An Old School Catholic Message Board

attire for Mass

photosynthesis

During the summer and Christmas breaks at my school I used to ride my bike 5 miles to and from Mass at least once a week, and up to three times (we only had 3 Masses a week there :(). That meant anywhere from 20 to 100 degrees. What I did was took a change of clothes to change into in the bathroom so I didn't smell too bad. If someone else was paying attention to my smell, it meant that they probably needed to examine how they were approaching Mass anyways. (Take that last statement with a grain of salt...I don't think people should be [i]purposefully[/i] distracting.

[quote name='qfnol31' date='Jul 10 2005, 11:44 PM']As to Dave, I bet women are also supposed to wear a veil.  :P
[right][snapback]639003[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Actually, at my parish women are highly encouraged to wear a veil, hat, or other head covering, but it isn't mandatory.

OKAY ONE AT A TIME!

It does matter what you wear to church. That is the point! You are going to God's house to visit. You should wear the best you have.

Now casual attire because that is what you are comfortable in is not acceptable. Casual attire because THAT IS ALL YOU HAVE then yes, until you can afford something else I can see that. I would rather you to go to church than not.

However God knows your heart and He knows your life. Don't try to fool him.

Now the mention of "revealing clothing." :bugeyes: Strip joint...yes, Church...no.

You go to church to worship God not so the guy across the aisle can worship you.

My other opinion of revealing clothing is 1) I am not comfortable seeing "body parts I'm not married to." 2) If your self-esteem comes from the attention you receive because of your clothing we need to talk.

I can't remember exactly where it was Mary appeared when she said this. I believe it was Fatima. She said many souls have displeased God because of what they wear and many souls have gone to hell because of what they wear.

WHAT YOU WEAR MATTERS WHETHER IT BE IN CHURCH OR ANYWHERE ELSE. PLEASE THINK ABOUT IT.

PS. Walking shorts (down to the knees) are a good solution.

Edited by ofpheritup

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='ofpheritup' date='Jul 11 2005, 01:29 PM']My other opinion of revealing clothing is 1) I am not comfortable seeing "body parts I'm not married to." .
[right][snapback]639540[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I :wub: this line!!

lifeteenchick527

i normally wear nice jeans and a collared (i hope thats spelt rite) shirt and a mantilla to mass.. is that bad?

God Bless
LTC :hearts:

Yesterday, I was visiting a new parish to check out the neighborhood. In the next pew over was a family -- three generations -- all dressed up. The men were in suits, from grandpa to the 4-year-old boy. The women and girls were in very pretty dresses. It was so nice!

At my home parish I always feel overdressed (I wear, gasp, a skirt.) Next to these people I felt like a slob! :D

is it ok to wear like dress shorts (not like athletic shorts) in the summer time so long as they are long ( I wouldnt wear short shorts anyways- lol)

homeschoolmom

[quote name='ofpheritup' date='Jul 11 2005, 12:29 PM']You are going to God's house to visit. You should wear the best you have.
[right][snapback]639540[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

The best I have is my wedding dress. Should I wear this every week?

I guess that would take care of the veil question...

[quote name='homeschoolmom' date='Jul 11 2005, 05:13 PM']Yeah, that'd look pretty weird... especially with three kids hanging on me... :unsure:
[right][snapback]640072[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

rofl !!