a nice white shirt and black trousers looks smart..
If the Lord saw people arguing over what to wear to church he would be horrified.
However your female and every girl wants to look nice, which is understandable. I am speaking from a male point of view, maybe i should have made that clear.
Although i don't care about what people wear, how they present themselves is impotent. If you have a punk hair cut, pierced nose ect.. then that is disrespectful.

Edited by TLJC

I have this problem too. It's a half hour walk for me to get to mass. I don't mind when it's daily mass and early, but Sundays can be more difficult.

Skirts are a good idea. They're nice for mass, but also, cool to walk in. Also, see if you can't go to an earlier mass when it isn't as hot. Dress as nicely as you can under the weather conditions. God is going to be happen you came. He knows that by walking in the heat, you're making a considerable effort to get there. Dress modestly of course, and dress as nicely as you can but remember that we don't dress to impress anyone at Mass but God. I'm sure you're effort to get to Mass is more pleasing to Him than what you are wearing, as long as you did you're best to dress nicely.

Pax Christi,
Jen

Edited by zunshynn

[quote name='TLJC' date='Jul 10 2005, 03:07 PM']it isnt an issue at all, i see people in jeans, track suit pants, shorts or whatever.
People can wear what they feel most confident in.
Of course a nice white shirt and black trousers looks smart..
If the Lord saw people arguing over what to wear to church he would be horrified.
[right][snapback]638656[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Just because people DO dress like it's a track meet doesn't mean its how people SHOULD dress. Keep in mind that you are going to be seeing the King of Kings, the Great Lord of All. He is as present at every mass as he was on Calvary 2,000 years. He deserves our absolute best. While we shouldn't necessarily argue about it, we should help each other to show our Savior the glory and honor he deserves. Mass isn't about us. It's about God.

Edited by zunshynn

yeah i woulden't go insane but do all u can to "worship the Lord in holy attire" as it says in the Old Testament somewhere... just think...clothes reflect your attitude...they in a sense can change your attitude as well..it works both ways...if u put on a nice dress for a dance you get in the mindset for dancing and fun...when in the presence of a great worldly leader, even a bad one, we show them respect and honor the dignity of their authority by our dress..and you realize its a big deal...doctors wear ppl savinf clothes :D the priest wear his ppl saving robes, lol...we should too haha...but.if you are honestly in danger of heatstroke well then there may be an exception lol...