An Old School Catholic Message Board

Question for anyone

TLJC

Guest advice_girl

[quote name='Eremite' date='Jul 11 2005, 10:07 AM']Here's a more likely scenario:

A person confesses to the priest that he molested children. The confession is sincere, his repentance is sincere, he receives absolution, etc.

The person subsequently joins the parish, and gets involved with various groups in the parish. He volunteers to help out with CCD, and with the youth group.

Can the priest forbid his participation in these groups, based on what he knows from the confession?
[right][snapback]639325[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

That probably wouldn't happen. There are measures in place where background checks are run before being allowed to work with children.

*Prayers are the best defense*

*advice_girl*

Hi Will, just time for one more quick follow up question based on your saying the following:
""This type of confession would be what many protestants actually accuse catholics of believing, essentially that you go into a little booth, tell a priest what you've done and BAM you're forgivin even if you were un-repentant""

Isn't it true that if the priest pronounces the person forgiven, they are forgiven, regardless if they really are repentent or not.? Maybe I am wrong on that but it seems to me if the priest has Christs authority then the spoken word would be enough. Once it is declared then it would be. (that sort of thing)

Another question poped into my head. What if the priest doing the confession is steeped in some type of sin. Maybe they joined the priesthood to get away from something and don't even believe what they say they do. If the non-Christian priest gives absolution, is the sin of the confessor forgiven? (I really think this could happen to one degree or another - there are fake pastors in probably every denomination).

Advice girl, now really answer the question otherwise your name will be changed to the "No-advice Girl"

In Christ,
Brian

Brother Adam

Nuts I was hoping my post would be addressed.

[quote]To make "water and spirit" in John 3 equal Baptsim is like stretching a gumby figurine into Batman[/quote]

I could say the same thing about your interpretation. For Jesus to say "You have to be really born and then say you believe in me to enter the New Covenant" wouldn't have made any sense to the people he was addressing. Well duh you have to be born from the womb. Rather, if we look at the concepts of covenantal rebirth we find that it is separate from the 'baptism in the spirit' in Acts, Corinthians, and Romans. Remember, Jesus wasn't speaking to 21st century Protestants who follow the doctrines of man (Calvin, Luther, Wesley, Zwingli, et.al.). :)

Secondly, of course a person would not receive the forgiveness of his sins if he is not repentant.

Third, no, the person would not end up a CCD teacher. Yes there are background checks, and yes the priest can, as part of the confession attach turning themselves in as the penance in order to complete the absolution. If the penance is sluffed off, then there is no absolution. The only way he would end up a CCD teacher is if no one, not even the priest knew about his molesting children, and he had never been charged with a crime. It would be tragic if he hurt anyone, but it would not be because of the neglect of the Church or anyone else anymore than if a Baptist minister molests children when no one knew he was capable of it.

Edited by Brother Adam

Briguy,
You had the complete answer long ago. A priest is the avenue of God's grace. God's grace is not limited or tainted by the priest. Grace is neve forced upon us against God's will. God wills it that His grace may come to us through a priest, but that's not the only way.

Hi Adam, sorry I did not respond to your earlier post. I re-read it and like all your posts it was well done and thought provoking. Since there are at least two possible things that I could respond to, which thing did you have in mind and I will respond to that point. (Loose and bind? Prodigal son?) let me know.

Jasjis, please expound or clarify your post, maybe I need it simplified. Thanks!

In Christ,
Brian