photosynthesis Posted November 8, 2005 Posted November 8, 2005 I think it's y'all. But I'm not really a Southerner, I just go to college in Maryland, which is the New Jersey of the South.
tojo Posted November 8, 2005 Posted November 8, 2005 [quote name='photosynthesis' date='Nov 8 2005, 04:17 PM']I think it's y'all. But I'm not really a Southerner, I just go to college in Maryland, which is the New Jersey of the South. [right][snapback]782834[/snapback][/right] [/quote] Midwesterner (*shudders*) wants to know: what is the significance of that?
photosynthesis Posted November 8, 2005 Posted November 8, 2005 [quote name='tomasio127' date='Nov 8 2005, 04:23 PM']Midwesterner (*shudders*) wants to know: what is the significance of that? [right][snapback]782844[/snapback][/right] [/quote] MD is one of the only blue states below the Mason-Dixon line... Baltimore reminds me a lot of Camden and Newark, and Baltimore County is a lot like where I grew up outside NYC. plus, both states have corrupt, bureaucratic governments
photosynthesis Posted November 8, 2005 Posted November 8, 2005 although MD has Alan Keyes and NJ doesn't.
Jaime Posted November 8, 2005 Author Posted November 8, 2005 [quote name='hugheyforlife' date='Nov 8 2005, 03:46 PM'] [right][snapback]782802[/snapback][/right] [/quote] Oh fess up already Hughey
Paphnutius Posted November 8, 2005 Posted November 8, 2005 Just curious...anyone use the word aint? If so, where does that apostrophe go?
Sojourner Posted November 8, 2005 Posted November 8, 2005 [quote name='Paphnutius' date='Nov 8 2005, 05:23 PM']Just curious...anyone use the word aint? If so, where does that apostrophe go? [right][snapback]782926[/snapback][/right] [/quote] ain't But ain't ain't a word. And it's y'all.
StColette Posted November 8, 2005 Posted November 8, 2005 [quote name='Paphnutius' date='Nov 8 2005, 05:23 PM']Just curious...anyone use the word aint? If so, where does that apostrophe go? [right][snapback]782926[/snapback][/right] [/quote] I say ain't all the time lol I also say "fixin to" lol Micah makes fun of me about that lol
Sojourner Posted November 8, 2005 Posted November 8, 2005 [quote name='StColette' date='Nov 8 2005, 05:33 PM']I say ain't all the time lol I also say "fixin to" lol Micah makes fun of me about that lol [right][snapback]782957[/snapback][/right] [/quote] As in, "I'm fixin' to go to the store"? I love that. I think I'll adopt it.
StColette Posted November 8, 2005 Posted November 8, 2005 [quote name='Sojourner' date='Nov 8 2005, 05:34 PM']As in, "I'm fixin' to go to the store"? I love that. I think I'll adopt it. [right][snapback]782960[/snapback][/right] [/quote] yes lol like "I'm fixin to go to the store" lol He cracks everytime that I say it lol
God's Errand Girl Posted November 8, 2005 Posted November 8, 2005 I can't believe I'm about to say this, being a Language Arts teacher and all, but the correct punctuation for the word is [b]y'all.[/b] (if you even want to begin arguing that this is a legitimate word) Technically, "y'all" would be considered a contraction which stands for the words "you" and "all". The apostrophe normally replaces the missing letters of a word.
franciscanheart Posted November 8, 2005 Posted November 8, 2005 [quote name='StColette' date='Nov 8 2005, 05:19 PM']I never put the comma lol I just say yall [right][snapback]782915[/snapback][/right] [/quote] its prolly better that you dont or we might all look at you funny [quote name='StColette' date='Nov 8 2005, 05:33 PM']I say ain't all the time lol I also say "fixin to" lol Micah makes fun of me about that lol [right][snapback]782957[/snapback][/right] [/quote] fixin to is so common i dont even think about saying it. it doesnt seem odd to me so the only time i think about it is when you mention micah laughing about it. that and when i go to the docs show and they do the sketch with the funny words JEET - did you eat? and a ton of others i cant ever remember but are absolutely hilarious because we say em every day without thinking about it.
franciscanheart Posted November 8, 2005 Posted November 8, 2005 Oh.... M R BUGS them are bugs. M R BUGS okay i guess you have to see the show to appreciate it but whatever....
franciscanheart Posted November 8, 2005 Posted November 8, 2005 [quote name='hot stuff' date='Nov 8 2005, 05:16 PM']Oh fess up already Hughey [right][snapback]782913[/snapback][/right] [/quote] alright alright. i edited my sig. now ive edited it back. are ya happy now, Lupe?
Colleen Posted November 9, 2005 Posted November 9, 2005 (edited) It's ya'll, ya'll. Believe me, I'm a convert to "ya'll." Being a Midwestern girl, I never really used the term until I started conversing with a certain Southern gentleman. He corrected me when I would spell it "y'all." Apparently, that's incorrect. Now, being a Northerner, I thought that "y" stood for "you." But I was informed that this was not the case, because according to a certain Southern gentleman, the "y" actually stands for "ya." So the contraction really should be "ya'll" as in "ya all." Or so I'm told. Don't believe me? Read [url="http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/index.php?showtopic=23416"]this thread[/url]. (Wow, it's exactly a year and a day old. Really odd coincidence. ) Edited November 9, 2005 by Colleen
Jazz4jesus Posted November 9, 2005 Posted November 9, 2005 i was told its ya'll i do it yall, just easier, take away the '
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now