Jaime Posted November 8, 2005 Posted November 8, 2005 I see it both ways on the board. So which is it? This may get hotly contested and sent to the debate board.
franciscanheart Posted November 8, 2005 Posted November 8, 2005 [b]Y'ALL[/b] common sense people. the comma goes where the omitted letters once were. y'all is the contraction for 'you all'. the 'o' and 'u' are omitted from the word 'you' therefore the apostrophe will be placed after the 'y' and before the 'a'. very simple really.
dspen2005 Posted November 8, 2005 Posted November 8, 2005 y'all... it's the only way. whoever says otherwise, isn't southern..... btw, ROCK ON VA!!!
toledo_jesus Posted November 8, 2005 Posted November 8, 2005 either is correct. Though the second one strikes me as the better choice. wait no, I take it back. typing ya'll is more fun. y-a-apostrophe-double l...it just flows
Jaime Posted November 8, 2005 Author Posted November 8, 2005 [quote name='toledo_jesus' date='Nov 8 2005, 03:17 PM']either is correct. Though the second one strikes me as the better choice. wait no, I take it back. typing ya'll is more fun. y-a-apostrophe-double l...it just flows [right][snapback]782760[/snapback][/right] [/quote] Now that's a committed response!
shortnun Posted November 8, 2005 Posted November 8, 2005 (edited) This word is a conjunction (does anyone else start to sing schoolhouse rocks?). A conjunction combines two words into one. The apostrophe replaces the letter or letters that are not missing. madam.........ma'am.......... the D is missing I have............ I've.................. the HA is missing [b]You all.......... y'all...................the OU is missing[/b] Raised in the south all my life, for a variety of reasons, 'y'all' and 'coke' are the hardest colloquialisms to erradicate. : Edited November 8, 2005 by shortnun
Jaime Posted November 8, 2005 Author Posted November 8, 2005 [quote name='hugheyforlife' date='Nov 8 2005, 03:20 PM'] please note edited response. [right][snapback]782764[/snapback][/right] [/quote] You don't even use the apostrophe!
franciscanheart Posted November 8, 2005 Posted November 8, 2005 [quote name='hot stuff' date='Nov 8 2005, 03:22 PM']You don't even use the apostrophe! [right][snapback]782766[/snapback][/right] [/quote] what are you TALKING about?
Jaime Posted November 8, 2005 Author Posted November 8, 2005 [quote name='hugheyforlife' date='Nov 8 2005, 03:26 PM'] what are you TALKING about? [right][snapback]782771[/snapback][/right] [/quote] ahem [quote]I'M A GIRL NOT A MAN [b]YALL[/b]! It is easy in the world to live after the world's opinion; it is easy in solitude to live life after our own; but the great man is he who in the midst of the crowd keeps with perfect sweetness the independence of solitude. [/quote] I think your vote just got nullified missy!!
franciscanheart Posted November 8, 2005 Posted November 8, 2005 [quote name='hot stuff' date='Nov 8 2005, 03:29 PM']ahem I think your vote just got nullified missy!! [right][snapback]782776[/snapback][/right] [/quote] i think you're loopy..... i used an apostrophe.
sweetpea316 Posted November 8, 2005 Posted November 8, 2005 It's supposed to be y'all... but I usually get lazy and don't even put the apostrophe in.
franciscanheart Posted November 8, 2005 Posted November 8, 2005 [quote name='sweetpea316' date='Nov 8 2005, 03:33 PM']It's supposed to be y'all... but I usually get lazy and don't even put the apostrophe in. [right][snapback]782782[/snapback][/right] [/quote] [i]me too.... but shhhh that's our secret....[/i]
Jaime Posted November 8, 2005 Author Posted November 8, 2005 [quote name='hugheyforlife' date='Nov 8 2005, 03:32 PM'] i think you're loopy..... i used an apostrophe. [right][snapback]782781[/snapback][/right] [/quote] I think you changed your sig :
dspen2005 Posted November 8, 2005 Posted November 8, 2005 [quote name='toledo_jesus' date='Nov 8 2005, 04:17 PM']either is correct. Though the second one strikes me as the better choice. wait no, I take it back. typing ya'll is more fun. y-a-apostrophe-double l...it just flows [right][snapback]782760[/snapback][/right] [/quote] are u on crack, neal???? two things cannot be correct -- there is a right way and a wrong way .... and it's y'all. PERIOD!
franciscanheart Posted November 8, 2005 Posted November 8, 2005 [quote name='hot stuff' date='Nov 8 2005, 03:37 PM']I think you changed your sig : [right][snapback]782790[/snapback][/right] [/quote]
argent_paladin Posted November 8, 2005 Posted November 8, 2005 [quote name='shortnun' date='Nov 8 2005, 03:21 PM']This word is a conjunction (does anyone else start to sing schoolhouse rocks?). A conjunction combines two words into one. The apostrophe replaces the letter or letters that are not missing. madam.........ma'am.......... the D is missing I have............ I've.................. the HA is missing [b]You all.......... y'all...................the OU is missing[/b] Raised in the south all my life, for a variety of reasons, 'y'all' and 'coke' are the hardest colloquialisms to erradicate. : [right][snapback]782765[/snapback][/right] [/quote] Then what letters does the apostrophe in "won't" replace?
dspen2005 Posted November 8, 2005 Posted November 8, 2005 no need to answer -- that's a northern thing... hahaha
scardella Posted November 8, 2005 Posted November 8, 2005 [quote name='argent_paladin' date='Nov 8 2005, 03:49 PM']Then what letters does the apostrophe in "won't" replace? [right][snapback]782806[/snapback][/right] [/quote] I don't know, but I willn't attempt to speculate...
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now