An Old School Catholic Message Board

Public Schools or Home Schools..

White Knight

unless you're in a Park Group like I am...then you have Choir and a bunch of other stuff for us homeschoolers!!!

homeschooling allows you to learn to cooperate for a common goal with people of all different ages, as opposed to those in your "grade level" which is ACTUALLY the norm in most jobs. and you can develop public "skills" lots of places besides school!

homeschoolmom

"Oh, hi. You're new here at the company? And you're... 22? Oh okay... well, the 22 year olds are over in that cubical section over there. So, go take one of those. Be careful of the 27 year old section-- they can be vicious to new people. Whatever they say to you, just ignore them. If you finish your project before 5:00, there are some extra credit projects to keep you busy until it's time to go home-- like find the company slogan in a word find, etc. If you need to go to the lavatory, please raise your hand really high (it's hard to see over the cubical) and if no one else has left to go, you can be excused to use it. Or you can wait until the bathroom break time at 11. At 12:00 we will all line up and march down to the cafeteria. Whatever work you don't finish today you will need to take home and work on until you are done. Your paycheck will come once a quarter. Enjoy your stay. "

[quote] Also What makes public schools better then home school is that it forces a person to interact and cooperate with fellow students to reach a commen goal which is a norm in most jobs. Plus they force you to develop public skills which are very important. [/quote]

I agree, I think public schools are good because aside from the fact that you get a great education, they do teach kids how to interact with each other, and how to cooperate. In a public school you are exposed to kids who may be very different from you but you still have to learn how to deal with them, which is how life is anyway.

I went to Catholic school for K-8 at a small elementary school then to an "elite" Catholic high school for 9-12....they both taught terrible theology, and I learned nothing except how to research for myself...which was a good lesson anyway. I have had really bad experiences with liberal teachers and administration. Religion was the BOTTOM of the totem pole at both schools. It was bad....I pray that I can home school my kids.

[quote name='zwergel88' date='Aug 4 2005, 07:13 AM']I agree, I think public schools are good because aside from the fact that you get a great education, they do teach kids how to interact with each other, and how to cooperate.  In a public school you are exposed to kids who may be very different from you but you still have to learn how to deal with them, which is how life is anyway.
[right][snapback]671490[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

that's why allot of homeschoolers have like, 7-8 brothers and sisters! like my friend Liam, he is a twin (and the only boy) whith his sister. He is the oldest and has 6more sisters!

You get the same sort of thing with home school groups. A few kids in one classroom learning the same stuff. I don't know what you're talking about with the "great education" and "great social skills" argument towards public school. You get to learn all about how the US was evil and the Native Americans should get their land back. Or that there is no God and evolution (an unproven theory) is completely factual. Some of the most immature people I've met were public schoolers. I don't think I've ever met a homeschooler that became a complete nutjob drunk once they got to college. Public schools though seem to be a breeding ground for such behavior.

[quote name='homeschoolmom' date='Jul 20 2005, 06:40 AM']Wow... I think that this is such a broad question.... In fact, everytime it comes up I cringe... Are there some homeschools that are better than some public schools? Yes. Are there some public schools that are better than some homeschools? Yes. Are public schools in general better at some things than homeschools? Sure. Are homeschools better at some things than public schools? Yep.

So, there you go.
[right][snapback]650806[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

:D:

goldenchild17

[quote name='homeschoolmom' date='Jul 20 2005, 06:29 PM']Honestly, socialization is not a problem-- really. Unless you live in a very, very remote area, it's just not an issue.
[right][snapback]651690[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Yeah, not sure why that seems to be such a common theme against it... Anyways, I have to say that I believe homeschooling is overall a better way for a child to get his/her education.

goldenchild17

[quote name='homeschoolmom' date='Aug 4 2005, 06:46 AM']"Oh, hi. You're new here at the company? And you're... 22? Oh okay... well, the 22 year olds are over in that cubical section over there. So, go take one of those. Be careful of the 27 year old section-- they can be vicious to new people. Whatever they say to you, just ignore them. If you finish your project before 5:00, there are some extra credit projects to keep you busy until it's time to go home-- like find the company slogan in a word find, etc. If you need to go to the lavatory, please raise your hand really high (it's hard to see over the cubical) and if no one else has left to go, you can be excused to use it. Or you can wait until the bathroom break time at 11. At 12:00 we will all line up and march down to the cafeteria. Whatever work you don't finish today you will need to take home and work on until you are done. Your paycheck will come once a quarter. Enjoy your stay. "
[right][snapback]671468[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
:D: :lol_roll: :lol_pound::rolling:

Edited by goldenchild17

homeschoolmom

[quote name='kateri05' date='Aug 5 2005, 01:05 AM']ahahah hsmom :lol: :rolling:  i'm totally using that for the "socialization" arguments!
[right][snapback]672820[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
NO! That's the "homeschool's not the real world and public school is" defense...

homeschoolmom

[quote name='zwergel88' date='Aug 4 2005, 08:13 AM']I agree, I think public schools are good because aside from the fact that you get a great education, [b]they do teach kids how to interact with each other, and how to cooperate. [/b] In a public school you are exposed to kids who may be very different from you but you still have to learn how to deal with them, which is how life is anyway.
[right][snapback]671490[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

No, they don't. They don't [i]teach[/i] social skills or how to interact with others. Children (no matter where they are educated) learn [i]how[/i] to deal with others at home (either explicitly or implicitly) well before they are school age and continue learning as their parents model it for them. They get to practice what they learn at school. But homeschoolers get practice at co-op, church, classes etc.

What I find funny is that when I was in school, we were told "You're here to learn. You're NOT here to socialize." Now everyone claims that children [i]need[/i] to go to school to socialize. I guess the focus of school has changed since I was there...