An Old School Catholic Message Board

Public Schools or Home Schools..

White Knight

homeschoolmom

Honestly, socialization is not a problem-- really. Unless you live in a very, very remote area, it's just not an issue.

[quote name='Socrates' date='Jul 20 2005, 12:52 PM']I've worked with a home school grading work, and can attest that while homeschooling's great for some, it's only worth what you put into it.  Homeschooling takes effort and teaching ability on the part of the parents.  It's no magic bullet.
[right][snapback]651119[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

All of that depends on the curriculum though ,a parent doesnt need a degree in order to teach her/his child,if they have a good curriculum. My mom doesnt ,and I know as much as any ordinary Senior in highschool ,sometimes its just the books that teach me,actually half the time ,I just read what I am suppost to and take the test ,I dont really need my Mother that much.

Like everyone else said, it depends on the situation/circumstances. I know some people who hated homeschooling, and some who loved it. I know some who hated public schooling, and some who loved it. It's all about experiences, the learning enviorement, and the quality of the education.

[quote name='reelguy227' date='Jul 20 2005, 06:46 PM']All of that depends on the curriculum though ,a parent doesnt need a degree in order to teach her/his child, if they have a good curriculum.
[right][snapback]651714[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]That can actually depend on which state you're in. Some states require that homeschooling parents have had at least a certain level of education.

There are pros and cons about every type of schooling. These factors can be relative to the area in which you're being educated (is it a poor or a wealthy area, are there money-management problems within the school system?), as well as relative to who is running the school and what their philosophy is (do they really care about being a successful school? What do they want their students to learn?).

I've been homeschooled, public schooled, and private schooled (Catholic and Protestant), so I can offer some of my (mostly subjective) views on schooling.

I personally hated going to public school, though most of that probably had to do with it being one of the worst public high schools in the state. . . . In that particular school, the teachers had no sense of discipline. If somebody threw a ball in a science lab and broke a beaker, they wouldn't say a word. If someone threw a condom in your face, they wouldn't care. Fights broke out regularly. The teachers also weren't very dedicated to doing their job . . . sometimes teachers in the area I'm in go on strike and won't help out their students. I was bored in class and didn't feel that I was challenged at all or that I learned much. I had a bad experience, but I know that it's not like that everywhere. If the teachers care, if it's a good school, you will learn and be challenged. You won't be able to talk about God or pray, but you'll probably get a decent education if it's a good school.

I liked being private (Catholic) schooled, although partly because of what my parents taught me outside of school, the Catholic schools didn't always deepen my knowledge of Theology. Some Catholic schools really stress teaching their students about Catholicism. Some just think that if you know Jesus loves you, you're all set. The degree of orthodoxy in Catholic schools can depend on the diocese, the administration, the teachers, the school board, the parental involvement. But academic-wise, Catholic schools are usually superior to public schools.

I would say that homeschooling, overall, was the best experience I had. I was able to work at my own pace (I needed a little extra time and assistance with subjects like Math, while I was way ahead of my class with subjects like Reading and History). My parents (well, it was my mother who did most of the teaching) were very dedicated to what they were doing and wouldn't let us goof off. I had such a good experience with it that I would like to homeschool my own children (when I'm married and have children).

But there is no single answer for this question. If homeschooling parents aren't doing their job, obviously homeschooling isn't going to work in that situation. If public or private school teachers aren't doing their jobs, there's going to be a problem there as well. I think for the most part, most homeschooling families do well because they care enough about their kids to teach them themselves. So many homeschooling kids do well simply because their parents put in so much effort to help them to do well. There are cases where this isn't true, but there are always exceptions to the rule.

Laudate_Dominum

I think it depends on the quality of the public school and the quality of what the parents have to offer in terms of homeschool. In our country the public schools are so bad that I would definitely homeschool.
There are homeschooling communities too. I know families that homeschool their kinds together which is cool because some of the people I know were taught by Scott Hahn and other cool people like that growing up. :)

I have only been to public schools and homeschool. In homeschool I learned a lot more, keeping well ahead of school. However, I goofed off quite often, and my brother never did his work. In his case, it hurt him, and I ended up doing better in high school.

Public school was trashy for me, and it really was a pretty trashy school. However, I learned better how to deal with other people, an experience I lacked in homeschool. I did learn discipline my freshman year, but that went out the window. However, that discipline did come back for college.

It depends much on the parents and their commitment, my mother was always busy. :(

[quote name='Cam42' date='Jul 20 2005, 05:48 PM']Personally, I like Catholic Schools.....I am a product of one.....actually 4.
[right][snapback]651646[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

what'd you keep getting kicked out for arguing with your teachers about true catholicism :rolling:

White Knight

Reason why I didn't include Private Schools is because the onyl difference in Public Schools and Private Schools from what I know is, that one accepts and teaches or can teach religion in class rooms. Public Schools can't thats the onyl difference, and plus Private Schools can be just as Baiest as Public Schools or even home schools.

[quote name='White Knight' date='Jul 20 2005, 11:24 PM']Reason why I didn't include Private Schools is because the onyl difference in Public Schools and Private Schools from what I know is, that one accepts and teaches or can teach religion in class rooms. Public Schools can't thats the onyl difference, and plus Private Schools can be just as Baiest as Public Schools or even home schools.
[right][snapback]652058[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Yes, private schools can be just as biased, as can homeshooling, this is true. However, with public schools, you're pretty much stuck with the school you're zoned into, unless you qualify for a magnet school, if they exist in your area. You're also stuck with whatever craziness the school board decides, whether you agree with it or not. With private schools, you can at least shop around for a bias you find acceptable.

In practice, it seems public schools concept of disciplining the students is laughable, if it even exists. (I admit that my public school knowledge is limited.) In homeschool or private school, there is more leverage in the discipline, which alone can account for the academic differences. It's much easier to learn with nobody getting into shouting matches, ignoring the teacher, etc.

Being able to express religion is paramount, don't you think? In the current maligned interpretation of the 1st amendment, you can't pray in public schools or have any sort of religious gathering. If it weren't for my teachers and classmates evangelizing me, I probably would have forsaken Catholicism a number of years ago.

White Knight

[b]scardella:[/b] [b]Correct.[/b]

But its easier said than Done. sometimes you have to experience something inorder to know if there Baist or not, Private Schooling, Public Schooling, Home Schooling, Magnet Schooling, what ever.

Sometimes you can tell whos Baiest right off that bat, or other times you have to do alittle bit of work on your own part to discover baiestness throughout certian schools, Public, Private, and Even Home (Depending on the Parents.)

Edited by White Knight

Alright...here is my take on this. I was very fortunate i had the opportunity to go to a small mennonite school for my k-8 and then to a very well run orthodox Jesuit school for now 9-12. So it was perfect for me and it is much better then the public schools or even some of the more elite private schools (they can be JUST as dangerous).

• 2 weeks later...

I think that homeschooling is better. you can go (unless you're in some of the charters) as fast as you want! I went though 2 greads in 4 months...my program is diferent then most: you take a test for the subject that you've finished (you can be in 8th gread math and 10th grade Science) and once you're finished, your perant checks what you need to study more, like addition etc. and that's how it works!!

A+ ALS
www.amered.com

Are you kidding? That's like asking "which is faster, riding a bicycle forwards or backwards." If the public school system were a business, it would go bankrupt immediately.

Soccer 15 SWC

Public schools can be good or bad. It depends on where you live. For example. My public school is better then most private schools. Also What makes public schools better then home school is that it forces a person to interact and cooperate with fellow students to reach a commen goal which is a norm in most jobs. Plus they force you to develop public skills which are very important.