An Old School Catholic Message Board

attire for Mass

photosynthesis

People in Jesus times would only dress in rags for Sabbath if they were beggers. They wore the best they could afford.

Now, it simply will not do to compare Christ's time with our own in this respect. Why? Culture was different then.

What are we to learn from this? Wear nice clothes to Mass.

Why? Cause Wal-Mart, Salvation Army, KMart, Ross, and other stores sell nice clothes for cheap.

Are there less than fortunate people in your parish? Offerm to buiy them some nice clothes for Church. It is important what we wear to Mass/Liturgy. We are going to see the King of the Universe! If you were going to a dinner party with a King or Queen, you wouldn't dress down.

Does this mean we have to dress uncomfortably? Certainly not! There is a wide selcetion of attire that is nice and is comfortable (and cheap!) (see the places listed above).

What do we say when we dress down for Church? We say (by way of physical example) that Church is a place we feel comfortable, a place to be with friends.

Now, one might object to this and say that we should be comfortable and we are with family and friends at Church. This is the point! We go to Mass to worship as a community, not to feel comfortable.

It's a matter of Catechesis here. we shouldn't look down at others. We should be welcoming however, we have to avoid being comfortable in our walk with Christ.

photosynthesis

[quote name='Dudette' date='Jul 10 2005, 06:27 PM']For older people, they set the example. It bugs me to death when I see adults going to Mass wearing tattered jeans and clothes you'd wear everyday. [right][snapback]638615[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I don't have a bike. and i walked to mass in a skirt i borrowed from my roommate, and then a nice old lady offered me a ride home.

as for adults dressing casually for Mass, I can see the logic. I don't necessarily follow it, but I understand.

Most people in the town where I'm from commute into New York City and work high-powered corporate jobs. Every day, they wear business clothes--suits, ties, blazers, skirts, blouses, high heels. Last summer, I worked at a major NYC media conglomerate and I was going to work every day in formal clothes. But the churches in my area are full of upper-middle-class adults in shorts and t-shirts, and I can see why they wouldn't want to dress formally in their Sunday best...because they're wearing their Sunday best every day of the week.

These people *can* afford nice clothes. They just have to wear them every day.

[quote]Most people in the town where I'm from commute into New York City and work high-powered corporate jobs. Every day, they wear business clothes--suits, ties, blazers, skirts, blouses, high heels. Last summer, I worked at a major NYC media conglomerate and I was going to work every day in formal clothes. But the churches in my area are full of upper-middle-class adults in shorts and t-shirts, and I can see why they wouldn't want to dress formally in their Sunday best...because they're wearing their Sunday best every day of the week.[/quote]

That's precisely why I do wear smart clothes to Mass....if it's important to dress smartly for work, how much more important when going to church? It's a matter of respect.....

Besides there are two days in the weekend....slob out on the other day!

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='TLJC' date='Jul 10 2005, 06:07 PM']it isn't an issue at all, i see people in jeans, track suit pants, shorts or whatever.
People can wear what they feel most confident in.
Of course a nice white shirt and black trousers looks smart..
If the Lord saw people arguing over what to wear to church he would be horrified.
However your female and every girl wants to look nice, which is understandable. I am speaking from a male point of view, maybe i should have made that clear.
Although i don't care about what people wear, how they present themselves is impotent. If you have a punk hair cut, pierced nose ect..  then that is disrespectful.
[right][snapback]638656[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Confidence is not the issue, proper respect for Mass is. Remember the parable of the wedding feast? The King threw out everyone not properly attired. It does matter what we wear. It not our house it is the Lords. Hair color and piercings are more acceptable than cutoffs and a T shirt.

You can be respectful and properly dressed on any budget.

Many people say that "God doesn't care what we look like; He's just glad we're there." I'm sure there is a lot of truth to that statement, though I've never interviewed God on the subject. Still, I've often wondered why we go to great lengths to look our best on certain occasions and not others. Isn't our outward appearance a reflection of our inner attitudes?

To me, it is not a question of God "caring" what we look like; God's love is a constant given. The real question is whether or not we care what we look like in God's presence. This is why Christians have always been encouraged to truly dress "up" when we gather for worship. It is an outward recognition that what we are gathering for is truly something very important and meaningful.

...with a little common sense we can dress casually and still reflect an attitude of reverence. For instance, short-shorts; grungy jeans, shirts, and athletic shoes; flimsy footwear; and tank-tops should never be worn to Church. Clean t-shirts are acceptable, providing they are not embellished with crude graphics.

Let's not forget that proper dress also includes good grooming habits. At the very least, face and hands should be clean, teeth brushed, and hair brushed or combed. :D

photosynthesis

I honestly don't believe God really cares what we wear, as long as we're modest and dress appropriately according to our state in life. Pope St. Peter told women in the early Church,

"Let not yours be the outward adorning with braiding of hair, decoration of gold, and wearing of fine clothing, but let it be the hidden person of the heart with the imperishable jewel of a gentle and quiet spirit, which in God's sight is very precious." (1 Pet. 3:3-4)

God knows our hearts. He doesn't want us to be unhealthily obsessed with the way we look. What matters is what's on the inside, but we should do our best to have reverence for God's house. and we also shouldn't treat someone differently if he's dressed like a bum.

[quote name='photosynthesis' date='Jul 10 2005, 04:01 PM']so...it's 90 degrees out, and i really don't like getting heatstroke (i had it before, it was bad).  but there's this little nagging voice of Grandma inside my head that says "you're not at girl scout camp!"

i guess i could just "offer it up" and go to church in slacks.  but...it's 90 degrees out.  argh.  i hate summer.

[right][snapback]638597[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Since you are prone to heatstroke, this becomes a medical issue for you. Risking one's health when not necessary and deciding to "offer it up" is not devotion - it's risky stupidity! Before long people will have you drinking kool-aid from a vat in the jungles of Guyana.

Two things I might offer:

1) Carry a bottle of water with you - it does not break the Eucharistic fast. That might be a way of avoidng heatstroke while not wearing shorts. See if that works.
2) Wear a baseball cap to help protect your head from the sun. It doesn't matter if you wear shorts or slacks - protect your head.

photosynthesis

[quote name='cappie' date='Jul 10 2005, 08:48 PM']Let's not forget that proper dress also includes good grooming habits. At the very least, face and hands should be clean, teeth brushed, and hair brushed or combed.  :D
[right][snapback]638719[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I was at my friend's (protestant) church where the pastor did a sermon on hygeine... it sounds ridiculous, and it is ridiculous, but some people really do need to take a shower.

take a backpack with long pants or a skirt in it, make sure to get there a few minutes before, and use the bathroom to change ;)

I hate immodesty in church- its really hard to concentrate on God when you have a hoochie skirt right in ur face- its like I have to deal with this in the real world can I at least have a break in church??

I try and wear nicer clothes to church than I normally would- like I try and wear a collared shirt like a polo or something and in the summer a nice pair of shorts but i think it would be a bit awkward to come in in a suit

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='photosynthesis' date='Jul 10 2005, 07:55 PM']I honestly don't believe God really cares what we wear, as long as we're modest and dress appropriately according to our state in life.  Pope St. Peter told women in the early Church,

"Let not yours be the outward adorning with braiding of hair, decoration of gold, and wearing of fine clothing, but let it be the hidden person of the heart with the imperishable jewel of a gentle and quiet spirit, which in God's sight is very precious."  (1 Pet. 3:3-4)

God knows our hearts.  He doesn't want us to be unhealthily obsessed with the way we look.  What matters is what's on the inside, but we should do our best to have reverence for God's house.  and we also shouldn't treat someone differently if he's dressed like a bum.
[right][snapback]638724[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Nobody mentioned being obsessed by clothing, or treating anyone differently for what they wear.. .Gods house simply deserves respect.
Respect is shown by wearing the best you can under the circumstances you are in. What other people wear is their business unless it is causing scandal, then it is the business of the priest.

photosynthesis

[quote name='Aloysius' date='Jul 10 2005, 09:41 PM']take a backpack with long pants or a skirt in it, make sure to get there a few minutes before, and use the bathroom to change ;)
[right][snapback]638755[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
that's creative. i'll have to try that next time it's hot...instead of walking a mile in a skirt, which is uncomfortable for reasons i care not to go into.

At my parish we have a dress code. We're not obliged to wear suits and ties, but the dress code DOES require us to be modest. That means:

-- no shorts or short skirts (skirts must at least cover your knees when you sit down).
-- nothing sleeveless or backless.
-- nothing that exposes your shoulders or midriff.
-- no low-cut blouses.
-- no tight clothing that shows off your body.
-- no t-shirts.

That's not to say that there are clothes police at my parish. I mean, if someone comes inappropriately dressed, they probably won't be admonished the first time, but if they continue, then they might be.