An Old School Catholic Message Board

Public Schools or Home Schools..

White Knight

White Knight

I have to say Ive been to Public Schools all my life, and I have to say I'm not impressed with how they run their agenda. Its very unorganized, full of propaganda, very limited on resources to teach students a proper education, without or hardly any Baiesy. Its a very un-healthy way to teach students a way to learn in my opinion. Public Schools are okay for social gatherings, but not very effective in the education process which is why your even there in the first place.

Home Schooling on the other hand, Ive had friends and family over the years and currently now who are Home Schooled or have been Home Schooled. From what Ive seen and heard, its a very healthy learning style, you aren't nearly as limited as you would be in a PSS (Public School System); theres more to learn, you aren't as distracted by people who dont wanna learn anything, You aren't influeanced by Drugs, Sex, and Drinking as much or at all. It seems to be very posititve in the students later life, after high school and schooling in general. They like to teach their students with a broader spand of education. and aren't nearly as Baiest as Public School Systems. Only down fall from what I can see is, if you dont get out much, your limiting your social life. inless you already have friends you can hang around with or even go online and chat with. Home Schooling seems to be very much greater than Public Schools.

Whats your take on it? are you a Public School Person or Home Schooled Person, or both, which were you brought up as?

Let the Debate begin.

White Knight

No actually, any public school system, in any country would do, just fine to diccuss about, it stretches the boader to this anyway.

i would like to say public, but then the kid has to learn there way unless they ask the teacher to jump ahead. Home schoolin if your kid would study on there own and ask for help time to time,but the thing is s/he must like studin.
and then there are the clicks, but that can be on a diff thread.

homeschoolmom

[quote name='RandomProddy' date='Jul 20 2005, 02:43 AM']Public schools are awesome.

Oh wait, you mean the American type....
[right][snapback]650725[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

:lol:

How is it that you label your schools again? "Public" means private and "government" means public? Something like that, right?

homeschoolmom

Wow... I think that this is such a broad question.... In fact, everytime it comes up I cringe... Are there some homeschools that are better than some public schools? Yes. Are there some public schools that are better than some homeschools? Yes. Are public schools in general better at some things than homeschools? Sure. Are homeschools better at some things than public schools? Yep.

So, there you go.

[color=blue] What homeschoolmom said :)

I think homeschooling has some fantastic benefits and public school has some definite problems. But I always try to keep in mind the reason why public schools developed in the first place: because of the necessity to educate everyone in a democracy. Private tutors and homeschool learning are generally only available to those of a certain financial income. In my opinion, under that system, the great majority of underprivileged children or children without interested parents with a sufficient amount of time would be left at a much more grave disadvantage than the position even the problematic education of public schools places them in.
[/color]

Edited by Snowcatpa

son_of_angels

I would say, in general, when one has four or more kids of a wide range of ages, homeschool might be your best option, especially when they are part of a tight knit Catholic community so they can still have some social interaction. Apart from that I think a good Catholic boarding school would be best.

That being said, I went to public school and have never regretted it. Public school helps the student to find friends and learn how to deal with people of all different faiths and lifestyles. Of course, in order for this to be beneficial they have to be able to know what sort of lifestyle THEY are to lead as Catholic Christians. Yet knowing that you are not the only one with an opinion keeps you firmly rooted in reality.

If one has less than, say, three kids, I think boarding school, private school, or public school is a MUCH better option than home school.

I think home school is a good option, if u have the time and $$ b/c my friend Chris was homeschooled and he's really smart, he was reading 12th grade stuff when we were only 7 yrs old. but the thing that sux is that if ur friends go to public school, u feel lost in the dust b/c they talk about school and extra curriculars and u have no idea what they're talking about. I know this b/c when my sister did Brownies, one of the girls was homeschooled and had no idea what the other girls were talking about. Public schools can be great if they cater to the needs of all the students and try not to be biased and if they weren't bent on covering the whole textbook instead of making sure we get something out of it, also they can be great if ur town makes sure to vote yes on the school budget. but that can be hard if u have alot of ppl in ur town who only care about not having to pay more taxes. but public school is awesome since u learn about different cultures and u have to learn how to get along w/others and tolerate them b/c that stuff is important in life, in the work place and ur relationship w/God.

I've worked with a home school grading work, and can attest that while homeschooling's great for some, it's only worth what you put into it. Homeschooling takes effort and teaching ability on the part of the parents. It's no magic bullet.

I believe both homeschooling and public schools have their negatives and their positives. I believe some children can handle public school and some can handle homeschooling.

I do believe that rural public schools aren't bad at all. I've been in small rural public schools all my life. There wasn't any really bad behavior and classes weren't overcrowded, like a lot of public schools are. The HS I went to had about 800 students total. And everyone literally knew everyone else.

So in my opinion some public schools are better than others.

voiciblanche

No love for private schools, eh?

I went to a small Catholic elementary school that was great. Good Catholic high schools, however, are extremely hard to find.

we have an awesome Catholic school in Danbury (i decided not to go however, i want to graduate HS w/my friends) it's called Immaculate and its really cool

Schooling, whether it is public, private, or home, really like you all have said, depends on the "administration."

Education in America in general is in crisis.

If you want sound Catholic education for your child as part of a daily regimine, don't count on public schools, you just won't get it.

I have considered doing a combination of homeschooling and private schooling. I would like to actually start or pariticipate in the administration and planning of that private schooling.

I hope to organize it so that parents would in part teach or directly "aid" with thier own children. This would create a partial home-schooling environment. At the same time, the children would have a lot of social interaction with other children.

Of course, there is no "magic bullet" as Socrates suggests. You have to always hope and pray and keep the Faith, follow God's Will try your best!