FaustinaVianney Posted December 4, 2003 Posted December 4, 2003 Fr Burn's new devotion is Our Lady of Good Counsel. He got to say Mass there when he was in Rome in September. Hmm Our Lady for a Vocation Retreat... Does anyone else feel as if they aren't suffering enough for God? Ya know what I mean? As if your own life is too good and you want to suffer more so that others will have a better life. Not necessarily a good superficial life, but even a good spiritual life. Does this make sense? I would give my education up in a heart beat, which is kinda sad because I'm in my last year of college, but if it would help a poor soul than isn't it worth it? Don't you want to be called to such greatness?? There are these poor kids/families in a district called 'Over the Rhine' in downtown cinci. I help out at a pregnancy center down there and it just breaks my heart to see how some/most of them live. Most of them don't pray, don't have food, etc. It just hurts to see people like that...I don't know I don't know "If you are doing what you should be you will set the world on fire." St Catherine of Sienna *HUGS-n-PEACE* :)
FaustinaVianney Posted December 4, 2003 Posted December 4, 2003 Okay after posting that quote from St Catherine I'm really liking the idea of having her as our Saint. Ya know we want to set the world on fire with what we are supposed to do whether that be married life or Rel life...hmm just a thought..
JuCa Posted December 4, 2003 Author Posted December 4, 2003 yeah, Fr. Dusty told me about that! What an amazing experience that would have been. Our Lady would be amesome for a vocations retreat. She is the perfect example of someone to follow- she said "YES!" We also need to say "Yes" when God is calling us to do something. Good thinking FaustinaVianney! And I know what you mean by suffering. We have it so good in this world. There are so many people that need us spiritually and physically. At times though...I think that I don't think enough about suffering more. Now, does that make sense? I wish I wanted to suffer more without really thinking about...hmm it would be good to sacrifice this or that. I want it to be this natural feeling! I definitely feel like I do not do enough. It would be so great to just give it all up!!!!! I can't stand living in this secular world because it truly has a big impact on the way I think and do things. As I sit here and stare at my own computer, camera, bed, clothes, covers, ect...I think....this is NOT suffering. There are people who don't have any of this. It is sad. How can one be transformed? I would find it so hard living out here and not living with this stupid luxuries. I wish it weren't like this.
sista2b Posted December 4, 2003 Posted December 4, 2003 I think Marys a great idea, actually i was going to bring it up. Fr. Burns got this scapular/w Our Lady of Good COunsel, pretty sweet. our class was invited to the q and a session w/ the holy men in black. and yes Fr. was nervous. We came in a little late since it wasn't our class so i was in the back sitting on a table. He made certain facial gestures at diff. things, kinda reading each others expressions back and forth. Kym was sitting right next to me and didn't quite get it what was going on. He did great though. of course. I told him he and Fr. TOny have a fan club.
FaustinaVianney Posted December 4, 2003 Posted December 4, 2003 I agree with you JuCa it is hard to live in our society and not have the things we have. It smells of elderberries. I've recently given most of my things away because I just couldn't handle having it all. I gave away most of my cd's, my scanner, digital camera, clothes galore, my radio (I miss it sooo much!), and other things. I have the least of all my friends, but I still feel as if I have too much. I don't like to go out because I don't like to waste money on entertainment when I could use it to buy a Religious book that would help my spirituality, etc. But then are times when I'm like oh man why can't I have that or why can't I afford to go there! It's so sad. I don't like it when I get weak like that, but that's when I'm made aware of Christ's presence and He allows me to see that I don't need that 'stuff' or I don't need to go somewhere. sista2b-Fr Burns told me about his scapular, but I haven't seen it. He has the most amesome stuff. He's so holy!!! I think I'm going to the priory to say the Office with the holy Dominicans tonight.. I need big time prayers for many reasons!!! Our Lady of Good Counsel, ora pro nobis *HUGS-n-PEACE* :)
FaustinaVianney Posted December 5, 2003 Posted December 5, 2003 Alrighty, I have a proposition for y'all...I've talked with the sisters here in cinci and they can get together with a few of us over Christmas break. They are going back to the Motherhouse over Christmas but will be back Dec 29th. Their school starts the 5th, which is prolly the same time as the high schools. They also are free Jan 10th. So, any takers??? Here's an idea...We could come up one afternoon. Go around Cinci look at the old Churches, St Anthoy's shrine, the pregnancy center (just to see what's it's like), the Holy Spirit Center that has perpetual adoration, and visit the holy friars and brothers (we could even say the Office and go to Mass with them). We can stay in my apartment, which IS NOT big at all, but there is a floor and a couch and someone can sleep in my bed, and if my roomie's gone someone can sleep in her bed. So, just let me know if anyone wants to come and then we'll get a date set up. Oh, these are Dominicans they are from Nashville. They just have one of their missions here in Cinci and the parish is run by the friars. How amesome! Holy Dominicans everywhere!!! Just let me know... Our Lady of Good Counsel, ora pro nobis. :)
sista2b Posted December 5, 2003 Posted December 5, 2003 i can't come the 29th, my bro's graduating from boot camp. maybe jan. i don't know.
FaustinaVianney Posted December 5, 2003 Posted December 5, 2003 They are free from the 29th-the 5th of Jan.
JuCa Posted December 5, 2003 Author Posted December 5, 2003 I would love to come! It's just working it into my schedule. I know I can't be gone for long periods of time. I just started a new job and I can't be asking off. I have no clue what my schedule is like. I will hopefully find out more on Monday. But it would be amesome to at least spend a day or two with them!
JuCa Posted December 5, 2003 Author Posted December 5, 2003 (edited) :D i had to edit b/c i double posted, woops Edited December 5, 2003 by JuCa
hopeful1 Posted December 5, 2003 Posted December 5, 2003 sorry i jumped into this topic kinda late. i've never really thought much about being a nun, (actually my dad had something to do with being turned off to it, but more on that later) until this year. It's always been a dream of mine to get married and have children, but recently i've been wondering if i'm really ment for marriage. Theres alot that concerns me about the whole thing, sometimes i'm just wondering if i'm considering going into the convent out of dispair. i posted my this on lifeteen if you want to check it out http://www.lifeteen.com/TeenTalk.asp?Actio...wBoard&ID=27766 i guess i'm a little more open to it than i have in the past, i've met some cool, goofy nuns ( and i say that with love) that kind of changed my perspective of the vocation. I think the sad thing about the mindset of kids in catholic schools ( and probably just about anyone else that doesn't have exposure to religious life) is that the word "nun" has almost become the equivalent of "spinster" or "old maid" was back in victorian times, or think they have to have live up to perfect standards that are impossible to live out. That and many of the kids don't have much exposure to the religious life outside of sunday mass. i have a friend of mine whose family was really close to the pastor of my church, and told one guy that they had dinner with him and the other guy was like "whoa....what the heck do you guys talk about?" it's so different when you go online and read about REAL catholics that actually consider the vocation, there's so much more support. that's why its so cool that you guys are talking about it on here.
FaustinaVianney Posted December 5, 2003 Posted December 5, 2003 Hopeful1, hun I'm so sorry to hear that your father would make fun of you for getting an A in religion class. Becoming a Rel is something very special and I'm so glad that you are opening up to such a vocation. I, too, used to be totally turned off because I wanted a husband and childrenand other reasons. I think most of us would love such a calling, but we love God so much that we want to be where ever He needs us most. I know what you mean about finding a place to talk to REAL Catholics. I go go to a Catholic University, but no one knows the Faith. It seems as if the Jesuits don't know the faith very well. I know they are good people devoting their lives to God, but they want to incorporate everyone at the expense of taking away from our Faith, and it smells of elderberries. Most of the Jesuits I've talked to don't talk about prayer. How can you be a priest/brother and not talk about prayer?!? Girl, continue to be open to whatever God's Will is. Continue praying to Him and ask for Him to reveal to you what you should do. There will always be doubts. The devil will ALWAYS try to take you away from the Good Lord. There are no perfect answers we just have to keep praying for the wisdom to know what is of God and what isn't. God calls us all in different ways, so I can't tell you what God wants from you, but He will tell you, just listen...Have a Blessed day and know of my prayers!!! "If you were doing what you were supposed to you would catch the world on fire." St Catherine of Siena *HUGS-n-PEACE* :)
JuCa Posted December 6, 2003 Author Posted December 6, 2003 Hopeful1 it is good to have you on board! I love hearing of more women thinking about religious life. I think we are all on the same boat. Would love to have families...but open to whatever God leads us to do. A family would be wondeful- have many kids and foster their vocations! But- if that is not what God is calling us to do...we may not fill fulfilled. Of course we will never be totally fulfilled for we will always desire more of whatever it may be. A good friend nun of mine once wrote me this when I was thinking of religious life. This is her response to an email that I may have told her of how I felt attracted and at home in the monastery. The first reaction is from God and then human doubts and reasonings come in, or even the little demon muddies the waters, and we get confused. God is not in the muddy water so you would do well to avoid it and cling to our Bl. Mother when the clouds of doubt and confusion try to invade your soul. Our God is a God of peace and He wants you to be at peace. There will always be a time of confusion...religious life or marriage. Our humaness will not allow us (or me) to just pick up my things and go! I am definitely in the muddy stage and have been for a while. Lord please clear up my mind! One may think that entering a religious life would be too much suffering and too much sacrifice. The great thing is is that it is not! Just think of all the worldy things one would not have to put up with. One could devote their whole life to the Lord- I don't think that is classified as suffering! When one does God's Will they truly get 100 fold back. Such a beautiful thing.
hopeful1 Posted December 6, 2003 Posted December 6, 2003 Thanks guys for the support, but to be totally truthful, i'm still leaning toward the marriage side, but i'm starting to be a little more open to the idea of becoming a nun or sister than i have in the past. I've just encountered some things that make me question if either one is right for me and what God wants me to do
JuCa Posted December 6, 2003 Author Posted December 6, 2003 That is amesome that you are becoming more open. Just because you are open to it doesn't mean it's for you. God definitely could have a marriage life in plan for you. And there is always single life! You will be in my prayers : )
sista2b Posted December 6, 2003 Posted December 6, 2003 The first reaction is from God and then human doubts and reasonings come in, or even the little demon muddies the waters, and we get confused. God is not in the muddy water so you would do well to avoid it and cling to our Bl. Mother when the clouds of doubt and confusion try to invade your soul. Our God is a God of peace and He wants you to be at peace. This is exactly what i needed thank you!
JuCa Posted December 6, 2003 Author Posted December 6, 2003 This is exactly what i needed thank you! thanks to Sr. Mary Veronica of the Passionists...
FaustinaVianney Posted December 6, 2003 Posted December 6, 2003 Hopeful1- Just like JuCa said, it's great that you are opening up to Rel Life and you might not be called to it, but because you are open to the idea that 'yeah maybe' you can help your children or others that you know that could be thinking 'yeah maybe.' The big thing we need these days is support, so many people condemn Rel Life and the priesthood, so it makes it tough for those that are feeling called to say 'Yes' to the good Lord. God is good!!! JuCa-those are great words. Those nuns are wonderful!! I don't feel as if the waters are muddy for me, but I get tired of hearing people telling me to "not rush because I've only been Catholic for a year, so I couldn't possilby know that I belong in Rel Life and what order that God wants me in." Some people don't understand that God works quickly at times. I have talked to people that are supposed to help you out and they have only made it worse. It seems as if they don't know what God wants of them, so how could I 'a Catholic toddler' know what I'm supposed to be doing. I talked with Br Thomas the other day, which is kinda like talking with the good Fr Burns (that's what Fr Tony calls him). Br Thomas said that no one knows what is going on inside of us. We are the only ones that knows what God is telling us, so we must be true to that. If do what others tell us instead of what God tells us we can get confused and get on the wrong path. I usually think about things for a good while (a few months or so) before I actually tell anyone what I'm thinking, so that I don't get influenced by others thoughts or opinions. The downfall to that is when I finally tell someone a week or two later I'm acting upon those thoughts they think that I'm acting too quickly and that I didn't give myself enough time to know what God wants. Just because they weren't aware that I was thinking and praying about it doesn't mean I wasn't. Sorry, I just get a heated when people try to run my life instead of their own. I love them for helping me out, but there's a point where they have to let me live and make mistakes. :)
hopeful1 Posted December 7, 2003 Posted December 7, 2003 That is amesome that you are becoming more open. Just because you are open to it doesn't mean it's for you. God definitely could have a marriage life in plan for you. And there is always single life! You will be in my prayers : ) Thanks! I appreciate that JuCa!
BLAZEr Posted December 7, 2003 Posted December 7, 2003 Look who is the featured community at the Institute for Religious Life . . . http://www.religiouslife.org/
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now