An Old School Catholic Message Board

i am a political liberal - and i prove it

Lounge Daddy

i am a political liberal and i vote for the liberal canidate that is  

50 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I'm Anti-Abortion, Pro-War, Pro-Life, Pro-God. I'm also a Transitional Christian (Soon to become Catholic); who is a [color=red][b]Conservative, Republican.[/b][/color]

[quote name='White Knight' date='Oct 17 2005, 08:41 PM']I'm Anti-Abortion, Pro-War, Pro-Life, Pro-God. I'm also a Transitional Christian (Soon to become Catholic); who is a [color=red][b]Conservative, Republican.[/b][/color]
[right][snapback]761816[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Sorry for being so snarky, but "Pro-War"??

Do you like all wars? The more war the better? See a bunch of likely places we ought to invade next? Hey, look at all those nations out there doing their own thing... can't have that.

[i]Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called children of God.[/i]

[quote name='philothea' date='Oct 17 2005, 08:47 PM']Sorry for being so snarky, but "Pro-War"??

Do you like all wars?  The more war the better? See a bunch of likely places we ought to invade next?  Hey, look at all those nations out there doing their own thing... can't have that.

[right][snapback]761824[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I like her!!

[quote name='photosynthesis' date='Oct 17 2005, 08:32 PM']I apologize for the vagueness in that post.  i haven't been sleeping.  I wasn't talking about black vs. white stuff, I was talking about Republican attitudes towards Hispanic people and immigration.  Most of the republicans I know have really negative attitudes towards Hispanics and talk about them like they're taking over the place.  My republican uncle is forever talking about "those darned spanish people" benefiting from U.S. programs and taking all our money.  He thinks they're taking over the world and that they should "stop having so many kids."  As you can probably tell, he's also anti-Catholic.  While most Republicans aren't as extreme as he is, a lot of Republicans want to make English our official language, and I don't want that to happen.
[right][snapback]761801[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I'm also for much more restrictions on immigration and for English as the official language, yet this is not because of racism or hatred of hispanic people.

There are many very good arguments against unlimited immigration. I'm getting tired now, but I discussed this in more detail on another thread on the immigration topic. You might want to check it out.

A nation or culture cannot maintain its identity if it is overwhelmed by people from another culture. There are too many people living and working in this country who have no American identity at all, but are taking American jobs or even taxing American welfare systems.

We need to limit immigration to reasonable levels and crack down harder on illegals.

I'm not saying all immigration is bad, but simply that it needs to be more regulated.

(One of the strongest opponents of "mulitculturalism" and unlimited immigration is Pat Buchanan, who is also a devout Catholic. You should check out his book [i]The Death of the West[/i]. You may not agree with it, but you should at least check out what he says before you condemn people who oppose high immigration.)

For a nation to function, it is best if its citizens speak a common language. Since America's beginning, this has been English. There would be no need to "officiate" this, except that with high immigration, there are now many people living in this country whose knowlege of English is so poor that they cannot function literately in American Society (and it is considered "un-p.c." to "enforce" English on them.) THis is absurd.

English as a national language has its precedent early in American history when it was decided that founding documents would be published only in English, and not in German, as some had suggested.

Edited by Socrates

[quote name='philothea' date='Oct 17 2005, 08:41 PM']:rolleyes:

Dearest Al, I am sorry, but you do not have any idea what you are talking about!

One example: almost [i]all[/i] police enforcement is undertaken by local municipalities.  When was the last time the FBI stopped a reckless driver near you?

Trust me, there's plenty of important governance done at the local level.  (Alas...)
[right][snapback]761815[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

He's saying that more should be done at local levels, not that nothing is.

photosynthesis

[quote name='philothea' date='Oct 17 2005, 09:47 PM']Sorry for being so snarky, but "Pro-War"??

Do you like all wars?  The more war the better? See a bunch of likely places we ought to invade next?  Hey, look at all those nations out there doing their own thing... can't have that.

[right][snapback]761824[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
in response to the fact that probably 75% of my campus attended a local anti-war protest (skipping class to do it!) the other 25% staged a war cry! It was fun...we just ran around the campus screaming.

[quote name='MC Just' date='Oct 17 2005, 07:39 PM']In the Brief to the La Croix, a Belgium journal, on the 24th of May, 1874, the Pope expresses himself thus:

"We cannot do less than to praise the design expressed in this letter, which we know your journal will satisfactorily fulfill, the design to publish, to spread, to comment on and inculcate in all minds all that the Holy See teaches against the perverse or at least false doctrines professed in so many quarters, and particularly against Liberal Catholicism, bitterly striving to conciliate light with darkness and truth with error."
[right][snapback]761750[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

But you seem to confuse liberalism with Liberal Catholicism. While Liberal Catholicism can be justifiably seen as dangerous, liberalism isn't the same thing.

People can accuse me of liberalism. No one can accuse me of being liberal with Catholicism.

Edited by jaime

[quote name='Socrates' date='Oct 17 2005, 09:00 PM']He's saying that more should be done at local levels, not that nothing is.
[right][snapback]761851[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

[quote]the way it is now, local governments are panzie-governments whose main concern is whether the grass at the local municipal center should be cut once or twice a week[/quote]

I'm sorry, I must have missed the mental footnote added to this. You are obviously a much more discerning reader than I am. :P:

[quote name='photosynthesis' date='Oct 17 2005, 09:00 PM']in response to the fact that probably 75% of my campus attended a local anti-war protest (skipping class to do it!) the other 25% staged a war cry!  It was fun...we just ran around the campus screaming.
[right][snapback]761852[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Why get an education when you can just run around screaming slogans?

[quote name='philothea' date='Oct 17 2005, 09:41 PM']:rolleyes:

Dearest Al, I am sorry, but you do not have any idea what you are talking about!

One example: almost [i]all[/i] police enforcement is undertaken by local municipalities.  When was the last time the FBI stopped a reckless driver near you?

Trust me, there's plenty of important governance done at the local level.  (Alas...)
[right][snapback]761815[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

my hyperboles make dolphins cry.

photosynthesis

[quote name='Socrates' date='Oct 17 2005, 10:15 PM']Why get an education when you can just run around screaming slogans?
[right][snapback]761870[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
haha.. that's all anyone ever does around here. the local protest was HUGE... many professors cancelled class so they could go, too. None participated in the war cry, though.

[quote name='hot stuff' date='Oct 17 2005, 09:00 PM']But you seem to confuse liberalism with Liberal Catholicism.  While Liberal Catholicism can be justifiably seen as dangerous, liberalism isn't the same thing. 

People can accuse me of liberalism.  No one can accuse me of being liberal with Catholicism.
[right][snapback]761853[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

:) Thanks for doing that for me, I probably would've said something less clear and less nice. You're my faaaavvvvooooourrrriiitteee.

franciscanheart

[quote name='crusader1234' date='Oct 17 2005, 10:27 PM']:) Thanks for doing that for me, I probably would've said something less clear and less nice.  You're my faaaavvvvooooourrrriiitteee.
[right][snapback]762012[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
:hehe: he spelled it with a 'u'

[quote name='crusader1234' date='Oct 17 2005, 10:27 PM']:) Thanks for doing that for me, I probably would've said something less clear and less nice.  You're my faaaavvvvooooourrrriiitteee.
[right][snapback]762012[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Yay! I'm somebody's favorite!! :twist: